• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Titan Comics Announces New Robotech Comic Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That's a kickstarter by Palladium books for a table top game.

This is the kickstarter by Harmony Gold which was canceled (because it was going to fail)

Gotcha. Yeah, that had to have been embarrassing for them.

As a side note: Harmony Gold's behavior has not only hurt Macross fans, but also Battletech/Mechwarrior fans. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the numerous lawsuits Harmony Gold brought against FASA and (after FASA was forced to close up shop) the companies that inherited the Battletech IP.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold when will let our beloved franchise go?

Part of me is grateful to them as a 3 year old watching Robotech as a child and knowing even at that age back then that it was not a American cartoon but actually something more later finding out it was my first indtroduction into Anime.

But the series known is Robotech is dead stick a fork in it and kill it with fire!

HG has been trying for years to revitalize and revive their dead franchise which resulted in going no where each and every time. They have and dream about big projects like new Animated series, Live Action Hollywood Productions, new toy lines, novels, and comics all have gone nowhere and or flopped big time.

I actually got to see Carl Macek and meet the man in his last appearance before his death at a convention before he died and while it was sad he passed the man was so delusional on what the state of the fandom of Robotech really is and that it's time has passed.

It's tragic his resistance is living on to this day with what's left HG preventing Macross from ever coming back to the states.

As for the recent kickstarter that failed I think he is talking about the canceled Robotech Academy Animated Series they tried 2 years ago. They tried to raise 500k and only raised 39 percent of that goal.

The madness seems to never want to end. HG nobody cares enough in large enough numbers about Robotech anymore, give up stop holding a rotting corpse and just let it be.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
FtKaru wrote:
Outside of nostalgia for some though, I really can't see a single person being interested in a Robotech comic.

How quickly folks forget that they managed to raise $1.4 million on Kickstarter three years ago...

You realize with that Kickstarter, Harmony Gold was taking advantage of the Robotech fanbase to front the money to make that new Anime, instead of spending their own. Given their real estate holdings, they have millions in the bank.

There are a lot of people who got into Robotech when it was on tv in the US and never made the jump to any other anime series, the same way there are a lot of people who remember Power Rangers fondly but couldn't care less about super sentai.

These people don't care that these shows were nothing like the originals; they are only interested in the Americanized versions. There are even people who like the Americanized versions because they are Americanized.

And yet unlike the Power Rangers and the Super Sentai, there literally no difference between Robotech's Macross Saga and the original Macross. It's all the same except names being non-Japanese.

But Harmony Gold is taking up the momentum of Sony making the movie and milking that cow anyway they can, and the original creators in Japan, don't get a single cent. And that's not right.

As a side note: Harmony Gold's behavior has not only hurt Macross fans, but also Battletech/Mechwarrior fans. I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the numerous lawsuits Harmony Gold brought against FASA and (after FASA was forced to close up shop) the companies that inherited the Battletech IP.

Which is why they generate so much anger.

The best solution would've been for them to reinvent the series from scratch and not use the "borrowed" assets. Yet, they continue to abuse their original agreement. Which I'm still dumbfounded why the Japanese creators yet to challenge it.

Last edited by SWAnimefan on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
so why hasn't anyone tried to force harmony gold out of business since trying to buy the license away from them would require an amount well into the trillions

Harmony Gold's core business is not anime. They are a real estate company with Robotech as a side project.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually there are core lore swaps between Macross and Robotech.

Protoculture in Macross is simple the originating alien race that spawned Culture in the galaxy.
Protoculture in Robotech is a WMD.

Philosophically, its a huge difference within the first series.

Episode 27's battle also has the usual catchy pop songs to surprise the enemy. Robotech has a somber "fight to the death" song. As the climax of the TV show its rather big.

Is there a tally for how many times the girls say "Oooooh Rick" in the Robotech version?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Its goal was $70,000, it made $1,442,312. Are we talking about different Kickstarters?

That's a kickstarter by Palladium books for a table top game.

This is the kickstarter by Harmony Gold which was canceled (because it was going to fail)

This.

As for Voltron, it would have been forgotten had it not been for the US. I don't see GoLion 7, or GoLion Frontier anywhere do you? No, we needed the Avatar people to make a proper reboot.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
Outside of nostalgia for some though, I really can't see a single person being interested in a Robotech comic.

I'd be interested if it were well done. The stitched-together nature of the show means there's plenty of questions to build new stories upon -- what happened to Rick and Lisa after they left Earth; what happened to Dana and gang during the Invid invasion; and did Scott Bernard ever find the SDF3. We got decent answers to the first question in the Sentinel novels from the '80s, but the second is a huge gap that I would love to see filled, and the third ... well, we got Shadow Chronicles, which completely ignored Scott's mission in favor of introducing yet another villainous alien race. And unfortunately Shadow Chronicles has dimmed my hopes of ever seeing a decent continuation of the story.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
FtKaru wrote:

I'd be interested if it were well done. The stitched-together nature of the show means there's plenty of questions to build new stories upon -- what happened to Rick and Lisa after they left Earth; what happened to Dana and gang during the Invid invasion; and did Scott Bernard ever find the SDF3. We got decent answers to the first question in the Sentinel novels from the '80s, but the second is a huge gap that I would love to see filled, and the third ... well, we got Shadow Chronicles, which completely ignored Scott's mission in favor of introducing yet another villainous alien race. And unfortunately Shadow Chronicles has dimmed my hopes of ever seeing a decent continuation of the story.

Most of those question were covered in "Robotech:The sentinels"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_II:_The_Sentinels
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Harmony Gold's best bet is the proposed live action movie and not another comic book and if that said movie really takes off with non Anime fans than we'll never be rid of HG. Shocked
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm amazed that Robotech is still going on after all these years despite it earning its notorious reputation of being the reason for most of the Macross franchise not being able to see the light of day in the U.S. Harmony Gold must really be desperate in attempting to bring relevancy back to their long-outdated show...

Same here. Macross franchise in Japan contantly renew itself with new series ike every 5 to 10 years, but Harmony Gold is still trying to revive its Robotech franchise with the same old characters and storyline.

We have to blame non-anime fans who fondly remember Robotech as it is. They're the ones who spend money on the franchise. Look at Robotech game table top game kickstarter. It raised $1 million for a table top game, yes, a friggin' a table top game.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I have a question. How come there's so much hate directed towards Robotech but Voltron gets a free pass? Both of them are nostalgia mining from companies who can't do anything original, but people seem more critical of Robotech than Voltron despite the fact Voltron pumps out more American entries and therefore milks the brand far more than Robotech? Both are franchises that should be forgotten.

The folks that handled Voltron/Dairugger XV/GoLion didn't go and force their way into the copyright of the show, continuing to prevent the licensing of any further, related projects in favor of a stale, moribund franchise. Media Blasters was able to release the original GoLion a few years ago (for all the good that did them).

Provided, as someone else mentioned, there haven't been subsequent Dairugger/GoLion works that could get involved.

Harmony Gold, however, elbowed their way into the Macross franchise, claiming that by creating Robotech they deserved to be labeled as partial creators/owners of Macross. They've been squatting on the rights ever since, even though nothing tangible has come of Robotech since that abysmal Shadow Chronicles film over a decade ago.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
If the issue at hand here is with Harmony Gold's horrible business practices, I don't know why you can't just separate Robotech from their company's decisions. I feel like if Harmony Gold just went out of business and someone like Funimation rescued licensed Robotech and finally started bringing Macross stuff back over, it'd suddenly be cool to love Robotech again. I feel like one can be critical of Harmony Gold's business practices but still appreciate Robotech for what it did and for introducing a lot of Americans to anime. It might not have as much relevance today with modern anime fandom, but it was one of the first serial narrative anime brought over that allowed characters to actually die on the show. And having seen both Macross and Robotech, I think fans exaggerate the changes. Yes, there were a few plot changes made and the usual Americanization, but the overall episode was the same, and most episodes did in fact follow the original word for word. It was really The Robotech Masters that had the most severe changes to the plot. It also seems like there's a double standard here that anime fans bash Robotech for all its changes yet a lot of anime fans praised Saban for doing the same thing to Glitter Force even though Saban dubbing Glitter Force will also prevent uncut Pretty Cure from coming over here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
The Robotech story was completely told in 21 novels. Believe the End of the Circle was the last one. So there is a story to be told, and plenty of material to drawn from for a TV series or a bunch of movies.
I understand that this is an anime site, but is your hatred so all-encompassing that you are now blaming non-anime fans for their love of the series.
I love Robotech and I love the Macross franchise. I wish we could get Macross Frontier and Macross Delta over here. Hell, I am here in Sasebo, Japan working, and I have picked up Macross Delta knick-knacks from the Macross Delta display in Animate.
As someone mentioned, there is a Robotech table top and RPG games. They have been around for years, and they are still selling them at stores that sell real board games. They are obviously making money, or it would have died out a long time ago. There was a Robotech mod community too, don’t know about now.
You all can pretend all you want that Harmony Gold is not making any money off the Robotech franchise, and you can pretend all you want that there are no fans of Robotech. The truth is there are plenty of fans to keep the franchise going in some form or another. Right now it seems it is the gaming side that is keeping things afloat. There are plenty of anime fans that love Robotech and Macross.
If you want to do something constructive, instead of writing Harmony Gold’s name in your Death Notes, why don’t you try writing to Big West and that other Japanese company, and tell them to start building bridges to Harmony Gold. The best contracts are the ones where everyone is a winner. But you are going to shrivel up and die of old age before Harmony Gold is.
You all and I have a better chance of seeing Macross over here, than I have of seeing Phil Foglio and Connor Freff Cochran get back together to work on their dream comic D’arc Tangent. We will only ever have issue #1.

Problem with Robotech right now is that Harmony Gold doesn’t want to spend the money to make a really decent anime movie or TV series. Personally, I thought they should have stayed with the novelization story line, instead of doing some side story, like this Academy thing. I hope that Sony will spend the money to at least get the effects right, and doesn’t water things down, where it isn’t Robotech anymore. Even though it wasn’t a success, I thought the Wing Commander movie was quite good. So I would be happy with that level of effort and money.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
If by some miracle the Robotech film doesn't become vaporware, the end result is more likely to resemble a redone Starship Troopers script than anything Macross related.

And that's not to say that the original is this infallible thing. Do You Remember Love? had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese. But it also had one of the best climaxes in the animated medium. I'd be all for a film that patches those holds and redoes that. I just don't expect it from a real estate company/copyright trolls.
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Never realized there was so much hate for Robotech in these boards. I guess like some people said that it might be nostalgia, but call it what you will; I'm a huge fan of the Robotech saga. So bring on the comics!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4