• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Revisions in Japanese Law Make Save Data Editing, Console Modding Illegal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
This is ridiculous.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
I have a number of consoles that can play video games through modded chip, where i can play the games on number of regions (including NTSC, NTSC-J) this kind of new law implementations is going to be worse. It also doesn't help that this could lead an poor sales to the poor people who never own new consoles that are very expensive (i puchased P1 on 2004, PS2 on 2009/2010 and PS3 on 2016, both we're old and price dropped when the new console comes out every year) and i wait for Nintendo Switch to get price dropped, but this new lew that will be implemented somehow will cause me to lose my faith on interest on Nintendo games and console of all.

I hope that this new law will not be implemented someday and i am sure if this get implemented, there will be a lots of protests for the overseas gaming fans for Japan acting really horrible countries and not doing well at international stuff.

(sorry for my poor English)
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

Governments passing restrictive legislation on things they don't understand to attempt to attract corporate sponsors for their reelection campaigns is hardly a uniquely Japanese phenomenon.

This seems like a pretty pointless thing for the Japanese government to spend time on, but no doubt some lobbyists were very well paid to put this on the government agenda.

eah, I know Out-of-Touch Leadership is an Universal thing. I live in a Southern European country. I would know. Smile I guess it's just that the LDP has a particular flavor of tone-deafness that I can't help but point out.

With that said, there is a strong corporate lobby there, and particularly the tech industry. I mean, as I said, getting one mp3 file might already get you in trouble.

Friki del Mal wrote:
"Corporatocracy", some people say.

Pretty much.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
That familiar game of cat and mouse. Since console modders are likely to pay as little heed to laws as they are to their own warranties, online software-level detection is still the only way to police any such tweaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As someone familiar with console modding and repair... I say HAHA good luck.
When you pay $$ for something it's yours. It no longer belongs to Sony or Microsoft or whoever.. This is also playing out over here in the US with the right to repair movement, just on items and devices much more costly then a game console.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
lol what a coincidence this law coming about, when news of Nintendo start arising about they couldn't keep secret the fact that their first batches of Switches were hardware compromised leading to the after mentioned console modding, that results in people playing pirate games...
Funny if it was a few small companies being ripped off profits they wouldn't lift a finger.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is going to be enforced for modding retro consoles (Saturn, PS1, N64, etc.) to work with HDMI on modern TVs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2