• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Gets 2nd Anime Season in Spring 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdsathene

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
I like this series, I'm glad it's continuing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling that it will get another adaptation, but not another 25-ep one.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
This is a show that airs in the afternoons in Japan, not a late night anime. It's meant to be for kids and families, so disc sales aren't where the money is. Instead, it's ratings and advertising that make or break.

Although I'd imagine the ratings probably determine how much of a budget the network gets and what shows remain on air, NHK, to my knowledge, is not an ad supported network. Rather, they get government funding, if I'm correct. Someone out there might have a more detailed explanation how their system works.

Either way, I'd imagine the ratings were good enough to continue the series going. Plus, I'd imagine there are other factors at work here.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
It's NHK, so disc sales barely matter... and MAN am I happy about that! As a fan, I'm extremely excited, especially with these new characters appearing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Although I'd imagine the ratings probably determine how much of a budget the network gets and what shows remain on air, NHK, to my knowledge, is not an ad supported network. Rather, they get government funding, if I'm correct. Someone out there might have a more detailed explanation how their system works.

Whoops, sorry I meant advertising as in marketing/merchandise? Not the money tv channels get from people buying commercial space.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Excellent. It's a really good fun show and it's great to see it get a second season.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

Whoops, sorry I meant advertising as in marketing/merchandise? Not the money tv channels get from people buying commercial space.

Oh! No problem. Still, definitely information people should know about NHK. So I guess it doesn't hurt to have i out there, either way.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
jack.dowl wrote:
Quote:
Baby Steps got a second season despite not having good sales

The manga sales of Baby Steps seem to have received a reasonable boost though, which I am sure would have been a large contributing factor to future seasons being produced.

I didn't track sales for Baby Steps and Rinne since I wasn't really interested in them but let's see:

Baby Steps:
Volume 28: 36,225 copies (3 days) 66,443 (10 days) Didn't rank in week 3, sold less than 16,686 copies
Volume 29: 36,507 copies (3 days) 67,856 (10 days) Didn't rank in week 3, sold less than 16,979 copies
Volume 30: 57,463 copies (7 days) Didn't rank in week 2, sold less than 24,689 copies
(Anime starts)
Volume 31: 72,973 copies (6 days) 94,711 (13 days) Didn't rank in week 3, sold less than 17,402 copies
Volume 32: 28,424 copies (2 days) 86,105 (9 days) Didn't rank in week 3, sold less than 20,374 copies
Volume 33: 86,953 copies (7 days) 109,537 (14 days) Didn't rank in week 3, sold less than 19,021 copies

You're right, it did get a reasonable boost. You can clearly see the boost by comparing Volume 30 and 33.

Now let's see for Rinne:
Kyoukai no Rinne:
Volume 21: Failed to rank in week 1 (3 days), sold less than 22,068 copies
Volume 22: 25,413 copies (7 days) Failed to rank in second week, sold less than 20,374 copies
Volume 23: Failed to rank in week 1 (6 days) sold less than 20,427 copies
Volume 24: 23,618 copies (5 days) Failed to rank in second week, sold less than 27,990 copies
(Anime starts)
Volume 25: Failed to rank in week 1 (3 days), sold less than 18,438 copies (NOTE: This volume came out right after the anime started)
Volume 26: Failed to rank in week 1 (3 days), sold less than 21,007 copies

Not much of a boost, at least, not something I can see. Hmm. Either way, good news. Rinne is not something I'd be dying to watch but it's a nice comfy show which helps me to relax. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:

This is a show that airs in the afternoons in Japan, not a late night anime. It's meant to be for kids and families, so disc sales aren't where the money is. Instead, it's ratings and advertising that make or break.

NHK is like the BBC. NHK footmen show up at your door and demand that ya pay your NHK fee.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
Yes! I was convinced it was all over intil last week.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
I can confirm the lack of advertising in "Rinne." There are eyecatches, but nothing in between them, and the first commercial after the show is always for "Baby Steps," which is also on NHK.

Check out this link for an idea of the kind of anime NHK shows. Seeing some of the titles mixed in there ("12 Kingdoms," "Dennou Coil," "Moribito," "Planetes," "Bakuman," "Hyouge-mono," "Log Horizon," etc) makes me glad they're still providing a home for anime that doesn't rely on the late night infomercial model. There's a lot of kid stuff, but also some very ambitious shows sprinkled throughout.

NHK anime also tend to get rerun occasionally, which hardly ever happens with other shows (excluding pay cable specialty channels).

Back to "Rinne," it's not a favorite, but I usually get a good laugh at least once an episode, so I'm glad to hear they're making more. I don't expect anything of consequence to ever happen in it, but it's found its groove at this point and is a nice show to unwind with.
valoon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
This makes me so happy!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
NHK anime also tend to get rerun occasionally, which hardly ever happens with other shows (excluding pay cable specialty channels).

Anime repeats are common here. Before the advent of streaming you might have to borrow someone's VHS or wait months before the next airing of an episode or do the slow process of downloading it.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Hmmm nah I'm gonna stop watching this after season 1. It's too repetitive and I am getting sick of it. No desire left in me to see more.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
After all the speculation that Rumiko might be ending it, and that InuYasha had dried her up for good (which is why RN is also a repetitive IY clone), I confess my reaction is, "Ohh, it's coming back....Let's kill it. Very Happy "
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3