• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oreimo Author's Eromanga Sensei Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
TendouMan wrote:

Oreimo definitely left a bad taste, but at least it didn't cop out. It didn't play with the incest idea, but went (almost) straight ahead towards it.

Except it did cop out at the end...

I kept up with the first 3 novels of Eromanga, and I can say it is without a doubt a very dull story. Note that I have absolutely no problem with incest. However, the interaction between the MC and the other characters, including his sister, is so bland and, most of the time, pointless that after volume 1 I started skimming through every chapter. I stopped only to read sections featuring the ONLY interesting character (yes, I'm implying that the MC is not an interesting character.) I'll watch the anime only to see Emily, all the while knowing that the MC will likely end up with his sister because the author has a fetish...
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting on this one! I really like comedy that goes into this authors series. Call this story cliche, but I love it. I can't wait to hear the stomping and Eromanga sensei saying that catchphrase.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
EighteenSky wrote:
Fab news, been meaning to start reading this again, got 5 volumes but only read 1 chapter (too many series to read!) so this is gonna give me a nudge.

Unfortunately the group translating the novels got a cease and desist for it, so unless you had them downloaded before hand you can't read them anymore.

I'm on the translation team for the novels and I have no idea what you're talking about. They are still up for anyone to read, and the translator just contacted me last week and said that novel 5 will be ready soon.

That being said, I've been waiting for this for awhile! I've not seen Oreimo but this feels a bit more like Bakuman ran through a bit more of an otaku filter. It's a pretty good series, and I'm excited to see what they are going to do with it!

omg where?
I got stuck on vol. 2 Sad
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Thankfully Eromanga-Sensei purposely avoids a lot of the things that made Oreimo's ending such a shitfest.

They are step siblings, but the story never hides this and both characters know about it. That's only a cop out when characters who everyone believed were blood siblings are suddenly revealed not to be at the very end.

yeah,there was this shoujo manga I've read last year called True Love that pull this at end (and from the beggining of the story I JUST KNEW they would do this... ) revealing that the siblings were adopted (and also revealing that the deceased biological parents of the boy were siblings and he is the result of an incestuous relationship...which holds no impact on the plot since this is revealed at the very end of the story where everything was solved already, so, whatever...)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty common twist for "incest" stories as it allows for all the forbidden love drama to play out while making it so it's not wrong for them to be together in the end.

To its credit, Oreimo didn't pull that twist but that was the least of its problems.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Kanzaki's character designs, I'm going to have to watch this.. I am still bitter about the ending of Oreimo to this day, but I find the designs so appealing that I would still rewatch it. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be such a trainwreck so I can get my fill of Kanzaki's designs without having to think about Oreimo. Laughing
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's to hoping it turns out better than Oreimo. I'm willing to bet that the studio behind Eromanga-sensei will be A-1 Pictures, since that was the studio behind season 2 of Oreimo.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
At its best, Oreimo was a mediocre experience. At its worst...I still haven't forgetten how bad it got. I've seen my fair share of shitty series but I'd put it in my top ten worst series without a second thought and some of its characters fare even worse. The promo art for this looked ok but then I read the author's name and the synopsis and I felt compelled to type this needless paragraph to express my disdain.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

And sibling love again huh, let me guess, in order to avoid that Oreimo fiasco and NOTincest nonsense, the Ero-manga sensei will turns out to be MC-kun'a cousin/non-related sister...right?

Why yes, they're step-siblings. Their parents got married to each other about a year before the start of the series.

i suspected that was the case.because of oreimo's ending ,series that have storylines with blood related siblings will now unfortunately become more and more rarer. and its not surprising at all that their step siblings instead of cousins like with kirito and lefa from SAO and the tsuchimikado pair from tokyo ravens which of course is a ploy by light novel authors to keep away those that dont like the stories of blood related siblings in love. dont be surprised at all if more and more authors will have their series like these to only feature stepsibling relations.

oreimo's author should have taken a tone from series like angel sanctuary , koi kaze, and wixoss and allowed those two to be a couple instead of that half assed ending. definitely bad choice on his part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
Good new, i like this author after Oreimo (the ending was a bit bitter but the whole work was great).

Hopefully they will cover the whole story overtime like Oreimo.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

oreimo's author should have taken a tone from series like angel sanctuary , koi kaze, and wixoss and allowed those two to be a couple instead of that half assed ending. definitely bad choice on his part.

Not is fault, he wanted a full couple ending. He has said many times that this ending is the best he could push on with for the incest route due to publishing issues. The publishers probably are afraid that the books fall under Tokyo's Youth Ordinance Bill. You probably remember what happened with the "Aki Sora" manga. That's why he have made that "between the lines" ending.

One example of what the author gone thru with the ending was the last scene of the anime when spoiler[Kyosuke kisses Kirino on the cheek. The author wanted that they kiss in the lips.]
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Why yes, they're step-siblings. Their parents got married to each other about a year before the start of the series.

Ah, well, I'm fine with that. While I understand people still view steps having a romantic relationship as incest, I don't...I had no problem with the original Da Capo pairing.

Ah, OreImo...if there was only a way for me to own the first season and the OVAs, without having to get the 2nd season. Then, I'd rewatch that series. Laughing

While OreImo was ruined, for me, by its ending, I'm still a fan of Kuroneko. Currently getting the Kuroneko manga from Darkhorse. So, Fushimi gave me an ending to a series I didn't like...he also gave me Kuroneko, which means he still came out slightly ahead.

I'll check this anime out. Glad to hear they're upfront about the whole step-sibling thing, and I do need something to wash out the bad taste Evergreen left (even though, volume 1 gave away the ending, damn keys!)...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
TendouMan wrote:

Oreimo definitely left a bad taste, but at least it didn't cop out. It didn't play with the incest idea, but went (almost) straight ahead towards it.

Except it did cop out at the end...

I kept up with the first 3 novels of Eromanga, and I can say it is without a doubt a very dull story. Note that I have absolutely no problem with incest. However, the interaction between the MC and the other characters, including his sister, is so bland and, most of the time, pointless that after volume 1 I started skimming through every chapter. I stopped only to read sections featuring the ONLY interesting character (yes, I'm implying that the MC is not an interesting character.) I'll watch the anime only to see Emily, all the while knowing that the MC will likely end up with his sister because the author has a fetish...

i wouldnt say that. if that really was the case then the author would have had them as blood related instead of stepsiblings in the manga and light novels. the same for this new light novel series. not to mentioned that the anime's ending wouldnt have been like that. then again,it's probably as i suspected and its the production committee that changed the ending into that half-assed one instead of having them completely together ala koi kaze. then again, were in the minority since a majority of people arent into storylines containing incest which is why the majority of some series that have this have the main two characters as stepsiblings. and speaking i would recommend you watching koi kaze or read angel sanctuary since their endings involving their sibling characters are much better handled or if your into sub versions watch selector spread wixoss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
if that really was the case then the author would have had them as blood related instead of stepsiblings in the manga and light novels.

Why are you the only person I've seen say this? Every other comment I've seen on OreImo always say that they're blood related siblings.

Even the best and worst anime ending article mentions it.
Quote:
but the short version is that lead characters Kyosuke and Kirino, who are actual blood brother and sister
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-03-02/what-the-best-anime-ending-youve-ever-seen/.99299
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2