• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Shimoneta Anime's English-Dubbed Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NefCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I think most would agree that a small clip like this is hardly representative of what an entire series could be.

I mean the entire series pretty much went off the rails into Pervertville from the get go, so you cannot expect Shakespeare when it comes to the acting.

That being said there are a number of scenes that I'll be curious to see how Funimation handles them.... The cookies scene being chief among the "I dare them to dub that" list I had going in my head as I watched this series.

NefCanuck
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
gedata wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Nice try, but the dub (or at least the trailer) seems to be missing the point of the series. It s a comedy sure, but the real draw is the satire, not just the dirty jokes.
The problems the show satirises are not a thing in America, or at least not to the extent they are in Japan. So presenting this to an American audience, a lot won't understand that element of the show, so it may be for the best to present it as a pure comedy. Though I agree it is a shame the message is lost.

But how do we know that for sure? From the trailer? It could be that the person(s) that produced the trailer had lost the message. The lines said here don't seem that different from what was said in the official subtitles.

The trailer is in no way representative of what the actual anime is like. Maybe its marketing, maybe its a bad dub.

I'd go for the former. On top of only hearing two actual characters speak, had the Japanese trailer been made with the same clips, it wouldn't have been much different as the selling point would still look like LOLPENIS.

Right. I can't really form an opinion on the dub based on this trailer like some people can, so I'm gonna wait to hear a little more.

I learn If you really enjoy a show whatever language you watch it in first becomes your fav. Their faces get match with their voice and it will always seem off if you change it. Thats why I hold off on a show if I know funi has it and bigger known shows sentai has as well. I don't speak japanese english is my first language so I enjoy a show more if I can understand it without the help of subtitles that usually are rewrote in a way to make sense in english but loses the meaning in japanese. Like if you have to explain a joke it becomes unfunny.

So dub over sub fights are dumb if you only understand english
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I couldn't get enough information from this one trailer to pin down what direction Funimation is heading with it so I guess I'll just have to wait for the home video release to find out more. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
The fact that they have Chris Sabat doing the trailer is a reason enough for me to watch it. Given the show's content, "it's over 9000!" could seem so appropriate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2