• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 10% in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, 2014 was one of my weak years when I look at my ratings and there isn't nearly as many titles from that year that I would want to own as there usually are. Confused
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally. Some good news on the industry.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, these reports include sales of foreign animated materials within Japan. So revenues from, e.g., Frozen, are included here along with sales of domestically-produced anime. In these data for 2015, the top two revenue generators are Big Hero 6 and Frozen. Blu-ray sales for those two items alone grossed about 390 million yen in the first half of this year. Three other Disney entries, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, and Planes, added another 75 million yen.

The first Japanese entry on the list is Love Live! season two, volume seven, which ranked third. It grossed about 70 million yen in BR sales.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
As far as I can tell, these reports include sales of foreign animated materials within Japan. So revenues from, e.g., Frozen, are included here along with sales of domestically-produced anime. In these data for 2015, the top two revenue generators are Big Hero 6 and Frozen. Blu-ray sales for those two items alone grossed about 390 million yen in the first half of this year. Three other Disney entries, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, and Planes, added another 75 million yen.

The first Japanese entry on the list is Love Live! season two, volume seven, which ranked third. It grossed about 70 million yen in BR sales.

You're confusing Oricon with this!
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
As far as I can tell, these reports include sales of foreign animated materials within Japan. So revenues from, e.g., Frozen, are included here along with sales of domestically-produced anime.

Disney, saving anime! They should really dub Star vs the Forces of Evil and put it on Japanese TV. Best magical girl animation of the year.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Well that good but hoping with this new they wont over do it burst the bubble
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
It would be nice to know where the numbers come from (category), as well as where it comes from (country). The most important market for the anime industry is Japan, so knowing the sales in Japan for the different categories would be nice, as well as what % of the total income comes from merchandise, anime itself, events, etc.

Otherwise... it doesn't tell us anything

I'd assume that the report that goes on sale in September, would more than likely, hold the answers you seek.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime Ltd.'s Andrew Partridge said at a convention recently that China has been in a bubble, and was paying more than the rest of the world combined for the rights to shows, until earlier this year/late last year when their government banned several big shows, forcibly popping the bubble and making prices plummet.

I imagine the figure will be in for a big slump next year, if China is what has been propping it up.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's not like it would cause me to go into a depressive state, but I'd like to see what another bubble burst does to anime. Should it crash and become unbelievably awful to where almost nothing is watchable, I still have hundreds of past shows to catch up on, but the law of averages states that I'd still be following at least A FEW shows per season no matter what because I'm not that picky. Though I really just cannot envision a situation where we'd go from something like 35-40 shows (not counting kid series or never-ending ones) a season to something like under 20 or 15. A drop like that would be wild.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
With this increase of the anime industry's market value, I think the naysayers can put their fears of it collapsing to rest now.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
As far as I can tell, these reports include sales of foreign animated materials within Japan. So revenues from, e.g., Frozen, are included here along with sales of domestically-produced anime.

Disney, saving anime! They should really dub Star vs the Forces of Evil and put it on Japanese TV. Best magical girl animation of the year.

Good grief I hope not. I hadn't heard of this show but after a brief purveying of random youtube videos on it, the show is flat out disgusting and creepy.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
noobster wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Can we get some comments from the "the industry is dying in Japan because of moe anime and otaku pandering" people?

They can't because these "otaku pandering people" are their primary customers.

Exactly. Anime may not be financially dead, but it's creatively dying. Plenty of harem light novel adaptions recently that otaku eat up. But few original ideas end up with any success. For example, I don't think I remember seeing Terror in Resonance on the blu ray sales chart articles ever. That might have been back when those lists were only the Top 10, but still.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Can we get some comments from the "the industry is dying in Japan because of moe anime and otaku pandering" people?

On a related note, I hope this means that China can influence what anime gets a second second, because the Japanese don't like Rokka no Yuusha very much, but the Chinese love it. And I want more Rokka no Yuusha anime.

No, no, no. What you need is to bookmark this article to use as evidence when one of them rears their head. (^o^)
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

On a related note, I hope this means that China can influence what anime gets a second second, because the Japanese don't like Rokka no Yuusha very much, but the Chinese love it. And I want more Rokka no Yuusha anime.

No, no, no. What you need is to bookmark this article to use as evidence when one of them rears their head. (Anime exclamation)
Ironically, that person is only above.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Exactly. Anime may not be financially dead, but it's creatively dying. Plenty of harem light novel adaptions recently that otaku eat up. But few original ideas end up with any success. For example, I don't think I remember seeing Terror in Resonance on the blu ray sales chart articles ever. That might have been back when those lists were only the Top 10, but still.

Terror in Resonance was widely perceived to be a complete trainwreck. Maybe that's why it didn't sell very well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4