• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metroid II Remake Shut Down After DMCA Copyright Claim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd be less bothered by this if Nintendo actually had any plans to put forward a REAL Metroid game...
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how long it'd be before this happened.

But honestly, look at the reception this game had among fans. Nintendo seriously made a misstep here, and I'm not talking about shutting it down. I'm talking about the money they could've made had they been the ones to actually make this instead. I would have totally been tempted to spend $15-$20 for a game like this, and I'm sure many of the people that downloaded am2r would have done the same.

The am2r project has made clear that there is a huge desire for more classic metroid gameplay, but Nintendo has chosen to ignore that audience in favor of some crappy side story game to pander towards their japanese 'co-op' audience instead.

And yeah, doing nothing for one of their biggest title's 30th anniversary? That's just really disappointing. And you can't say they "forgot" game companies know these things years in advanced as they make for great advertisements to bring in sales with the fans. I mean, look at Mario's 30th anniversary and Mario Maker. They played that up big time. Even half the effort that was put in to that would have been enough to get the fans excited for a new metroid game. :/
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaand that's why the DMCA must be abolished for good! Am I that right?
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Aaaaaand that's why the DMCA must be abolished for good! Am I that right?

Not exactly. It needs to be updated to suit our current society. Corporations want it to stay stagnant so as to make a bucketload of money off smaller creators, but independent content that makes reference to existing content is important in this day and age and as such the DMCA needs to move with the times.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

it's pretty easy to disrespect a dead person's wish.He is dead,what is he gonna do about it?I expected no less from this current Nintendo with its ass backwards mindset...

How is this backwards? Someone is taking potentinol money away from them. http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ZJIPw1j3cMBl2wJie6zl65OMeIjZd6aA

The game is available on 3ds for $3.99 for example. If someone plays this pirate remake, that's a sale lost for Nintendo. These people were fools for thinking they could get away with this, as are all the people who do crap like this despite all the evidence and obviousness that this isn't legal.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Also, less many major corporations forget that they built their empires by using public domain works in the form of adaptations.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
"Hey! Let's take a game and assets that we don't own and make a game with them, using licensed characters that we don't have the rights to!"
"Haven't other people gotten C&D's for doing that?"
"No, it's cool, this time'll be different!"
*gets C&D'd*

*Meanwhile, the fans...*

"Nintendo is so ass-backwards! No wonder they're doing so badly!"
*New high-profile release sells 300k units in three days*

Remeber, fans: you can love a brand, but that brand won't ever love you back.
Black_Kendoka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
One thing we may not realize is that Nintendo probably wouldn't have minded a free update of one of their games (not likely the case, but just for the sake of argument). One thing about copyright law is that, in order to keep that copyright going, you have to defend it at every turn, even if you're okay with it. If you don't enforce it one time, then you could run into issues trying to defend it at a later date because the defendants can bring up those other cases where they let it through.

This is really all I understand about copyright law here in the US. I'm no lawyer, so I can't even verify if that's actually how it's done, but it's what I've heard.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
The am2r project has made clear that there is a huge desire for more classic metroid gameplay, but Nintendo has chosen to ignore that audience in favor of some crappy side story game to pander towards their japanese 'co-op' audience instead.

Hey, don't push Federation Force on us. Japan hates the Prime series. Federation Force belongs to all the people who love Prime and demanded more Metroid shooter games.

Quote:
And yeah, doing nothing for one of their biggest title's 30th anniversary?

Metroid is not one of their biggest series. It's always been a niche title. The top selling Metroid game would make even the Wii U blush with embarrassment at those numbers. It doesnt belong anywhere near the same category as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and their other actual top titles. Even Splatoon does better.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Black_Kendoka wrote:
One thing we may not realize is that Nintendo probably wouldn't have minded a free update of one of their games (not likely the case, but just for the sake of argument). One thing about copyright law is that, in order to keep that copyright going, you have to defend it at every turn, even if you're okay with it. If you don't enforce it one time, then you could run into issues trying to defend it at a later date because the defendants can bring up those other cases where they let it through.

This is really all I understand about copyright law here in the US. I'm no lawyer, so I can't even verify if that's actually how it's done, but it's what I've heard.

IANAL but that is more to do with Trademark rather than Copyright. Trademarks do not expire (unless you let them lapse) but if you make no attempt to defend them you can lose your trademark. Trademark will apply here as there will be some Trademarked names and designs.

While you can't loose your Copyright, if you refuse to defend infringements then when you do actually attempt to defend the damages awarded will be reduced significantly if you have made no previous attempt to defend copyright.

Basically Nintendo has every right and really does need to DMCA this.
Katamori

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
CycloneSP wrote:

Hey, don't push Federation Force on us. Japan hates the Prime series. Federation Force belongs to all the people who love Prime and demanded more Metroid shooter games.

Quote:
And yeah, doing nothing for one of their biggest title's 30th anniversary?

Metroid is not one of their biggest series. It's always been a niche title. The top selling Metroid game would make even the Wii U blush with embarrassment at those numbers. It doesnt belong anywhere near the same category as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and their other actual top titles. Even Splatoon does better.
Yeah it's top selling game is just shy of 3 million sold where splatoon is just short of 4.5 million.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Well anyone with half a brain could tell that this was going to happen eventually and although I would love a new Metroid game I just don't see it happening anytime soon so long as Nintendo only concentrates on there big name titles. Sad
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
NoA continuing to build that bridge back to the 90's. There really is only one constant in todays entertainment industry and it's overwhelming greed.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
They had all the right to but I won't deny that they are too stingy.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Also, less many major corporations forget that they built their empires by using public domain works in the form of adaptations.

Which is a great irony. When businesses gain ideas from other people's works, either they outright buy them or they adjust them so it skirts copyright laws. But when an individual or a group of individuals do the same, they can get threatened by those high-priced lawyers and shut you down.

So if these Metroid II people were prepared, they could've easily skirted Nintendo if they simply adjusted the game so it wasn't Metroid, but their own creation. But given it's all over the internet now, they actually won since Nintendo cannot chase down every copy of the game that's already out there.

So really nobody won.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3