• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Platinum Games' Scalebound Xbox One Game Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
RaffoBaffo wrote:
I'll honestly don't understand the language that were written in that image.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
-Meanwhile, in Kyoto-

PG: Ya mind giving us a hand here?

Nintendo: By all means
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
RaffoBaffo wrote:
I'll honestly don't understand the language that were written in that image.

You don't need to, you just need to note the release date at the top of December 31, 2799. Laughing

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Meanwhile, in Kyoto-

Heh, does that refer to SEGA dropping Bayonetta?
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
-Meanwhile, in Kyoto-

Lol, I'm awaiting for this. They've had a good work relationship with Nintendo so far, on original and sequel titles.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
@Emerje : Oh sorry, I've totally miss that!
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Official statement from Platinum:
Quote:
“We’re sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!

President and CEO
Kenichi Sato”

Hideki Kamiya Denies Rumors on Health Issues
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
I know that "The Last Guardian" was recently released but I was commenting that a canceled game won't be suffering the same amount of delays
JoeQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Not to sound too much like a MS fanboy, but the game was having serious problems. They wouldn't just fund it for four years and then pull the plug just to be a-holes. They even promoted it pretty heavily last year, so cancelling it at this point was not a light decision. Maybe Platinum got in over their heads, maybe MS demanded too much of them (I'd bet that the 4-player coop was their idea), but the game obviously wasn't up to snuff.

As for Sega/Sony/Nintendo rescuing the title, nope, not gonna happen. Microsoft most likely owns the IP and they won't just let their rival have it (unless they'd be willing to pay through the nose).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:
As for Sega/Sony/Nintendo rescuing the title, nope, not gonna happen. Microsoft most likely owns the IP and they won't just let their rival have it (unless they'd be willing to pay through the nose).

You can never really tell. Microsoft and Nintendo are on better terms with each other than you might expect if you only looked at them as companies, and SEGA, a company that used to be Nintendo's biggest rival, gave the Bayonetta rights to Nintendo.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
JoeQ wrote:

You can never really tell. Microsoft and Nintendo are on better terms with each other than you might expect if you only looked at them as companies, and SEGA, a company that used to be Nintendo's biggest rival, gave the Bayonetta rights to Nintendo.

Sega days a rival were faaar gone at that point and they didn't just give them, they still own the IP. They had a contract where Nintendo fronted the money to develop Bayo 2 in exchange for exclusive rights and Sega got their cut of the sales. And it's different anyway, since Bayonetta 2 didn't even exist before the deal, whereas Microsoft has already invested heavily into Scalebound and they won't sell it without seeing profit.

"Fun" fact: Platinum doesn't actually own any of their games, the IPs are all owned by their various publishers. The downside of being guns for hire with a kind of spotty reputation (as in good games, bad sales).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2