• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Eleven Arts Partner for Home Video Distribution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I see I'm not the only one whose first thought was of A Silent Voice; Laughing it's the one film I'd actually be willing to shell out 40-something dollars for right now (I spent a fair amount on theater tickets for myself & friends when it was playing), and I'm getting antsy to have a copy of it for myself.

BlueRex666 wrote:
I messaged them on Facebook a few weeks ago, it was along the line "Can't go into details, but were work hard eith the Japanese production company to the states."

Yeah it's not much, but at least they are trying.

This is good to know. I've been considering contacting them about the subject (I might still, just to show my interest), but I'm glad to hear something is potentially in the works.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Article says BD. Right Stuf is moving away from DVD releases.

Is producing Blu-Ray and DVD combo packs just too expensive?

DVDs are obsolete. There's no reason shows should be released on them anymore in this HD era.

The sales of DVDs are still significant.
Just because you're unaware of the larger world doesn't mean it's not an issue for fans and many companies. Collectors may have migrated to Blu ray but a lot of casual fans and people on budgets still buy DVDs.

No large company that cares about physical media sales is going to abandon DVD any time soon. Disney, Warner Bros, and even Fox aren't going to drop the format anytime soon. There are still more DVDs than BD's and 4K BD's stocked at Wal Mart and Target, by the way, and many times the only edition of an anime title they may carry at Wally World IS the DVD edition. I've only seen the DVD release of Sailor Moon at Wal Mart... Why do you suppose that is? It's because parents buying kids videos tend to buy the cheaper DVD release if it's an option. They KNOW their kids are going to forget those films and TV shows within 6 months after they've played a disc for the billionth time so why waste money on a Blu ray edition of a title that may cost up to $20 more than the DVD version?!?
For someone on a budget, the extra money they save getting the DVD is significant. Maybe you're a snob (and I've encountered more than a few of those in anime circles) and can't appreciate most people are on budgets and would rather eat with the $5-$20 they save on a title but that's the way of the world.

There are also compatibility issues that still exist with SD video played off Blu ray, or haven't you heard about the problems some of the SD-video/Blu ray releases from Discotek have had playing on the PlayStation 4?

There are next to no portable Blu players out there unless you care to get a compatible PC laptop and install a Blu ray drive in it. There are still many new PC's and laptops that don't come with Blu ray drives. That's generally something you have to install yourself and many people have problems with hardware/software installation. They NEVER made Blu ray standard equipment for the home PC market and there are very few decent Blu ray player software packages out there. The fact that it's a locked medium has actually discouraged the adoption of the Blu ray format across PC and Mac. It has nowhere near the spread of DVD across laptops and desktops.
It is also mandatory to use HDMI with pre-recorded, store-bought discs. Blu ray discs will NOT play through VGA on PC's. It's an anti-copy feature that a lot of people discovered when they tried to install Blu ray drives on their PC's back when the Blu ray format was brand-new. It meant in addition to getting a Blu ray drive, they also had to upgrade to a graphics card that had an HDMI slot!
They're only just now coming out with 4K Blu ray drives for PC and many, many of the existing PC's don't support 4K that well and 4K monitors are only just now starting to become more standard. 4K monitors are still about twice as expensive as standard HD monitors...
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
@georgeC
Heaven’s Feel Part 1 limited edition costs ¥7592 (68.47) on Amazon Japan. Regular edition costs ¥4681 ($42.22).
The American version costs $70 for limited edition and $40 for regular editon on Rightstuf, which is the only place to buy it.

Also, Your Name came out like 3-4 months in America after the Japanese version. I’m not sure what’s the problem with A Silent Voice, but I doubt it’s to discourage reverse importation.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
So after A Silent Voice (which I desperately want to see), my next question is digital distribution rights. Will either Eleven Arts or Right Stuf be able to make these films available via streaming?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I see I'm not the only one whose first thought was of A Silent Voice; Laughing it's the one film I'd actually be willing to shell out 40-something dollars for right now (I spent a fair amount on theater tickets for myself & friends when it was playing), and I'm getting antsy to have a copy of it for myself.

BlueRex666 wrote:
I messaged them on Facebook a few weeks ago, it was along the line "Can't go into details, but were work hard with the Japanese production company to bring the movie to the states."

Yeah it's not much, but at least they are trying.

This is good to know. I've been considering contacting them about the subject (I might still, just to show my interest), but I'm glad to hear something is potentially in the works.

Took the time to fix my mistakes in my original post.

But you should definitely consider contacting them. I found the exactly what the wrote on my Facebook Messenger,
"Hello BlueRex666 (not using my actual name at the moment),
We are currently working with the Japanese licensor to make this a reality, but unfortunately that's all we can really share for now. We do really appreciate your message though, and I'll pass it along so that they're aware fans like you really want the home video release!"

So I say let them hear the fan demand!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Isn't it kind of weird for a theater chain to be licensing anime movies?
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Eleven Arts is a theatrical distribution company. They get movies in theatres, but don't actually own the theatres. Wink

I'm guessing they've had a tough go being a middle man as a lot of companies use Fathom for anime, or do it themselves (Funimation). That's why they've started picking up films whole. We've kind of seen a similar story with Azoland, who've primarily shifted to releasing concert events.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Eleven Arts is a theatrical distribution company. They get movies in theatres, but don't actually own the theatres. Wink

I'm guessing they've had a tough go being a middle man as a lot of companies use Fathom for anime, or do it themselves (Funimation). That's why they've started picking up films whole. We've kind of seen a similar story with Azoland, who've primarily shifted to releasing concert events.

Who cares?! As long as there is some anime movies getting representation in US theaters, I'm happy!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I would say VERY rough time of it...

I saw the most recent Lyrical Magical Girl Nanoha film in theaters in February(?) when it was shown.
There were maybe a dozen or less people in that theater.
They screened it for one day and I was LUCKY to see the notice about that film on ANN!

There was next to no advance word about that film and it was screened in exactly one theater in the area which IS a major US market. We get at least 90-some percent of the anime films being screened through the US.
Then again, just because a film is distributed by GKids doesn't mean it WILL get wide distribution, either. They screened "Night is Short, Walk On Girl" (which I DIDN'T like -- first anime feature I haven't liked in a while) at a film festival and that was the only time and place I could see that film. Luckily, it was still local BUT that's the only time and place they're showing that film. It's supposed to be national on the 20 and 21 of the month but there are no other local dates listed to show that film!

There are films that will get wide distribution, almost guaranteed... They'll finish the Fate trilogy because the first film (from all indications) was a HUGE success for the exhibitors. The theater I saw it in was probably 2/3 or more full which is damn good for any film, tremendously successful for anime because I've been in screenings with an average 6-12 and one time I was the only person in a theater watching a film (Mazinger Z: Infinity). Fate Pt 1 sold out some of the theaters on the first playdates November last year and they brought it back the next month. That almost never happens.

Then there are going to be films that slip through the cracks for whatever reasons.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
professorwho wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Article says BD. Right Stuf is moving away from DVD releases.

Is producing Blu-Ray and DVD combo packs just too expensive?

DVDs are obsolete. There's no reason shows should be released on them anymore in this HD era.

The sales of DVDs are still significant.
Just because you're unaware of the larger world doesn't mean it's not an issue for fans and many companies. Collectors may have migrated to Blu ray but a lot of casual fans and people on budgets still buy DVDs.

No large company that cares about physical media sales is going to abandon DVD any time soon. Disney, Warner Bros, and even Fox aren't going to drop the format anytime soon. There are still more DVDs than BD's and 4K BD's stocked at Wal Mart and Target, by the way, and many times the only edition of an anime title they may carry at Wally World IS the DVD edition. I've only seen the DVD release of Sailor Moon at Wal Mart... Why do you suppose that is? It's because parents buying kids videos tend to buy the cheaper DVD release if it's an option. They KNOW their kids are going to forget those films and TV shows within 6 months after they've played a disc for the billionth time so why waste money on a Blu ray edition of a title that may cost up to $20 more than the DVD version?!?
For someone on a budget, the extra money they save getting the DVD is significant. Maybe you're a snob (and I've encountered more than a few of those in anime circles) and can't appreciate most people are on budgets and would rather eat with the $5-$20 they save on a title but that's the way of the world.

There are also compatibility issues that still exist with SD video played off Blu ray, or haven't you heard about the problems some of the SD-video/Blu ray releases from Discotek have had playing on the PlayStation 4?

There are next to no portable Blu players out there unless you care to get a compatible PC laptop and install a Blu ray drive in it. There are still many new PC's and laptops that don't come with Blu ray drives. That's generally something you have to install yourself and many people have problems with hardware/software installation. They NEVER made Blu ray standard equipment for the home PC market and there are very few decent Blu ray player software packages out there. The fact that it's a locked medium has actually discouraged the adoption of the Blu ray format across PC and Mac. It has nowhere near the spread of DVD across laptops and desktops.
It is also mandatory to use HDMI with pre-recorded, store-bought discs. Blu ray discs will NOT play through VGA on PC's. It's an anti-copy feature that a lot of people discovered when they tried to install Blu ray drives on their PC's back when the Blu ray format was brand-new. It meant in addition to getting a Blu ray drive, they also had to upgrade to a graphics card that had an HDMI slot!
They're only just now coming out with 4K Blu ray drives for PC and many, many of the existing PC's don't support 4K that well and 4K monitors are only just now starting to become more standard. 4K monitors are still about twice as expensive as standard HD monitors...

For the anime market, I'd say bluray has overtaken dvd. This is a fact in Japan, even cited here in ANN. I would say among buyers in the US it is either already true or becoming true. There is a reason why Rightstuf is doing this, and likely the reason why Sentai sticks to seperate DVD and BD skus so that they can print less of the DVDs and save some money. For the general market, it could be that distributors and still offering DVDs as a way to capture shrinking market. e.g. even if people buy 70% bluray and 30% dvd, it's still worth pursuing DVDs for the mass market in the millions. But anime is no where near as large as the general market.

As for playing, first it's true that portable bluray players are not cheap. But then again, the market for portable disc players for anything is shrinking. You don't see portable CD players and CD players in cars (including CD/DVD players in cars that supported MP3, digital files) have virtually disappeared.

For home, it's very easy to play blurays. Blurays players are dirt cheap. All the console can play blurays. And for PCs and laptops it's easy to play 1080p blurays. You CAN play via straight VGA to VGA, just like how some standalone players support analog component out. Where the confusion comes in is playing over digital interface like DVI that or DVI to VGA that uses a digital interface (although technically DVI-A is analog) but without HDCP. The player and standard requires anything played through a digital interface be protected with HDCP. Currently I use DVI with HDCP and that works fine and I've also tried pure vga in the past too.

Internal bluray drives/burners for PCs are very cheap and likewise external bluray drives for laptop, which are only slightly more. You just need the right software. All the retail boxed drives come with software players otherwise for the dirt cheap barebones OEM drives you can buy PowerDVD or try the free players DAPlayer and Daewo.

Otherwise you can always rip the bluray and just play it with any player like VLC, and then take it with you on your phone. A lot more convenient than lugging portable disc players and a bunch of discs around. That's what the market expects now, hence their disappearance of in-car players and portable players.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2