• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ashly Burch Leaves Role of Mayuri in Steins;Gate 0 Simuldub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
She's been spending too much time playing Dungeons & Dragons I would guess. Wink

Heh, to be fair, the members of Critical Role always seem to be having the time of their lives everytime they play a game. Kinda makes me wanna get into it. Razz
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
"scheduling impossibilities."

Hire a better agent then. One of most popular franchises gets screwed up this bad because of such a thing? wow.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Translation, Ashley Burch got a better job, possibly Horizon Zero Dawn 2, possibly Boarderlands 3, possibly both. This gig pays more money, and requires more time, than recording for Funimation.

She regrets not being able continue the Steins Gate gig, but going with the better paying gig is always the wisest option.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:55 pm Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
Translation, Ashley Burch got a better job, possibly Horizon Zero Dawn 2, possibly Boarderlands 3, possibly both. This gig pays more money, and requires more time, than recording for Funimation.

She regrets not being able continue the Steins Gate gig, but going with the better paying gig is always the wisest option.

not another one!... now who's gonna voice rise kujikawa in Persona Q2!!!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Eh well, Mayuri's annoying in BOTH languages....so this doesn't matter all that much to me.

Just as long as Michael doesn't stop voicing Okabe.

We would have a problem then. Cool
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I never got the point of simuldubs for reasons such as this. That audience has proven to be stable; they'll wait for a dub, and if no dub arrives, they'll let that show sit in their backlog for a decade or two. It's people who don't watch dubs that want anime at breakneck speeds.

In today’s anime climate? This couldn’t be further from the truth. Like you describe, we live in a world where anime are subtitled and released in the US hours after the original broadcast, and even then people complain about it taking too long. People watch a bunch of anime over a three month period, then put it to the side in order to start a new bunch, essentially forgetting all about the anime from the previous three months. This may seem like only a sub problem, but it’s actually infected the entire anime community, which is why simuldubs are necessary to maintain that balance. People who would have watched the show subbed during one of their batches, and then revisiting them years down the road, is considered a chore. The audience will be too focused on the new batch to want to go back to the show that only just got dubbed. That’s why only really REALLY popular shows get dubs a year or so after the show has ended (mainly in non-Funimation companies, but also applies to One Piece): it’s already been a slim guarantee that a dub is successful, and having an older show doesn’t help matters. It’s also why vintage anime are almost never dubbed.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally I prefer the days where we get to see the Dub version first on DVD/Blu-ray/VHS or on TV. Just not into streaming and especially Simul-Dubs.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
She's been spending too much time playing Dungeons & Dragons I would guess. Wink

Emerje

I was wondering if it was the same Ashly Burch! Anime hyper Technically her time with Critical Role just ended...unless it gets revealed next episode that she's going to become part of the cast (there's been some speculation about this among Critters as of late).
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
I've been saying for a while that funimation needs to hire someone more voice actors. I hear every voice actor in every other anime I watch dub. It gets really annoying. Like Iran sinclair's voice really stand out to me and he's in like every dubbed anime now. There not bad voices it's just the same voice wherever you go.

Funimation actually has a larger pool than most dubbing houses. Maybe other known dub VAs are contract bound to their dubbing houses and can't join a Funimation dub. I think the real issue is having some of the new talent take more lead, 2nd lead roles instead of background characters but then again just like in every industry newbies really have to shine to take the apples from the leads. Nobody is going to give you anything for free.

professorwho wrote:
I don't like dubs, but this shows one of the big issues with FUNimation as a company- dub everything as fast as possible and don't take the time to figure things out. It's quantity>quality now...

Why not fully dub a series until it's over? That way you have the whole series out, scripts can be written as it airs in Japan, and then the recording sessions will be fewer and will save more money... oh wait, money. That's why they do simuldubbing. Not quality- money.

What are you talking about? Japanese dubbing houses have this issue. Have you even seen how a dub/sub gets made. It isn't just let's mix the audio/video and boom. Give Funimation/JP/US dubbing houses credit for their amazing work (quality releases on a weekly basis). Plus, just last year the VA for Erina Nakiri (Food Wars!) had to be changed because her original VA was out on medical leave. Other animes were hit with similar issues. Life happens.

{Edit}: I edited your post. Watch the personal insults. ~ Psycho 101
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
Please be to do more OK KO, please be to do more OK KO...

Though for real, yeah, that definitely sucks but guess will see how the replacement does. I guess I should probably get back to watching 0 at some point but I've really just stopped caring about it for the moment.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

I was wondering if it was the same Ashly Burch! Anime hyper Technically her time with Critical Role just ended...unless it gets revealed next episode that she's going to become part of the cast (there's been some speculation about this among Critters as of late).

Hard to say. GenCon was supposed to be her last episode, but they didn't get to give her a proper send off since the game was going long. Maybe she'll stick around for a few more episodes, but I don't know if she'll be a permanent fixture. Then again, there's room at the table for eight...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
levonr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:06 am Reply with quote
She does a lot of other work besides voice acting and when actors move it does become more challenging. So its really not surprising.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
There are a few situations another VA had to take over. In tales of zestiria S2 Bryce Papenbrook had to take over for Robbie Daymond due illness. And Snow White with the red hair S2 had a schedule problem too for a episode or 2. Correct me if im wrong, but i belleve both were fixed for home release.

Can't speak for these two but there was a similar problem with The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan where Bridget Hoffman (Ryoko Asakura) no-showed for episode 8 and someone else filled in and not only did they not fix this for the video release but they didn't credit the new VA for that episode either.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I never got the point of simuldubs for reasons such as this. That audience has proven to be stable; they'll wait for a dub, and if no dub arrives, they'll let that show sit in their backlog for a decade or two. It's people who don't watch dubs that want anime at breakneck speeds.

For many but not all. At least VRV and Funi have the option for fans to watch it through binging or weekly. Many versions of Netflix really like for the binge method. That's why I trust CR, HIDIVE, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Funi for anime streams over Netflix for newer titles.

It is quite understandable if she couldn't finish her gig as Mayuri for the simuldub. That is, using SourceConnect-type software to record for a character for 20-something weekly epi. vs. binge-recording is really stressful. I don't know how Cherami manages the stress to do it for her character. Also, as much as I like Ashly's version of Mayuri, having personal issues does take priority over the recording.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:

My fear for all VAs. Would love to see those like Troy Baker come back to do a few anime, but alas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3