• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise, Legendary Announce Live-Action Gundam Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
It's strange, though. I should be really excited and pumped for this, as you can make a strong movie out of Gundam either as an adaptation or brand-new story, but I feel more nonplussed about it. Sort of like "OK, let's see what you do, and then we'll talk", but not in a wholly-jaded way, either…

Pretty much my feeling on the matter, since it could definitely work and just as well not work.

I suppose I might as well drop my biggest concerns while I'm at it:
-Like others, the worst thing would be is if we got some jingoistic action plot with some catchphrase spouting manly nitwit.
-Some people really dislike the psychic teenager stuff, but in all honestly Amuro is a big part of why the original Gundam works so well, and there's a quality there lending to why so many other anime have a certain appeal: a teenager who is as unsure and afraid and stupid and earnest as an actual teenager. This seems to be the first thing some folks want to drop from Gundam, which I think is a mistake.
-Some people seem to think of Char as the "real" main character of Gundam/Z Gundam/Char's Counterattack, something I very strongly disagree with (he's simply IN all three of them, and of course this skips ZZ...) - so I suppose my concern is if they try to make either Char himself or someone like Char the main character. I think that would be sacificing the aforementioned qualities of Amuro and characters like him to appease adults, frankly.

Anyway, all one can do now is hope for the best, I suppose, either way. As long as it's good. As long as it's good...
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering the massive financial success the Transformer movies had the last decade, I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to finally decide to make a live-action Gundam movie.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited for this personally. The worst that could happen is that we get a bad movie but it's not like there haven't been bad animated works in the Gundam franchise before.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Guillermo Del Toro on director duty, please.

Eh, personally not a fan of his works. Hellboy movies wasn't what I was hoping for and the Pacific Rim movie was decent but had some god awful lines, forgettable characters and mediocre story, Del Toro is iffy as a writer.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
What, no link to the teaser video? Fail.

Still, should be interesting, considering I've heard G-Saviour was terrible. I never did watch the Pcific Rim movies because to me they are Evangelion/Gundam rip-offs.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sure, why not but let´s make one movie first and get it right before trying to advertise another major film universe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Considering the massive financial success the Transformer movies had the last decade, I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to finally decide to make a live-action Gundam movie.

The only financially-succeasful amine-to-live action film franchise so far, I will add.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm...actually okay with this. It could work if they did this as an original story. Don't make it about Wing, 78, X, IBO, just make an original story that emphasizes the same kind of themes that Gundam always has. That could work, especially if you put it out over a trilogy.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Until we have further details such as who is directing and writing the script and whatnot, I will reserve judgment on this actually working or being G-Savoir/Dragon Ball Evolution redux.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I'm...actually okay with this. It could work if they did this as an original story. Don't about Wing, 78, X, IBO, just make an original story that emphasizes the same kind of themes that Gundam always has. That could work, especially if you put it out over a trilogy.

Seconding this.
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Guillermo Del Toro on director duty, please.

He's good for monster and horror type stuff but he hasn't done anything remotely close to what is needed for Gundam.

What Gundam needs for a director is someone like Spielberg for his Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers work or Doug Liman with his work on Edge of Tomorrow.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
What, no link to the teaser video? Fail.

Still, should be interesting, considering I've heard G-Saviour was terrible. I never did watch the Pcific Rim movies because to me they are Evangelion/Gundam rip-offs.

Okay a correction here. Pacific Rim is a homage to kaiju-mecha films in general & even then it never really felt particularly Evangelion/Gundam-ish in the first place.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, Legendary Films has released top notch CGI in movies in the last decade that will do Gundam justice.

Like others, I am concerned how the adaptation will be handled. Especially how they protray Char Aznable and Ray Amuro. And how much of the story will be condensed to fit film time.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

The only financially-succeasful amine-to-live action film franchise so far, I will add.

I am almost positive Transformers isn't based off of an Anime. Rurouni Kenshin was also quite successful, because the story can be easily adapted into live-action material.

Please don't let this be another G-Saviour
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Rim was awesome. Please don't screw this up!!

I hope they retain the spirit of any typical Gundam story and don't try to dumb it down too much. I wouldn't mind a completely original story, but it needs to feel like Gundam.

Trying to adapt 0079 I feel would be a mistake. I'm not sure such it can work without chopping it up and rearranging it significantly. There's just too much to fit into a single movie. And they need to make something that can stand alone without having to guarantee sequels.

(The original 0079 movies work well. But they flow as a continuous story like a normal show rather than a typical movie)

My biggest overall concern is the Mechanical designs. Transformers is an example of how NOT to adapt typical anime mecha designs to live action. They look good, but they lose all of the character and charm of the originals. It's too busy.

Pacific Rim was a decent middle ground in that regard, considering how much bigger they are than a Gundam.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
well i wonder how yoshiyuki tomino feels about all this i wouldn't be surprised if he hates it & decided to shut all of this down at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3