• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Walmart Considers Dedicated Graphic Novel Section in Stores

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
Honestly, I don't see the point in buying manga from retail stores. Why pay msrp when you can get them for 25-30% cheaper through online stores?

Walmart actually doesn't sell most of it's books for MSRP. They generally have at least a 20% discount, maybe more. I'll do the math next time I go.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
There's also teens who don't have credit cards and/or receive a cash allowance. Being able to pick up books at WalMart would be convenient for them.

I've seen a few manga floating around there in the past, so I imagine those sold well enough for them to be considering a dedicated section now.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't see Walmart having a big selection or selling non-family friendly titles, despite what they sell in the DVD/BD area. But still it is nice news.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't see the point in buying manga from retail stores. Why pay msrp when you can get them for 25-30% cheaper through online stores?

I mean, sure. You could argue that you can actually choose the condition of the book you're getting but if you're unsatisfied with what you get from amazon, they'll give you a refund or replacement with no hassle. You don't know how many people touch the books on display with dorito fingers or just plain dirty hands, at least wearhouse workers use gloves and nothing's touched until it gets packaged up for shipment.

I want my books now and I have a local Barnes and Noble within five minutes of walking. Online shopping is great, but you pay out the ass for any kind of shipping that's even halfway speedy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice. The news about Viz is encouraging but of the other publishers listed only Dark Horse publishes manga and they are down to two to four titles a month. Also some of Dark Horse's titles are not all that family friendly. I don't see Wal-Mart carrying Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Everyone here is thinking manga, but Diamond is the primary distributor for a lot of alternative graphic novels from small US publishers. A fair number of those would meet Wal-Mart guidelines. Keep in mind that not every Wal-Mart carries everything the chain does.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I don't see Walmart having a big selection or selling non-family friendly titles, despite what they sell in the DVD/BD area. But still it is nice news.

Well, it's a graphic novel section, not a manga section, so most of it likely won't be manga.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@Sir Daniel Fortesque, a lot of people already said what I wanted say but if you only follow a few series or want to buy 1 or 2 volumes at time buying in a store can be more convienent. I buy most of my manga online but if I see a volume(s) for a series available at Barnes & Nobles, and it's in good condition, I'll generally pick it up. Plus, it's nice to be able buy it and read it right away.

Touma wrote:
I definitely see this as a positive thing. Anything that gives manga more exposure to potential new fans is good for the industry, and will probably be good for existing fans.
Having manga at Walmart will not benefit everybody, but it will benefit some of us.

Agreed. Walmart's never going to be my first stop for manga, but anything that gets more manga out there for a wider audience is a good thing.

Alan45 wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice. The news about Viz is encouraging but of the other publishers listed only Dark Horse publishes manga and they are down to two to four titles a month. Also some of Dark Horse's titles are not all that family friendly. I don't see Wal-Mart carrying Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Same here. When I saw Dark Horse listed, I chuckled. I can't imagine Walmart having bookshelves full of volumes of Kurosagi, Berserk or Gantz. They could do a 18+/adults section but I doubt that'll ever happen. Viz titles are definitely the best and safest choice for now and if it works out maybe they can then expand. I'll burst out laughing if Walmart starts carrying Monster Musume, Smile
kuzronk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I never been in a walmart but wouldn't they stock most things just as long as it's not hentai or looks like it?

I wonder if this will make manga/anime become closer to how big it was years ago.
Yadilie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

Walmart actually doesn't sell most of it's books for MSRP. They generally have at least a 20% discount, maybe more. I'll do the math next time I go.

Target sells new books under MSRP for a good while. Wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart did as well. B&N on the other hand..
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
When I used to work for Walmart, in the first two years or so, the store I worked at kept a pretty decent selection of manga (well, for a Walmart). It was namely mainstream titles like Vampire Knight, Naruto, a random volume here and there of One Piece or Bleach, and eventually the first few volumes of Sailor Moon. Like their other periodicals, they were sold for 10% less than MSRP, although with my discount at the time I saved another 10%.

It was eventually discontinued (with the random exception made for Sailor Moon and the Twilight GNs), which kinda stunk. The store I worked at was the only place close by where I could've bought new manga for both Vampire Knight and Naruto and read it the same day, and I didn't have to wait for TRSI to ship it to me.

I would be opened to them doing the same thing again, even though now I'm a lot closer to places like B&N that have a much larger selection.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Well, it's a graphic novel section, not a manga section, so most of it likely won't be manga.

Diamond lists most manga a graphic novels. They also use the term "trade paperback" but this appears to be interchangeable with graphic novel. The big question is how much manga is handled by Diamond's book division. Most of the US manga publishers other than Dark Horse distribute to retail channels other than comic shops by someone other than Diamond.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
This would be really good for people like me. You see I live in a small town and we don't have crap. The closest book store is at least 45 minutes away and has and it sucks to drive all that way just to pick up another volume of a manga I'm following and not have any other purpose. (I also DESPISE shopping online because every time I do the package either never comes or I get the wrong package by mistake and there's also the price for shipping and handling that's wicked expensive.) So this would be a HUUUUUGE help to me and the 100 other people that belong on my areas anime Facebook group.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
What I heard from someone who used to be a manager at Wal-Mart, they have a policy of you as the supplier having to make sure that all Wal-Mart stores can carry your item. That means 2000 however many stores they have, you have to be able to accommodate all of them. So it would be interesting to see how this actually does. They'll probably run this for a bit but my money would be on it not lasting that long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Where does Wal-Mart even HAVE books for sale, anyway, let alone GN/manga?
Jammed in on the edge of the DVD shelves, along that back wall by the HDTV displays showing Netflix Dragons reruns?

(Keep in mind, I'm talking about most towns' average strip-mall Wal-Mart--Not the Super Walmart with the grocery store attached, which I wouldn't know, offhand.)
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This to me is a positive. I lack transportation and we usually go to walmart more than anywhere else due to that since it's close by. So this helps a lot. Now if they could expand their anime section, I'd be happier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3