• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dororo TV Anime's 1st Promo Video, Cast, Staff, Visual Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching Dororo on Anime Sols before it shut down and bought the DVD set when Discotek released it. So I'll be watching the new adaptation when it comes out. I hope Crunchyroll licenses it for streaming.

One old anime I'd like to see a re-adaptation is Ishinomori's "Sabu & Ichi."
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
[Are you implying that I've never watched anything from an earlier time period or that I've never spoken to anyone older than me about them, both are incorrect.

All I'm saying is that it is a odd to umbrella everything pre[insert date here] together. To take films as an example, both Casablanca and Star Wars are old, but only the former is a Classic Holywood film.

I did not imply anything about your viewing habits since I know absolutely nothing about you, but as a historian and librarian I did want to say that you were misinformed that a term which can be applied to absolutely every era of history applies only to two particular decades. I do apologize if I was overtly curt (I typed up my response quickly on my lunch break). It was meant to be read in a teacher tone of voice, but I can definitely see it be misconstrued and that was not my intention.

"Old school" can group absolutely anything before the modern era because there are different subsets, just exactly like classicalzawa said (excellent breakdown, btw!). In can be all-encompassing or specified accordingly since it only means using methods that were at some point standard in the past. To use your own example, both Star Wars and Casablanca are pivotal movies for the old schools of science fiction film and the old schools of film noir that have both been added to the Library of Congress' US National Film Registry for preservation as important contributors to film history in general. In effect, both are now considered classic films, though only one was filmed in the era known as Classic Hollywood.

My intent was only to clarify your definition of the terminology, so I definitely apologize if my comment came across as snide or condescending. I only meant that looking outside your usual interests or circle of information might broaden your view. Like I said, I'm a librarian and I can't resist the urge to help introduce people to new things or correct misconceptions. Evidently I shouldn't type quick responses on my lunch break, though. ^^;
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, this looks really promising.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga (remember when Vertical released Tezuka manga?) but the only adaptation I've seen was a live action movie in which Dororo was aged up to a teen (it was fun, but certainly not a definitive adaptation). I am thrilled that Dororo is a little kid here, and it looks incredible!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2