• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astra Lost in Space (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancelotginus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Lancelotginus wrote:
The way episode 4 started it was more like asstra lost in space right? Ha ha ha

I did really wonder if that scene was going to make it in from the maga. What I want to know is, why does Zack wash the gloves (?) on his space suit? Did he get, ahem, distracted when he walked into the shower, maybe? Embarassed Wink If he got crud on them doing mech work someplace, I'd assume there would be cleaner in the machinery spaces for that. Yah know, in the sci-fi equivalent of the janitor's closet.

Still enjoying the show.

He’s like the rest of us, in the spirit after re-watching End of Evangelion.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5

We open back on the home world, with one of the parents checking for email from her missing daughter. Then we get a meeting of the parents, with a proposal from one that they spoiler[try to get the kids declared legally dead. It's gone past 30 days, after all. Only one objection]. One parent, a politician, is absent givingspoiler[ a government mandated DNA sample. Evidently the gov wants a sample of every persons DNA.]

Wonder what this all means...

Arie's mom checks for email again with no result, looks to the sky, and wistfully says "Be Safe..."

We switch back to the kids and they're spoiler[having a blast in one of the better beach episodes I've seen in a while. Smile Irony, maybe?]

After some fan service and some interpersonal relationship exchanges, teen-age style,
a couple of the kids are fishing and one has spoiler[a jaw-dropping reaction to something.]

Then we have eats on the beach by the ship. Most everybody agrees,spoiler[ this damn planet is so nice they could just stay there forever.]

Then there just has to be a kid, spoiler[ that party-pooper, who pulls out a real pistol, sticks it on another kids head, and says, "Don't move or I'll shoot." ] Danged if it just seems to happen at parties these days. So we get a little cliff hanger ending for this ep.

Adding the parents back in seems to thicken the plot a bit more than usual for this show.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
im spoilering this, but think About it: spoiler[ lt could be gate as sci fi Show. If kanata bumps in the fountain at the beginning, everything after only happen in his head. 1. there is an Ship if he need one. 2. he practically stump over the Cable Roll. 3. it has exactly 9 seats. 4. the Trampolin trees are all in his reach. 5. the javelin lies there when he needed it. ]

Second best theorie is: they all still in that bubble / sphere Thing, and it is an test / simulation who is fitted for real space Tasks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
So Ulgar is thinking that Luca is the assassin, because he does trust who Luca's father is, and again how I was thinking Ulgar is a misdirect, I am also kind of liking Luca more and don't think it is them either. Maybe reading too much into the scene that despite how he seemed to turn intentions after learning who Luca's father is, a politician, Ulgar did not afford nearly as much patience in conversation to Charce. So if it does turn out that Charce had some more ulterior motives in being liked, Luca was more genuine, maybe that is why Ulgar did not feel to care to talk to Charce. Although, Ulgar hardly seems like the most sensitive kind.

Also, Zack's parent is working on some sort of technology to transplant memories, something that Quitterie's mother is helping with, and suddenly brings home a "daughter of a friend" that looks just like a younger Quitterie. One could see a possible connection.

And in addition, despite the events the episode finished on, is there this slight feeling of a Luca x Ulgar ship? I am not usually one to get BL goggles, or randomly ship male characters, but here I am.

Three of them crying by having to say goodbye to their bird friends, was pretty funny.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And in addition, despite the events the episode finished on, is there this slight feeling of a Luca x Ulgar ship? I am not usually one to get BL goggles, or randomly ship male characters, but here I am.

Luca is presumably a genetically modified clone of Marco... wow, they're just dumping the plot away in episode 5 because two other character's parents are working on the tech to put somone's mind in another body, that's... convenient to his line about "it's tearing apart my body". Anyway, Luca is... in an episode where they're on a planet where the females reproduce asexually, that's not foreshadowing, that's telling the plot in advance... look, there are two possibilities, female or hermaphrodite.

I feel like Crow from the episode of MST3k about "Mr." B Natural who's portrayed by a woman... why am I the only one who sees Luca has breasts? Either way, ship away. That's what the show was aiming for, regardless.

Episode 4: That was bad. That was so bad, I was having Prometheus flashbacks of "Don't open your helmet, you idiot!" even before I said "Don't open your helmet, you idiot!" Plant as an apex predator, nice idea. An apex predator that's a colony consisting of at least two different fungi where the big ones attacks its prey while the small is a cure for the big one's poison, one that's seemingly available just to "maintain the balance" so the big one doesn't kill everything... ignoring the idea that those things should have evolved an immunity to it by now... which I have to because the whole relationships reeks of "intelligent design" or rather human designed "science" that actually tried to apply Catch and Release to fungi... or it could be outright intelligence.

Episode 5. It wasn't intelligence as it's really quite delicious, a trait most intelligent creatures pass on. But enough about that mess, we have to move onto "Space!" My respect for this show, which already had sunk because of episode 4... don't get me started on the Cure Poison Through Song conclusion..., has bottomed out because of "Space!" Did you know 99.99% of the universe is inhospitable to life? That's "Space!" Why, if an entire class goes missing, plus their luggage, why wouldn't "abduction" be the first conclusion reached by the only person who seems interested in finding their child? Yes, the VP "knows" what's "going on" so he agrees with Mrs. Spring that "Space!" was his first thought too... it's a large group, you have tech, you either know they're on the planet or not. They have FTL but not transponders in the communication equipment in case something goes wrong?
And I find it hilarious that most of the parents look like their offspring except for Esposito and Spring.

I was wrong about the horns, the rest of it still seems on track.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Anyway, Luca is... in an episode where they're on a planet where the females reproduce asexually, that's not foreshadowing, that's telling the plot in advance... look, there are two possibilities, female or hermaphrodite.

I did say earlier that Luca looks a little androgynous.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 4: That was bad. That was so bad, I was having Prometheus flashbacks of "Don't open your helmet, you idiot!" even before I said "Don't open your helmet, you idiot!"

Not going to say that they shouldn't have removed their helmets, but there can be good reasons for them to do so. Their breather may not be as free as it would without, with heavy breathing may also have risk of obscuring their vision. It may also feel restricting and raise anxiety a bit. And their conversations have to be over group radio instead of what is right in front of them, so communication can be a bit troubling. I have not been stuck inside an enclosed system for hours that goes as far as a couple inches from your face, acting as a barrier to everything you observe, hearing your own breath like an echo of how you are sperate from everyone around you while it is off.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Plant as an apex predator, nice idea. An apex predator that's a colony consisting of at least two different fungi where the big ones attacks its prey while the small is a cure for the big one's poison, one that's seemingly available just to "maintain the balance" so the big one doesn't kill everything... ignoring the idea that those things should have evolved an immunity to it by now... which I have to because the whole relationships reeks of "intelligent design" or rather human designed "science" that actually tried to apply Catch and Release to fungi... or it could be outright intelligence.

I suppose that it is like fruit a nice tasting and edible piece of flesh from a tree, that is actually meant for animals to eat it. I am sure there are people who see the whole idea of a plant like that being natural as ridiculous, and argue for intelligent design, but it is just natural evolution for spreading seeds. The poison mushroom might be a long line of evolution around where it thrived in getting prey close when it kills such prey, eventually having the self created cure as a lure. I don't really know the xenobiology or anything, but you could claim the prey might evolve to become resistant, the mushrooms are maybe advancing from consuming the prey killed?

Animegomaniac wrote:
Did you know 99.99% of the universe is inhospitable to life? That's "Space!" Why, if an entire class goes missing, plus their luggage, why wouldn't "abduction" be the first conclusion reached by the only person who seems interested in finding their child? Yes, the VP "knows" what's "going on" so he agrees with Mrs. Spring that "Space!" was his first thought too... it's a large group, you have tech, you either know they're on the planet or not. They have FTL but not transponders in the communication equipment in case something goes wrong?

May be that searching on a planet would be infinitely easier than searching space. It would probably have to be some sort of super advanced tech of looking for radiation marks of another ship in atmosphere, which could not guarantee direction. You would then have to start searching in different directions, while their are no highways in space, and thus could go in any direction, be really far distances apart, where then how would you question people, or have clearance for records. You might as well say that some kids got lost in the bush, and can't be found anywhere so the obvious answer is they flew a helicopter out. Regardless, the theories of them getting off the planet on a ship would come to nothing, because they were not, but actually some unknown spatial anomaly. Transponders strong enough to guarantee destruction like their running theory of the lake, may be far too expensive for a school camp. The Astra's communication equipment was susceptible enough that it could be disabled from precision alteration.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

So, Luca is intersex, biologically both male and female. But he identifies as male, and yet there was some implications that now things are in the open he is comfortable amongst both groups, the boys and the girls. And he definitely has something going on with Ulgar. Don't really see intersex people in, well anything, and I am aware that there are real cases, so it is nice that this anime seems to doing the subject and without being weird with it, since I think non-binary is something that can come across as done weirdly.

Ulgar too, where he is following a trail that his great older was brother was killed for looking into Luca's father. Both of their fathers apparently don't think the best of them, and if memory serves they both felt similar things when we saw what was happening with the parents.

Also, Aries with her photographic memory, cannot remember Charce in the only biology class for their year. With how vague Charce was being just beforehand on the teacher, it seems clear that Charce was probably not in their year/school. With a dangerous smile, kind of feels like Mr perfect here just shot up the list of possible people thrown on this trip to make sure no one made it back. Although, who knows what is happening on the Aries end.

And an extra addition, I noticed this time that Yun Hua has changed in the OP to now have her shorter hair and happier version.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
There goes my Gate Theory Razz But i have an new one. Some of those Kids are Clones (Kanata, Zack, Yunha…) +maybe a little plastic Chirugie here and there; and there are at last 2 Parties involved. One is: "lets test them / if the capable of thinking and acting for themself". Maybe the sphere thingie would not really kill them. The other is: lets kill a few of them. (let it look like some accidents). I guess Funicas Mom and Ulgars Brother are Vicitims of Party 2 for sure. Charge, you say? He had a lot Opportunitys to meddle with their Food before. In an lot of ,Thrillers` the real Culprit try to blame others for his deeds. So its unclear where Aries really stand. She can also lying: "nope, i dont have seen him in my class." There could an couple of Reasons why he wasnt there
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
So they saw Interstellar as well. I'd probably be enjoying this show more if I wasn't so well experienced in sci fi. It was bad enough I couldn't stop laughing through Ulgar's backstory.

"I want a cap. I want to be like you, Big Brother. One day, he died. He fell off a building."
The show's putting details in the wrong order with the wrong emphasis again. Yes, I'm sure there's more about his brother's death that will come out but they shouldn't undercut their own story by being too vague.

And then there's Luca. I don't know which fact I find more unbelievable, that a political position as low as Senator can be inherited or that Luca's adopted or maybe he was told he was adopted.

And I look forward to the point where someone just outright asks "OK, is there someone not hiding something? Hands up... and we'll include the puppet."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

In all honesty, Charce's story feels like the first one that does not make it look like he is up to funny business. They all seemed to find it sad, but at least to me it does not quite explain away much. I am not even entirely sure that Seira is even real, although him apologizing to her while he is alone does help, but even that makes me wonder what he might have been apologizing for. I did read some comments that connected some things I may have not really noticed, but Seira is indeed Aries backwards, and the two share some similarity, with Charce even saying Aries is like her. Assuming she is real, and that there is a connection to Aries, wondering if Aries is Seira having woken up with lost memory but gained photographic, or Aries is maybe something like a clone.

Another thing about Charce, is that the girl on the derelict ship that looks like the Astra, but left for 12 years, the has some resemblance to Charce, with blonde hair and grey eyes. They said that the ship was damaged in different way to theirs, so hopefully they can scavenge pieces to fix the Astra.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
It does seem like kind of a dick move to wake up the woman who put herself into cold sleep in the desperate hope she might get lucky and be rescued, only to say "oh, yeah, we can't really rescue you, though. We were just curious."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Well, if they plan to use parts of her ship to fix their own, it would probably be nicer to wake her up now rather than when they have already have decided to do such.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Is it really a surprise when I think most the audience already suspected it? The end episode cliffhanger being a reveal that Quitterie and Funicia "are the same person" which more of means that their DNA is identical, so Funicia is a clone of Quitterie, or they are both ones of their mother. Might leave more questions of if Funicia's entire past is a lie, whether there is a mother, which could otherwise mean that her memories were implanted.

The more interesting bit revealed was the girl from the cryosleep, Polina, freaked out from finding out that 12 years had past. The general freak out of being asleep for many years is not new to sci-fi, but Polina's freak-out did not seem to be just because a long time has past, but whether something did or did not happen. Polina passed it off as just being confused, but storytelling would say that this was something important.

Zack also had quite a moment in this episode, a romantic one with Quitterie. Woo woo.

Also, note to people looking into disappearances of crew who went out and never returned on a planet of dangerous plants. If you see a wreckage that is presumably where they ended up, maybe a dog tag and no other remains, presume the plants that killed them are about to do the same to you. I swear, none of them have a sense of danger for alien environments that they don't understand.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
The folks seem to pop between smart and dumb as the story requires. For another example, cannibalizing the ship for parts should have been literally the first thing they thought of when they saw it was similar to their own, but it apparently doesn't occur to any of them until Aries does her fruit thingie.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
The folks seem to pop between smart and dumb as the story requires. For another example, cannibalizing the ship for parts should have been literally the first thing they thought of when they saw it was similar to their own, but it apparently doesn't occur to any of them until Aries does her fruit thingie.

I thought it kind of odd too, but I do think that there could be some valid explanations. The ship technology may be so advanced that simply taking pieces from one ship to do another would be conceptually impossible without a high amount of specialized skill and special tools. Like having two broken laptops, where you only have a large flat head screwdriver or a pair of scissors that you would be more likely to cause damage that you probably would not be able to fix. Only by chance does this type of laptop able to disconnect from its screen, and you only just found out that the screen of the other one might be okay, before you found out that someone had been asleep in that laptop for 12 years.

Okay, the example kind of went of the rails towards the end, but it can be a bit of a mistake to just assume you can often even have a like comparison in sci-fi. Just modern times cars have been getting increasingly complex with having computers be part of the vehicle. Where one might have used to think that you could fix a car that is almost falling apart with some semi-complex but doable mechanic knowledge and tools, probably wouldn't be too long before that is entirely impossible without having complex computer skills and equipment, that cars probably won't have just kept in them, or accessible to a bunch of high schoolers taking shop.

While it can seem obvious, it could be like someone only familiar with old wooden ships, that could be fixed with some patchwork of wood, rope and fabric, and saying why can't you do the same to a modern day battle ship that is broken. As you stare at them as if they are dumb for not understanding the difference between a sail an a motor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3