• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The episode spoiled its own twist immediately. I really hope this isn't going to be a recurring thing because it took all of the suspense out of Snow White being attacked. How is the viewer suppose to worry about Snow White when the loser of that incident was obviously going to be ruler.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, balls. Yes, nobody would seriously believe that Snow White was going to be offed (MC immunity, the universal truth of 99.999% of any show ever made anywhere) but it was by no means obvious that The Ruler was going to be the one to be killed. She had all the hallmarks of an antagonist character who would go a much further distance than she did. I could easily have imagined a magical girl other than her being axed.
Muffum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious that the instant the episode started with a flashback to Ruler's life pre-magical girl, she was the one that was gonna die. Even then, before this episode I saw a ton of speculation that Ruler would die either next or soon after due to her minions rebelling against her.

Though I do have to say I'm a bit disappointed with how it went down. I guess that, in-universe, it makes sense that the girls could ask Fav to distribute their own candies to others, since there's not any real benefit to giving your own candies away. I just feel like if that point had been stressed more it would have made the betrayal more satisfying.

Though it's also possible that they did stress that at an earlier point, and I just forgot and am full of it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, balls. Yes, nobody would seriously believe that Snow White was going to be offed (MC immunity, the universal truth of 99.999% of any show ever made anywhere)

Of course Snow White wasn't going to die. However, she was suppose to be in trouble. You were suppose to worry about how they were going to get her out of that trouble. Instead there was no need to because it was obvious Ruler was the one who would be coming up short.

Blood- wrote:
but it was by no means obvious that The Ruler was going to be the one to be killed. She had all the hallmarks of an antagonist character who would go a much further distance than she did. I could easily have imagined a magical girl other than her being axed.

Uh, what? You talking about looking from episode 3 and earlier? Because episode 4 starting out with that flash back was one of the most obvious death flags I've seen in a really long time.

Muffum wrote:
I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious that the instant the episode started with a flashback to Ruler's life pre-magical girl, she was the one that was gonna die. Even then, before this episode I saw a ton of speculation that Ruler would die either next or soon after due to her minions rebelling against her.

Exactly. Doing it like that just blew all of the suspense. With the focus on that, they clearly weren't going to have time to set up any other girl therefore Ruler had to be the one to die. They should have held back on that until later on because not only did it give away a character death like a lot of sudden backstory flashbacks, but the twist of her being betrayed as well because how else does the leader that was shown to be a more competent candy gatherer than her minions end up last.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
well at least htis puts the shows closer to yuki yuna than to daybreak illusion; I wonder, since himura has his breasts sticking out, are all the sexy*/brasts showing magical girls actually guys (tho I think we were shown that the ninja one is a girl)?
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
All the deaths so far have been pretty predictable but I think what makes it work for me is they spend a lot of time developing all these characters and fleshing them out and exploring their goals and their past instead of focusing on the MC. I also like that adult women can become magical girls in this series. I think that's a good contrast to Madoka where I was always kind of annoyed at the whole idea of that show that spoiler[growing up meant you had to become evil.]
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I found it amusing that the ever-so-innocent and uninvolved Nemurin inadvertently set in motion Ruler's demise at Swim Swim's hands.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this show has got a surprise for all you, "zomg, I'm seeing a backstory flashback now therefore by mathematical formula THIS girl must be the next to die."
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, amazing episode. spoiler[And honestly, just a bit of what's to come, I think. This project is gonna blow people's minds with all the twists and such to come.]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have a feeling this show has got a surprise for all you, "zomg, I'm seeing a backstory flashback now therefore by mathematical formula THIS girl must be the next to die."

It wasn't just that we got a backstory flashback but that the backstory flashback was all we had. If this happened later in the story when we knew a bit more about other characters, it could have been just to further Ruler's character and provide us with her motivations for doing something significant later in the episode like say throwing one of her followers under the bus. However, at this point the only two involved in the conflict this episode that we really know anything about are Snow White and La Pucelle. The former obviously isn't going to die at this point. La Pucelle making a sacrifice to save Snow White might have been possible (actually seems likely to happen at some point), but isn't going to be related to Ruler's past.

We have this flashback about Ruler, and the only character the series has tried to get us even slightly invested in related to Ruler is Ruler herself. This is suppose to be the first time the girls actions directly kill someone. That should be a significant event, but it would have hardly any weight if a girl we know nothing about was killed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
@ SilverTalon01 - your reasoning is sound. I have to admit when I watched the eppie, I didn't pick up on the clue of the backstory and in retrospect, I probably should have. I wasn't even sure if anybody would die in the episode because I get the sense that F.av. (or the Powers he fronts) can change the goalposts at any time. And as I have already said, to me at least, The Ruler seemed to be being built up as an antagonist who might be around for a while.

But even if you figured out that Ruler was going down, I think the way it was done was pretty cool. Swim Swim emerges as a fairly terrifying character: armed with a child's amorality and penchant for literal interpretation mixed in with an innate cleverness. Yeesh.

And really F.av. (sans periods) gets filtered out to favorite? That seems kind of unnecessary.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But even if you figured out that Ruler was going down, I think the way it was done was pretty cool. Swim Swim emerges as a fairly terrifying character: armed with a child's amorality and penchant for literal interpretation mixed in with an innate cleverness. Yeesh.

I guess I may have sounded to negative about the entire episode. I thought Ruler dying, almost certainly by betrayal, was too obvious after the backstory flashback and destroyed any tension Snow White's situation should have had so I do really think that part was mishandled. However, I didn't see it being Swim Swim orchestrating it, and the reveal of why she did it was excellent. I also liked the contrast between Snow White adamantly sticking to her idealistic image of a magic girl and La Pucelle's more realistic approach to and acceptance of them being in a fight to the death. It was like classic magic girl meets the modern darker magic girl. I mean I knew Snow White was a goody goody, but I expected her to at least want to try to get her own candy back (before she realized she still had half of course).
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
However, I didn't see it being Swim Swim orchestrating it, and the reveal of why she did it was excellent.

Funny, I thought Swim Swim would when we got that line from two weeks ago--when Ruler was surprised that Swim Swim remembered what she said about subordinates emulating leaders--I just didn't think it'd be this soon. I thought it might be Tama due to her poor performance the week before.

That said, I kind of agreed with some of Ruler's points in her human form; not the name-calling so much, but wanting to improve the company and attempting to go through the proper channels for it, plus the implication that all she did was make coffee and print copies, acts far below her skill set. But all that sympathy got tossed out the window when she basically brainwashed her cronies into submission, so I guess it evens out.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So far, so good. Liking what I am watching. Hopefully, it's endgame won't be the failure that Yuki Yuna suffered from.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh right, La Pucelle's straightforwardness in acknowledging how he's saying the lines he always wanted to was refreshing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17