• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yona of the Dawn Shōjo Fantasy Manga Gets Stage Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
It's a little different when the manga's not available in English (I bought Funi's release of Princess Jellyfish, back in the days before any of us thought the manga had a chance here) but still I have to be really interested in a series or feel some sort of desire to support a "cause" (like josei manga) by my purchase.

I can understand supporting a cause. I buy comic books, and while I could save money on them if I were to buy the collections, I don't. Because the current model for the industry is based off the sales of the monthly issues, so I buy those instead.

But, I don't really have that same mentality when it comes to anime. SNAFU (and eventually SNAFU TOO) is kind of what comes closest. I wasn't fully satisfied with how the first season ended...but I loved it enough that I did buy the first season in the hopes that more would get made and that the novels would get licensed.

Now that the novels have gotten licensed, I'll be buying those, along with the 2nd season of the anime. That may be the only series that sits on my shelf where supporting the cause is partially responsible for my purchase.

TWGOK kind of falls into that category too, but I was only able to buy the 3rd season "when it counted", and by then...it was probably too late anyway, sadly.

Sometimes, my support for an anime will not extend beyond watching its legal stream. While I may support the property as a whole, through buying the licensed manga/novels...in print.

For Yona, it clearly having a quest that impacts everything, is what hurts it in my eyes. Of the current anime season, I feel like Prison School will end up in the same category as Yona has...it having a long term quest that can not be brought to a conclusion in the anime will hurt it.

Maybe that anime will surprise me, but if it doesn't, I can show further support for the property as a whole via buying the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2