• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos Anime Film License Expires on November 21

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Honestly, the new price tag for the FMA:B series is absurd. I just bought the complete UK version for £30, so about 40$. That leaves you with 160$ to get a region B player. Just saying.

Which is precisely why I made sure to get my blu-ray copies when the expiration was announced. I was on the fence since I had the DVDs, but I figured I'd regret it if I ended up waiting for even a "cheap" AoA release.

The non-renewals that bother me are the ones that haven't, and likely never will, result in any rerelease. I doubt if Aniplex has any plans to do anything with Sekirei, for example. And if not, then why not take the easy money and let other companies renew? Even a small renewal fee is better than just sitting on it. It's difficult not to see it as a jerk move when the common sense business decision would be to let someone pay you for property you didn't intend to use yourself.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Coup d'État wrote:
Honestly, the new price tag for the FMA:B series is absurd. I just bought the complete UK version for £30, so about 40$. That leaves you with 160$ to get a region B player. Just saying.

Which is precisely why I made sure to get my blu-ray copies when the expiration was announced. I was on the fence since I had the DVDs, but I figured I'd regret it if I ended up waiting for even a "cheap" AoA release.

Compared to the typical AoA prices, their FMA: B sets are cheap. I paid about $170 for the 5 Funimation BD sets. The $200 that AoA is charging for 64 episodes and 4 OVA's is not bad; I honestly don't get the indignation from some fans.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Coup d'État wrote:

Compared to the typical AoA prices, their FMA: B sets are cheap. I paid about $170 for the 5 Funimation BD sets. The $200 that AoA is charging for 64 episodes and 4 OVA's is not bad; I honestly don't get the indignation from some fans.

Maybe you bought the 5 sets it was 170$USD, but I bought the 2 part complete collection for 120$CAD. That new 200$ release would be like 250$ CAD. It's insane.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
I'm watching Brotherhood for the first time and have had it on hold at 26 for a month, I know Milos is non-canon "filler" but now I see someone saying it's meant to be a sequel (which doesn't seem possible given the poster), and someone else saying it's set around episode 20. If it's the latter then I'll get it over with before I continue, because I don't want a subpar original movie being the last part I see.
It's not a sequel, it's a side-story and has no relation to the events in FMA:B. Timeline-wise it would probably fall in around the first half of the series, but it's completely removed from the main story so there are no spoilers in it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It's Fullmetal Alchemist so of course Aniplex will re-release it in a year or two plus this is a movie, a really crappy movie (but then so was Shamballa) but a movie nonetheless and their releases of those have always been affordable (with some exceptions like the Garden of Sinners box sets)

Cries in Kizumonogatari. I I still haven't seen those movies yet as I really don't want to pirate them.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It's Fullmetal Alchemist so of course Aniplex will re-release it in a year or two plus this is a movie, a really crappy movie (but then so was Shamballa) but a movie nonetheless.
at least The Sacred Star of Milos had no baring on the show's main plot and was treated as it's own side story, Shamballa on the other hand........oh boy that was a terrible conclusion to the 2003 series.
#hiros7039

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
As MST3K phrased, keep circulating the tapes.
Better have a copy of a product that will go out of print even if it's one format that goes out of circulation, but still on another (e.g. online streaming, even that doesn't last forever).
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
@Cerceaux Great, thanks.

LegitPancake wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
It's Fullmetal Alchemist so of course Aniplex will re-release it in a year or two plus this is a movie, a really crappy movie (but then so was Shamballa) but a movie nonetheless and their releases of those have always been affordable (with some exceptions like the Garden of Sinners box sets)

Cries in Kizumonogatari. I I still haven't seen those movies yet as I really don't want to pirate them.

You're in Texas? Shamballa is on CR:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/fullmetal-alchemist-the-conqueror-of-shamballa

Netflix still offers a DVD-by-mail subscription with an option to pay a little extra for BD (in this case available for Shamballa but not Milos). If you're anti-piracy, then I'm sure you can find other non-legally-streamable anime movies on there to make it worth a month's subscription.

https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Fullmetal-Alchemist-The-Movie-Conqueror-of-Shamballa/70053630
https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Fullmetal-Alchemist-The-Movie-Conqueror-of-Shamballa/70053630

Unfortunately a lot of stuff seems to only be available on DVD; in 2015 I tried to watch Summer Wars by renting it... couldn't do it, the scenes with hundreds of characters in the digital world looked absolutely horrendous. (I watched it in HD via other means and loved it, I'll probably buy it after watching it a second time to confirm the decision.)

You might subscribe to find that all their Milos discs are currently out with customers due to this news. And I don't know how this licensing changeover affects disc rentals. If this is still the case, it shouldn't....

https://ask.metafilter.com/129936/Movie-Rental-Licensing
Quote:
There's a legal construct called the First Sale Doctrine (IANAL) that basically says "You bought an object, you can do whatever the heck you want with it." For physical things, that means you really can just buy it and rent it out without paying anybody anything extra. Most rental companies buy at a discount in bulk, but there's nothing stopping them from just picking up a lot of copies at retail and still renting them; I believe Netflix did, or said they would, during a distribution brouhaha. There's no licensing involved.

...which means your rental isn't really giving anything to the anime industry, unless you count encouragement to Netflix to buy more anime discs to rent out in future. But it's legal and it's not piracy.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'd only recommend this to hardcore completionist fans. Honestly, Conqueror of Shamballa was way better.

I totally agree and would add in that Shamballa wasn't some amazing movie either so when it's way better than this one...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I never understood with this movie is why they switched to a radically different art style from Brotherhood. Conqueror of Shamballa kept the same art style of the original show but the Sacred Star of Milos is very radically different and not as high quality as Brotherhood.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
You're in Texas? Shamballa is on CR:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/fullmetal-alchemist-the-conqueror-of-shamballa

Netflix still offers a DVD-by-mail subscription with an option to pay a little extra for BD (in this case available for Shamballa but not Milos). If you're anti-piracy, then I'm sure you can find other non-legally-streamable anime movies on there to make it worth a month's subscription.

Unfortunately a lot of stuff seems to only be available on DVD; in 2015 I tried to watch Summer Wars by renting it... couldn't do it, the scenes with hundreds of characters in the digital world looked absolutely horrendous. (I watched it in HD via other means and loved it, I'll probably buy it after watching it a second time to confirm the decision.)

You might subscribe to find that all their Milos discs are currently out with customers due to this news. And I don't know how this licensing changeover affects disc rentals. If this is still the case, it shouldn't....

I was talking about the Kizumonogatari movies, which are not streaming anywhere in the US, and the only way to watch them right now is to pay $210 for the blurays ($70 each). I'm not really interested in Shamballa as I've never seen FMA '03. I have seen Brotherhood, so I probably should see Milos at some point.
Summer Wars (dubbed only) is streaming on FunimationNow and Vrv in the US if you have a subscription.
milkyy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna say this... nobody's missing anything, at all. It's a terrible movie. And this is coming from someone whose favorite anime of ALL TIME is Brotherhood. I started reading FMA when I was 8. I LOVE this series. Milos is a steaming pile of poo, and seriously not even worth watching. Just watch the trailer, it's far more interesting than the feature-length feature. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2