• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Senseless butchering of anime. Sad to see it still being done in this day and age. Sad

They could cut out episodes that are so plotless they do no effect in the characters' or story's grand scheme of things. Or it could be a broadcasting mantra from a specific channel they plan on putting on. Who knows?
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Smile Precure's main characters were in second grade, so 13-14 years old. This listing has them as "preteen" girls. Meaning more than just the anime's name will be changed.

2nd grade is about 8-9 years old for most US schools, not 13-14. Pre-teen would be a accurate description for them.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
G... Glitter force...
I thought we were past the butchering of anime. Mostly,
LostCause126

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
So basically we've all decided as some sort of hive mind that this is going to suck before we even really know anything about it?

Because I've already had to handle one forum ban for someone today for whining that the show is going to be ruined forever because (*gasp*) the characters might have English names.
wohdin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
I hope this winds up dragging Saban through the weeds.

This is utterly inexcusable in 2015.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
I guess their failure at making Digimon relevant again is the cause of the delay.

I can imagine Nick's recent handling of Winx Club being another reason since they moved that show to Nick Jr. for it's current season.
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
G... Glitter force...
I thought we were past the butchering of anime. Mostly,

Right, cause "Smile Precure" makes sense to a second grader. You guys need to understand that this stuff is made for kids. You think Saban is gonna spend money bringing this over just to appeal to a niche group of otakus? They want that My Little Pony money.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Smile Precure's main characters were in second grade, so 13-14 years old. This listing has them as "preteen" girls. Meaning more than just the anime's name will be changed.

2nd grade is about 8-9 years old for most US schools, not 13-14. Pre-teen would be a accurate description for them.

Wait. By 'second grade' do they mean second grade in elementary school or second grade in middle school (Japanese middle school)? If so, then the characters would be 13-14.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
Right, cause "Smile Precure" makes sense to a second grader.

I can say the same for "Glitter Force." Since when Precure involve the use of glitter and cheesy action?
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
You think Saban is gonna spend money bringing this over just to appeal to a niche group of otakus? They want that My Little Pony money.

Wait a sec, you're telling me that My Little Pony isn't made for a niche group of otaku? Shocked

spoiler[... That's a joke about bronies. :V]

More seriously, I haven't watched Precure before, but it's disappointing to see that it may be getting an 80s/90s style TV dub butchering based on the discrepancy between episode counts.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
I swear to God, I choked on my sandwich when I read "Glitter Force". Wow, it's like I'm back in 1999. Dear lord... 40 episode? I hope in bombs. TOEI doesn't need the money, but I hope Saban goes down in flames. Are they trying to be the next 4Kids?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
They could have at least kept the 48 episodes but still do the standard butchering. If Saban hadn't waited so long to Xros Wars/Fusion, perhaps they may have more success with it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Most of Smile Precure is filler so honestly I don't think 8 episodes being cut out is going to hurt the show too badly. Yeah the filler in Precure can be fun (Smile in particular reminded me a lot of those 'cute girls doing cute things' shows) but not a lot of it is completely necessary in the grand scheme of things.

A few episodes come to mind that might be considered 'too Japanese' for a young western audience with no knowledge of the country or its practices so I can understand why they'd cut that stuff out. I just hope they don't do something stupid like edit big fight scenes so they can cut down the episode count.
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
As an adult who considers himself a child at the core, I honestly don't mind edits for children's audiences. I got into anime through edited episodes of Voltron/Golion, thousands of other people got started with edited shows, as well.

To be frank, I do not always think "true to the original" is a synonym for better. One of the most amazing non-anime movies I ever saw changed a few things from the novel it was based on and those changes honestly made me like most of the characters more.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
Set, this is hardly the same. It's one thing to change some things when you adapt to a different medium. What Saban wants to do is to take that novel, rip out 10% of the pages and then sell it to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10