• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gal*Gun 2 Game Refused Age Classification in Germany

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:
The USK has simply started being harsher on sexualized depictions of minors or implied minors in games, most likely the reason for the decision, at least that was the case for the latest such decisions regarding naughty japanese games.

It should be noted though, that not receiving a rating is not a ban nor is it illegal to own, buy or sell, it only is automatically treated as a 18+ game. The USK is technically a private organization ( GmbH), although it cooperates with and over time was integrated into state and law. It is true that most shops do not sell those games, as they can be held liable for selling games that get bans later on if they did not receive a rating prior, but they could and some do, even if not receiving a rating might come pretty close in consequences to a ban for a lot of developers.
A game that did not receive a rating can still be banned or indexed via court procedure later on though. The likelihood of that happening to this game is fairly low, because people simply will not care, assuming court would even judge it banworthy.

Thaumana wrote:
Updated laws regarding virtual sexual depiction of minor-looking characters seem to lead to the recent decision and the organisation would face consequences if they would approve a rating.

Same laws led to the cancellation of the third episode of My Girlfriend is Shobitch from official german stream hosts months ago which contents dirty, ambiguous jokes in the presence of minor characters, initiated due to the decision by the FSK that classified this episode's content as liable to corrupt the young. In this case it is not quite correct to say that it was the free decision of the host even if they stated it themselves, but since they would risk consequences concerning the criminal law, the had no choice to do so. Same goes for the USK.

So it seems like the decision for the USK to not give the game a rating was due to a change, but in terms of how they go about choosing games to rate, as appose to a change in management. This does make this situation more understandable given context.

Also, I was aware the game itself is not officially banned in Germany, and it would had been a good idea if the website who share this information, Rice Digital. would had chosen a different title for their article (even though they did clarify in the beginning of the article the game was not officially banned).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Good riddance. Now we just need PEGI to refuse to rate it, and ESRB to give it an AO and it won't be sold any where in the west!

You sound like a fun guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2