• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Wars Beats Spirited Away's Opening Weekend Record in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirohae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
eww why..Star Wars was too over hyped and overrated !
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Because Star Wars is a ubiquitous and extremely popular IP with fans from every walk of life. The only IP up there in terms of appeal that widespread, omnipresent, and cross-demographic is The Beatles. What did you expect? For the Japanese to reject The Force Awakens? Star Wars is HUGE there. Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece, dedicates a wall in his office where he draws his manga solely to Star Wars merchandise. No doubt he, too, is super-hyped to see it, if he hasn't already.

Leave it to an anime site to find people who hate Star Wars though. (Besides those early critics who gave negative reviews to A New Hope.)
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
eww why..Star Wars was too over hyped and overrated !

"Stop liking things I don't like!"

It's a mainstream franchise that hasn't had a sequel in 32 years. It may be a shock to you but if you go over to box office mojo American films regularly top the charts in Japan. Frozen pretty much doubled what Wind Rises made, and that was Miyazaki's highest grossing film.
Kutsu wrote:
Not to mention that In terms of total gross, it will be lucky to do a third of what Spirited Away did in Japan.

As someone else mentioned, 1/3 of Spirited away is only $77m. Even even the mediocre prequels did beat that when ticket prices where cheaper 13 years ago and 10 years ago. Heck look at Phantom Menace, it made 110m Japan likes Star Wars.

If you want to adjust for inflation:
ROTS=100.5m
AOTC=104m
TPM=156.5m
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

It didn't sell more tickets than Yôkai Watch on the 2 day weekend which is the official frame used in Japan. Since Japan, like many European countries, ranks box office using admissions, Star Wars technically didn't even debut at #1 there : http://eiga.com/ranking/.

Kids tickets always bring extra tickets with them - their parents. So as the Jedi say, always 2 there are (at least): a master (kid) and an apprentice (parent). So for every 1 person who wants to watch the movie, there's 2 tickets (at least).

Kutsu wrote:

On the 2 day frame it registered the 17th biggest weekend in Japan in terms of revenue and the 21th biggest in terms of revenue. Basically, another 'Star Wars is breaking all the records' article which isn't exactly true when you look a bit closer.

One can't really say that though, since a lot of the Star Wars tickets sold on Friday when it premiered. Movies in Japan usually premiere on a Saturday.

So, if people are going to compare the 2-day ticket sales, for Star Wars they have to use the Friday & Saturday ticket sales, not the usual Saturday & Sunday ticket sales for movies that usually premiere on Saturday.

Kutsu wrote:

Not to mention that In terms of total gross, it will be lucky to do a third of what Spirited Away did in Japan.

Spirited Away did about $230M in Japan; a third of that is about $77M. $77M is surpassed by a lot of movies in Japan, so that won't be too hard.

Now, matching Spirited Away is the almost impossible part. The only one to come close recently is Frozen. Because it would take months and months of staying power at the top of the box office.

The same way with Avatar - many movies have since broken many of Avatar's records, but what even those record-breaking movies couldn't come close to breaking is Avatar's longevity, and that's why Avatar is still #1 worldwide by a long shot. Star Wars VII has a shot at $2B, but even an acclaimed franchise as Star Wars would take a miracle to surpass Avatar (China is the unknown wild card - Star Wars has not opened in China yet, not till next month).

It premiered at 6.30 pm on Friday in Japan so its Friday will have been smaller than its sunday meaning that you would actually be doing it a disservice by using the Friday-Saturday numbers instead of the Saturday-Sunday numbers.

Spirited Away grossed ¥30.40 billion meaning that a third of that gross would be ¥10.13 billion, a threshold which neither Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith reached.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Never seen that movie. Is it a remake of the Philosopher's stone? -_-

That's the North American name for the first movie.

I know. It was sarcasm. The title change is stupid.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Because Star Wars is a ubiquitous and extremely popular IP with fans from every walk of life. The only IP up there in terms of appeal that widespread, omnipresent, and cross-demographic is The Beatles. What did you expect? For the Japanese to reject The Force Awakens? Star Wars is HUGE there. Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece, dedicates a wall in his office where he draws his manga solely to Star Wars merchandise. No doubt he, too, is super-hyped to see it, if he hasn't already.

Hell, he flat-out drew the Straw Hats as the cast in a recent piece of promo art. And if you go back a long ways, even proto-Gainax threw Darth Vader and TIE Fighters into the legendary Daicon animations.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Never seen that movie. Is it a remake of the Philosopher's stone? -_-

I know. It was sarcasm. The title change is stupid.

American school kids are not taught alchemy so you see it was a legitimate title change. Twisted Evil
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

One can't really say that though, since a lot of the Star Wars tickets sold on Friday when it premiered. Movies in Japan usually premiere on a Saturday.

So, if people are going to compare the 2-day ticket sales, for Star Wars they have to use the Friday & Saturday ticket sales, not the usual Saturday & Sunday ticket sales for movies that usually premiere on Saturday.

It premiered at 6.30 pm on Friday in Japan so its Friday will have been smaller than its sunday meaning that you would actually be doing it a disservice by using the Friday-Saturday numbers instead of the Saturday-Sunday numbers.

Ah yeah, the time elapsed difference. Hmmm..... guess the fair way then is to take the first 48 hours starting from the time of general release.

Kutsu wrote:

Spirited Away grossed ¥30.40 billion meaning that a third of that gross would be ¥10.13 billion, a threshold which neither Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith reached.

A couple of things: those movies didn't get the benefit of glowing reviews while this one does, and the last decade saw Japan an explosion of multiplexes. Make it less difficult to reach the number.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Kids tickets always bring extra tickets with them - their parents. So as the Jedi say, always 2 there are (at least): a master (kid) and an apprentice (parent). So for every 1 person who wants to watch the movie, there's 2 tickets (at least).

That sounds a bit like conjecture since most of Star Wars marketing was also to children, even in America, so you can say all the kids wanting to see Star Wars needed a parent as well. Though a lot of American movies tend to be marketed for all ages in Japan anyway. Ted was pretty big with kids in Japan.

-Stuart Smith
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

That would be American; Both the book and movie were released in Canada as "Philosopher's Stone".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

Perhaps it's a bit early, but... yeah, congrats, J.J.

Ah, J.J., what could he have done............. Laughing

J.J. Abrams reveals that he wanted an AKB48 idol in the cast for Star Trek

• The famed Hollywood director was ready to set his phaser to “idol.”

While he may not be buying idol CDs in bulk and lining up for hand shake events, it turns out that Abrams has indeed been to an idol unit concert. As a matter of fact, he went to a performance by the biggest idol unit: AKB48.

He said the performance was amazing, and that he was so impressed by the idols’ stage presence that he found himself wanting to add one of the energetic idols to Star Trek’s cast.

A Japanese Enterprise crew member wouldn’t have been unprecedented, as series regular Hikaru Sulu has a Japanese given name and was played for three decades by Japanese-American actor George Takei.

Stuart Smith wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That sounds a bit like conjecture since most of Star Wars marketing was also to children, even in America, so you can say all the kids wanting to see Star Wars needed a parent as well.

Yes, but I'd daresay the ratio of those who want to see it vs. those who's just there for the kids, would be in favor of Star Wars (meaning, more parents would have purchased the tickets for themselves anyways even if there's no kids).

Stuart Smith wrote:

Though a lot of American movies tend to be marketed for all ages in Japan anyway. Ted was pretty big with kids in Japan.

Well, here's the story with Ted - it's tamer in Japan:

'Ted 2' tones down language with edited Japan version for 12-year-olds

• But shockingly enough, it turns out Ted is capable of self-censoring, as the recently released sequel “Ted 2” is being edited into a family-friendly picture aimed at kids as young as 12 in Japan.

Family Guy, the resurrected TV series that MacFarlane rode to stardom, is virtually unknown in Japan, but that didn’t stop the first Ted movie from being a massive hit. While sarcastic English-language comedy usually doesn’t translate very well into Japanese, Ted had enough universally understandable visual humor with its slapstick and gross-out gags to draw plenty of Japanese moviegoers to theaters.

Honestly, Ted actually is pretty cute when he’s not spouting vulgarities, and the relative lack of indisputable obscenities meant that the dialogue’s Japanese translations (whether in dubbed or subtitled form) weren’t as out-and-out foul as many of the English lines they were matched to.

Actually, in the run-up to Ted 2’s release, an edited version of the original Ted was shown on Japanese broadcast television. After taking a look at the high ratings it garnered, as well as listening to audience feedback, the sequels producers have announced that they’ve created a version of Ted 2 with “milder dialogue” and “reedited scenes,” which will play concurrently with the unedited version in Japanese theaters.

Ted himself appeared in the movie’s official Japanese Twitter account to help spread the word.

【テッド氏、緊急謝罪会見】この度も下品な言動が多くてさーせんした。真面目なおっさんの姿をお見せすべく、お下劣控えめ、家族でも観れる『テッド2』PG12版、緊急公開します。 以上会見終わり goo.gl/hffKAR http://t.co/PM4BPrJ0eV
    — 映画『テッド』公式アカウント (@TED_MOVIE2013) September 07, 2015

“【Mr. Ted’s emergency apology press conference】

‘Eh, so sorry for all the dirty language. In order to show myself as an earnest middle-aged dude, we’re releasing a Ted 2 PG12 version right away, one that’s less vulgar and that you can watch as a family. That’s all I’ve got to say.’”

▼ And then he bowed in contrition.

• I was surprised last night as i was teaching a group of three elementary school boys, and they started singing the Thunder buddy song. I had completely forgot about it, and they told me to google it. I did and started to play it and forgot how raunchy the song is, but then I listened to the Japanese version and it is much more tame. They then told me that they had watched it on network TV a few weeks back, which also surprised the hell out of me. But now reading this report, the language has been so diluted and changed to make it into a story of a talking teddy bear, nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways, ya guys wanna know what movie tickets looked like when the original Star Wars came out in Japan? A Japanese mother saved her ticket stub from all those years ago: Laughing

man, theater tickets have changed. Nowadays you’re lucky if your ticket even has the name of the movie on it, much less a full-color illustration. And not only that but a list of the actors, Oscar nominations, and the tagline (in “cool-sounding” English of course).
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:

I noticed you left out a movie: Phantom Menace... the first film in a Star Wars trilogy... just like this one, which would make it an ideal comparison. I wonder why you didn't mention what that one grossed?
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

I noticed you left out a movie: Phantom Menace... the first film in a Star Wars trilogy... just like this one, which would make it an ideal comparison. I wonder why you didn't mention what that one grossed?

It grossed ¥12.70 billion. I didn't mention it because its opening weekend numbers in Japan aren't available and because SW7's 3 day gross happened to fall right between Attack on the Clones and Revenge of the Sith's 3 day grosses making for a good comparison for the projected total.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
man, theater tickets have changed. Nowadays you’re lucky if your ticket even has the name of the movie on it, much less a full-color illustration. And not only that but a list of the actors, Oscar nominations, and the tagline (in “cool-sounding” English of course)

Although Japan already had "Reserved tickets" way before the Internet was ever invented.
(And how many Original-Generation'ers even remember the days when big movies still had souvenir programs for sale in the lobby?)

enurtsol wrote:

It was only after '02 that US studios realized why kids' films do better on after-Christmas vacation, and why the opening numbers for a family film are so inexplicably low on Friday and then shoot up over the weekend:
Kids don't have their money, and don't have their own cars to drive to the shopping malls. (Unlike teens who can go to Avatar and Hobbit Trilogy over the holidays.)
Anyone who said we kids "brought" our parents to the movie doesn't remember how hard the negotiations could be.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
man, theater tickets have changed. Nowadays you’re lucky if your ticket even has the name of the movie on it, much less a full-color illustration. And not only that but a list of the actors, Oscar nominations, and the tagline (in “cool-sounding” English of course).

If you even get ticket stubs. I Fandango'd my tickets to Star Wars for a reserve seating theater (I usually just go to the general admission one across town) and not only was there no print option available for barcode scanning, but it was a "live ticket" so all I needed to do was show my phone to the ticket taker.

I like ticket stubs because they feel like souvenirs for every film I see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3