• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime-Gataris (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Congrats, DP, it looks like your theory that the characters are actually inside an anime, which I believe you floated a while back, is true. This episode was the most meta yet, including having the cast rewind the to the OP so they can check the credits. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
There is being meta, and then there is what Anime-Gataras (not a typo) just pulled. That is finding itself totally jumping the shark late in the season and actually saying you are doing you are. You have to point it goes past something like a reverse to Meteora talking about the production side like a staff mouthpiece, or Nui bending around the fourth wall, we are instead having the fourth wall close in around our protagonist as she is at risk of without trying running into on screen text and fall off the end of the screen.

Rather than anything anime has done before, which I at most can think of Hayate the Combat Butler, which I think included bits like characters noticing weird shifts, I think I even might have mentioned it had a gag of a "normal high school" which had a bunch of reference weird things, something the latest seasons lacked. I might actually look towards some indie video games, some of which have pulled things like the fact it is a game actually part of the mechanics of the story. Notably there has been this one recent game called Doki Doki Literature Club, which started with all appearances of being a normal cute dating sim set within a school club, but had things supposedly in the game start to alter the game, and it starts to break down, and starts to turn into a horror. The show might still kind of go the route of explaining things away within the universe of the anime, it has got dang close to pretty much acting like characters themselves are messing the makeup of the show. They rewound the episode to check the OP, the first time to check the head of the project was involved, and the second pointing that the title actually changed from "Anime Gataris" to "Anime Gataras". The subs I think explaining it as something like anime talk to anime non-talk.

Trying to look too hard at it making think that the show is kind of aware that people will think that the messages it had earlier on the show, which were light conversation of what anime is about, what it can mean to different people and enjoyed, could be seen as this losing that in its mess of a structure. Like it is throwing out all of its rules that it built itself on, yet the director is trying assure the audience that the very fact that it is a mess right now, is the message, that it was fully taken into account when it set up all the normalizing aspects. But not entirely sure if there is some odd ironic twist if it saying something against the restrictions in just following tropes or conventions that came before, ironic in that is what it is kind of doing now, or it is not doing because clearly it is drastic. But I do think that there has been foreshadowing.

I do think it was a pretty cool choice to play Minoa noticing the anime bits around her as being kind of like horror, that there is things twists about things like people starting to change, and the fact apparently the entire school could turn against her for having a problem with what is happening.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I do think that some of it could be a bit confusing, like thinking what the point is to it all, that this is an anime anyway, so what is the harm that it becomes an anime. To which I think the theme was supposed to being about maybe in terms of the creators, that they be able to make the anime that they want to make. That they might have had a vision of something that might specifically like, and there be interference to do things to specifically cater to audience by the ways of altering characters into specific popular versions. Maybe especially evident if you stopped to read the supposed revised character profiles in the middle of the episode, where it had things like Minoa (Mikine) having an otaku sister, Arisu being a tsundere, and Miko having big boobs, totally unnecessary parts to their character that would just play well to certain audiences, not to mention Minoa's revised personality. I don't know if this right, but I kind of felt that passion of doing the show its wants without worrying about that stuff with this studio's previous work of Time Travel Girl.

Also some small references in the episode. One of note being Minoa's mother saying she is interested in Miyako from A Sister is All You Need, which of course they share seiyuu. And there was so much that I feel like I was not catching in the episode, that I would like to get a breakdown eventually. Like the part the characters were talking about a studio getting the best out of their seiyuu and things about designs like hair gradients. And this is actually kind of one of the odd things, the series was clearly having fun and like with its references, but I think it was just as much saying that it did not want to be beholden to its references, that it did not make up for it also wanting to do its own thing. Minoa was excited to talk about the anime she liked, but not be forced to have to follow it.

One question though. Who in the hell is the girl with cat ears? She seemed among the list of the characters in the revised character list, and for some reason was among the group at the end when they supposedly got back to normal, even included in the Christmas picture at the end, yet no name or voice. Funny that Aurora still got strapped with his name. Anyway, I enjoyed it, I give a rating of Excellent (9/10), not because parts of its production were amazing, or the story some epic tale, or some other psychological thing. I feel that this was great because it stayed to some image it had, something of a passion to this medium of anime, but did not actually pigeonhole itself to just parody anime or something, doing so was kind of where this show was saying it would go wrong, and that there can be good parts in just the little things in some series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2