• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires U.K. Anime Distributor Manga Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
chappellefan wrote:
I have a number of concerns of corporations acquiring smaller companies for the sole use of distributing rights.

It's a smart business tactic, but I fear the consumer is the one who loses at the end.
Everyone's been complaining for years that Funimation doesn't adequately serve the UK/Ireland, yet when they make moves to address this, it's "concerning"? Damned if they don't, damned if they do, I guess.

Quote:
Ugh. As a long time Manga Ent customer, this fills me with dread. Prices and geo blocks are coming up I fear.

And yet the article literally says, "Some titles will be available in the region for the first time." Isn't that the exact opposite of "geo blocks coming up"?
ebronstein

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean we're going to see more of the classics from 50+ years ago on Funimation?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Not that this was likely, but this pretty much confirms Manga UK will never, ever release the Canadian Dragon Ball dubs (which was aired on TV there) on home video.
Lann

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny how everyone talks about Mangas partnership with Funi. For me, who hasn't heard of Manga ent since GITS SAC was released, I would have said they have more of a partnership with Bandai. But yeah, i'm out of the loop and I know what happened to Bandai. I guess I didn't know Manga was still around, let alone having a more modern logo.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
chappellefan wrote:
I have a number of concerns of corporations acquiring smaller companies for the sole use of distributing rights.

It's a smart business tactic, but I fear the consumer is the one who loses at the end.

It's necessary to make direct to consumer streaming viable.

Regional distributors where needed when you had to deal with dozens if not hundreds of retail stores per nation to sell a physical copy of a film or TV show.

But now it's global streaming over the internet from maybe half a dozen servers for the entire world.

The times have changed and there is no going back and honestly do you really want to? £4.99 a month for FunimationNow when back when I got into anime Manga entertainment was selling single 30 minute dub only OAV episodes of Guyver and New Dominion Tank Police on VHS for £5.99 each.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This mean Funimation can finally re-release Dragon Ball Super: Broly with Manga UK's video master (without green tint)? Read the audio dub mix for the U.S. release has issues too...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
chappellefan wrote:

It's necessary to make direct to consumer streaming viable.

Regional distributors where needed when you had to deal with dozens if not hundreds of retail stores per nation to sell a physical copy of a film or TV show.

But now it's global streaming over the internet from maybe half a dozen servers for the entire world.

The times have changed and there is no going back and honestly do you really want to? £4.99 a month for FunimationNow when back when I got into anime Manga entertainment was selling single 30 minute dub only OAV episodes of Guyver and New Dominion Tank Police on VHS for £5.99 each.
Streaming rights and home media rights are separate. And having local distributors is better than having it all funnelled through one company. We got Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star a few years ago on Blu-Ray, but if it had been released through a Funimation owned company, then we would have had to have waited for a US release, which took sometime, and then a UK release.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment...didn't that used to be part of Central Park Media, if I'm correct?

If so, I wonder if Funimation would ever re-release or redub some of their works or something (a lot of their dubs were usually terrible)...
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Manga Entertainment...didn't that used to be part of Central Park Media, if I'm correct?

If so, I wonder if Funimation would ever re-release or redub some of their works or something (a lot of their dubs were usually terrible)...

You're thinking of U.S. Manga Corps, which was one of CPM's divisions. Manga Entertainment has always been a separate company.
Akane Mizuno

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
So is this why all of Funimation titles vanished from Anime Ltd website. I was hoping to finish off my Fairy Tail collection then poof vanished. Went of Manga releases cause they were lack luster and didn’t offer the vast variety of collectors editions Anime Ltd did. Hopefully Funimation can turn manga around and gives me an SSSS Gridman UK release hint hint. Anime LTD is still the best anime distributor in the UK
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes the neighborhood!! Shit on sony/aniplex/crapamation, makes me glad I stopped buying physical releases releases from them-only Sentai and Viz for me-if I buy anything at all. This whole miasma does not bid well for the anime consumers of the world.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
My awareness of Manga UK mainly comes from repeatedly having to tell UK subscribers on Crunchyroll that there was no legal way to stream the catalog shows they wanted to watch, whose rights for the region belonged to Manga UK.

So I second everything Zalis116 wrote.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
My awareness of Manga UK mainly comes from repeatedly having to tell UK subscribers on Crunchyroll that there was no legal way to stream the catalog shows they wanted to watch, whose rights for the region belonged to Manga UK.

So I second everything Zalis116 wrote.
Well that's a first, so far every show I've heard of that wasn't streamable was because they said it was not licensed in the UK. Discotek and Funiamtion put up shows that no one in the UK holds the license to, and yet not available in the UK. And it's not like they can't, Miss Machiko is from Discotek and I can watch that. There is also the little matter of streaming and home video, unless Manga acquire both and don't bother streaming.
crh1985

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Recall for green tint incoming
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Akane Mizuno wrote:
So is this why all of Funimation titles vanished from Anime Ltd website. I was hoping to finish off my Fairy Tail collection then poof vanished. Went of Manga releases cause they were lack luster and didn’t offer the vast variety of collectors editions Anime Ltd did. Hopefully Funimation can turn manga around and gives me an SSSS Gridman UK release hint hint. Anime LTD is still the best anime distributor in the UK

MVM (https://www.mvm-films.com/) and United Publications (http://www.up1.co.uk/) are the best places to get physical releases in the UK.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3