• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Future Card Buddyfight Co-Creator: Japanese Card Game Sales Drop Over 40% in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
Even if VRAINS doew get dubbed, where would it go? Certainly not Nicktoons, that's for sure. They could choose KidsClick (despite its technical difficulties), but I'm not holding my breath.

There's also Disney X.D., but I'm not sure how that would pan out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
I wonder why "Duel Masters" the anime and card game didn't really catch on in the USA.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
While Link monsters were definately controversal in how they completely changed the format of the game (for the better, if you ask me)

Sayuri Lapis wrote:
Why so much hate for the link summoning and VRAINS series in general? I think Links is making the game more interesting and the anime itself is better written in my opinion than the last spinoff, ARC-V.

Depends on what you two found negative/boring in the previous format. If it was pumping out a bunch of monsters and creating a board your opponent most likely couldn't beat (also backed up with strong Spells/Traps) or getting your plays stopped in your tracks and getting killed next turn that you disliked, well, Link Summoning hasn't stopped that in the least. It's just made it even harder for lesser decks to make their power plays while stronger decks simply don't care.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I wonder why "Duel Masters" the anime and card game didn't really catch on in the USA.

For the anime, the dub was awful. Like, really awful. Yu-Gi-Oh's was also awful, but it was still semi-coherant so you could follow it. Duel Master's dub was a literal joke with random footage spliced in and made fun of itself like a parody. Terrible market strategy.

The card game probably because YGO was already dominating the market. America isnt as big into card games as Japan. Magic, YGO, maybe Pokemon. That's it. Not much room for anyone else. Even with a huge drop, 47 million in a single month is still way better than what card games do here.

Overall dropoff is probably because of broadening interests. People moving from card games to mobage stuff like Fate/Grand Order or Fire Emblem Heroes for their gaming fixes.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Step your game up and don't rely on YGO. When YGO is down, you should have an increase.

Quote:
Future Card Buddyfight at #5 with 2.1 billion yen (about US$)

The amount in US was left out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2