• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ashita no Joe Manga Creator, JCA Ask Fans to Avoid Pirate Sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
if I like a series I usually buy on kindle and then proceed to just read them online where I don't have to wait for the apps to load, and besides, they don't have chinese subs which I prefer over english. so is someone paying the "pirate" sites for the business they are able to prompt me to give to the legit sales? whatever, the whole concept of money is flawed in the first place, at least the way the current system implements it. don't even think about lecturing me, save your breath. the alternative would be going in blind and just buying whatever title has the best cover and hoping for the best. tried that a few times with doujin H games, no luck.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I can understand creators wanting to get paid for their work the one thing leaves me a little confused it what about Web Manga? I also think it's just as simple as accepting that you will not get everything you want as a non-Japanese literate reader generally speaking. I also find it a little sad that The Japan Cartoonists Association has to beg people to not pirate content.

Although websites that pirate Manga are one thing there are also people who just translate raws sometimes live on Imageboards and that is almost impossible to stop given the anonymous nature of some Imageboards.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What one of the authors said is something that is really a problem in Japan: innovation! Pirate sites will always exist, and appeals like his will not work, even though a good part of the public joins the campaign. The same is true for anime in the West. I particularly think that the selling model of physical products to make up for the TV productions is outdated, and something that is not only dying, as I pray for it to die! Much is spoken of the global appeal of Anime, but whenever you talk about business I see Japanese producers with this excuse that expanding is difficult, because in the West piracy erodes their profits. This is called "unwillingness to innovate". Just as large companies joined a number of [digital] advertising platforms, so did the sale of various products, even moving away from the industry they previously traded.

Even today some anime studios do not have Twitter or Facebook account. Until 2006, more or less, few studios wanted to have a wider contact with the public. Wit makes good use of the platform to indicate he is recruiting. But many studios are reluctant to this day. The biggest problem in Japan is that many of these entrepreneurs want to turn the market into a niche in which they will have 100% of profits but without innovating. No wonder the animators are getting a starving wage, and the studios can not cheer or sticks decently.

A recent interview by the Kadokawa producer was revealing in the sense that he acknowledges that the sale of physical media is no longer so profitable. Proof that if they want to keep the industry they need to innovate.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Ronie Peter wrote:
What one of the authors said is something that is really a problem in Japan: innovation! Pirate sites will always exist, and appeals like his will not work, even though a good part of the public joins the campaign. The same is true for anime in the West. I particularly think that the selling model of physical products to make up for the TV productions is outdated, and something that is not only dying, as I pray for it to die! Much is spoken of the global appeal of Anime, but whenever you talk about business I see Japanese producers with this excuse that expanding is difficult, because in the West piracy erodes their profits. The biggest problem in Japan is that many of these entrepreneurs want to turn the market into a niche in which they will have 100% of profits but without innovating. No wonder the animators are getting a starving wage, and the studios can not cheer or sticks decently.

A recent interview by the Kadokawa producer was revealing in the sense that he acknowledges that the sale of physical media is no longer so profitable. Proof that if they want to keep the industry they need to innovate.

Thank you for this bit of insight.

Honestly, as much as I spew on and on about the West needing anime artists and to inspire any budding one into fruition, Japan shouldn't ever be afraid of needing to cater to the West or whomever. They should be taking care of themselves first and foremost. There is the need for them to acknowledge the cultural influences that anime and manga have had on nations outside of the Japanese archipelago, but that's only for overseas licensing and getting Cool Japan to actually work as a campaign. Innovating doesn't mean that "black ships" will magically come over to Tokyo Bay and start firing on everyone if they don't get their way. These days the UN would have a fit over that.

The other crown jewels you've stated are that " the selling model of physical products to make up for the TV productions is outdated, and something that is not only dying, as I pray for it to die!"

This is actually a surprising issue because Japan has been ecologically active and environmentally aware as a country not too long ago. Along with little space to live, there's much less need for space to create landfills and trash dumps. I do acknowledge the fact that in turn that Japan has a major problem with waste output, and I do want my plastic models and tankobans, but seriously, transitioning to digital formats and making manga and anime something rather more cherished than easily disposable would be a nice thing to do.

"The biggest problem in Japan is that many of these entrepreneurs want to turn the market into a niche in which they will have 100% of profits but without innovating."

I'm done with that era. If there's eyes and ears wanting to help steer into a future that satiates both needs of mainstream acceptance with creative and spiritual integrity keep still firmly and supple at the heart, they'll help get there. And there's one of them right here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Rights-holders and series creators ask not to pirate sites. However, they may be unwilling to let a manga series get an official translation or grant permission to those asking to to do a fan translation. If we are to be true fans and not pirate, that might be more practical if the copyright didn't last for upwards of a century.
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Almost all other genres have beaten the piracy problem. There will always be people that pirate, but that is usually people who never would have bought the product to begin with for various reasons. However, if those same people can work as an advertisement group, then it probably leads to more sales being harvested.

Anyways, this discussion is pretty old, and the solution has always been to release an online store with a waste selection, that also sell the stuff out at various price points. Some people are willing to pay big bucks for early access or pre-order exclusive content, while others pick it up when it's at sale. One of the biggest difficulties, especially with the anime industry, is that it's insanely expensive to get into as they never release the products for sales, even if they've grown really old. Sales are usually effective at getting late adopters into the mix, and to either force someone between piracy or 100 bucks purchases might even turn them away from the industry as a whole.

Anyways, this is an old debate. Look for platforms like Steam, Netflix or Kindle for solutions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2