• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kim Kardashian Colors Hair Pink Due to Anime 'Obsession'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Surprised she's anime fan... she must be more of a nerd than her image surgests! Razz
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Kanye gave her some gateways so to speak as he's a HUGE anime nerd.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Paradox wrote:
Everyone needs to relax. LOL It's ok if a celeb is into anime, I don't understand why you guys still think anime is blocked off from everyone else then "us". If she's into anime, cool. But stop with the dramatics it only makes us look bad. Laughing

Wow, "Anime characters have pink and blue hair", I literally haven't heard that one from first-time newbies since the 90's!
We're talking the days of Apollo Smile. Shocked
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Exactly my problem with this article, why are they assuming she dyed her hair because of Sakura or Madoka? Why mention them specifically and not another pink haired character? Journalists aren't supposed to make assumptions. There are no facts to back that statement up.

We just picked some famous anime girls with pink hair, we weren't insinuating at all that those were the specific characters she was imitating, and our language in the article reflects that.

Quote:
Seriously. ANN just can't resist bringing politics or reality shows into their articles. No one cares, we just want anime related news from Japan.

We do write anime-related news from Japan, in our News feed. This is an Interest article, where our staff (a different staff from our News team) write about things we think might be "interesting" to our readers. We're not writing about this instead of anime-related news, but in addition to the normal content we already provide. We've had the News/Interest separation with separate writers for years.

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
People, it's just a slow news day. They happen.

Please see the above explanation, we'd write this article whether it was a "slow news day" or not (Fridays are also often our busiest news days actually).
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Gotta be honest I didn't care at all about/had mild distaste for the Kardashians; but now that I've seen all the performative anguish in this thread, I will defend my pink-haired weeaboo queen to the death.
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how salty and overly protective folks are about their anime. Everyone can enjoy it in their own way. How is this triggering some of you this much. She's spreading your animuuu to a huuge audience on social media. She's not even that bad. Very harmless. U just jelly or some shait. I do not get some of these responses like you have any ownership over this content.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not alone with my thoughts regarding this article.

While I like to give KKW the benefit of the doubt that she really does watch anime and loves it. But given all her years in the limelight and never hinting to such tastes, makes me believe she's full of it and using anime as a means for another attention seeking moment.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
If this is enough to make people stop being anime fan then I wounder if they were even true fans to begin with and not just posers hipsters pretending to like it because it wasn't mainstream.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know if Kim have ever mentioned anything about anime before (since if she had, it probably would make into an article too), so her claim that she's obsessed with anime is probably bogus. I think it's just her way to make a headline.

(Though if she really does like anime, good for her if she's enjoying it. I'd like to hear if she has a favorite series or a favorite character, or perhaps, the ones that inspired her.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
On celebrities liking anime: If it was a member of the Trump Admin that was headlined in this article, we would have gotten maybe over 5 pages of comments by now.
fuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
she wants u to buy to read her articles...

honestly she is just using it because of micheal b jordan got so much love from the fandoms when his tweets for 2011 were shown. nothing but a thirst trap opportunity for her
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
The fact that people are triggered over others being triggered about Kim K. liking anime is hilarious. No one on this site is actually going to stop watching anime because of this, with how invested in anime most of the people here are, they're just expressing their shock in a (selectively) comedic way. Whether or not you find it funny to mock celebrities like her is another matter.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:41 am Reply with quote
That fan must have been high or he/she is just incredibly stupid because kim kardashian doesn’t look anything like an anime character unless of course that said “anime character” is a hobbit. Laughing
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
"inspo" is a thing?! Godammit, you young'uns, I can't keep up with you and your words anymore.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this news warrants the attention it is apparently getting, but either way, negative or positive, anime is an emotional experience for many of us. We have spent a powerful part of our lives, money, and time in this hobby, but without calling it gatekeeping, it really is. The caveat I take away from it is the same with any other high-profile (despite dubious origins) celebrity and their related claims: Throwing references at a wall will only stick for so long. If she keeps her pink hair more than a few weeks, retweets Funimation and engages other fans, posts her watchlist, or if six months from now still makes the same claims, I will be inclined to believe her, despite any personal feelings.

What I am trying to say is that in this moment, we are giving her exactly what she wants, what I personally have felt about her all along, is that this is an grab for attention, piggybacking on a popular fandom, and making more desperate claims to stay relevant without generating any sort of contribution or effort into what we ourselves love more than just a hobby.

Time makes us all mortal. We'll still be here in the end, and she may or may not be with us. We definitely don't need to validate ourselves by her standards, whatever those may be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4