• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils Gangsta. Broadcast Dub Cast, Preview Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I wonder why they left the subtitles in Japanese.

They're probably hard-coded into the video. Will probably be the same for the physical release if the Japanese licensor doesn't have a clean version.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
That sounded fantastic.

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Alright, that was pretty good! Like others, I think Nick sounds a little too coherent, but otherwise that was spot-on. Would have liked to hear a bit of Alex's voice, though.... In any case, this should be good; Gangsta. has always struck me as the kind of show for which an English dub would really work.

Yeah, that's why I've been looking forward to it too. it should potentially be great in both dub and sub. Agreed, it would have been nice to hear a sample of Alex too.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pleinair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
That was awful.
Just watch the Original, it's beautiful.
Please, I'm begging y'all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Typical response we have on how hearing the clip of something warrants the "Japanese good, English bad" comment. Just once, I would love to an overwhelming majority of the opposite here.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't like dubs on principle, but this clip looks like they put a lot of effort into it. I know two deaf-mutes myself, and the way they dubbed Nick sounds very much like how a deaf-mute talks. Well done.

What do you mean by principal?

I can't speak for him, but for me, I always strive to watch shows in their original language.
GaryDAI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

It sounded fine to me. What was so awful about it?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Too late; I already watched the episode in English. And I ENJOYED IT! OH, THE HUMANITY! Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
Seems pretty decent. I'll be checking this dub out for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

You're trolling, right? lol

If not, you're probably one of those people that think all English VA's suck and Japanese VA's are gods. lol Laughing
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
They are contracted by the Japanese company to show it only in NA.so if you live outside NA,you're out of luck.that's just the way it is.

Except, a version of the first episode clearly sourced from FUNimation, just popped up on Daisuki in the UK, despite somebody else having UK rights...

Either FUNi has more than North American rights, and Anime Ltd. only sub-licensed them or somebody's in some trouble at Daisuki.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Joe anime wrote:
They are contracted by the Japanese company to show it only in NA.so if you live outside NA,you're out of luck.that's just the way it is.

Except, a version of the first episode clearly sourced from FUNimation, just popped up on Daisuki in the UK, despite somebody else having UK rights...

Either FUNi has more than North American rights, and Anime Ltd. only sub-licensed them or somebody's in some trouble at Daisuki.

They likely subliscence, that's how they do One Piece dubs. But Funi can on;y make trailers available from them in NA, Daisuki has to do it for UK
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
They likely subliscence, that's how they do One Piece dubs. But Funi can on;y make trailers available from them in NA, Daisuki has to do it for UK

Yes, but the Daisuki delaycast clearly came from FUNimation, as it has the FUNi logo and typset, but Anime Ltd. are already simulcasting the show at Viewster and haven't mentioned the Daisuki delaycast.

So assuming it's not a mistake at Daisuki's end, FUNimation retained some streaming rights for the series in the UK, so could make the trailer available. Also, it's only a bloody trailer, I doubt anybody at either Bandai Visual or anybody else that's licenced the show is going to C&D them over it...
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Sorry but I'm not Japanese nor speak Japanese, with all respect to the Japanese VA's I personally couldn't care less how good/bad they are as I infinitely enjoy watching anime/playing more when I am able to understand whats being said and use all senses when watching. Plus I greatly enjoy Funimation's, Sentai's etc... dubs.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:

I do wish we'd gotten a scene where Alex talks. And what's with "Chadster"? In Japanese it's just "Chad-san". (Well, "Chado", but that's more pronunciation than a nickname.) I'm fine with ditching the honorifics, I just wonder why they'd throw in nicknames instead.

Dubs never have honorifics because we don't use them in English. Only in rare cases like in Ouran (with the word senpai) where it works. I don't like when they add nicknames or phrases like that either but in this case I agree with the other person that it was probably used in another scene to fit lip movements (you can't see his mouth in this scene so maybe it was used to keep it consistent). It sort of fits with Worrick's personality so it's not too bad.

I found Worrick's voice a little high but I can get used to it. It's rare for me to actually like Funi's dubs for a serious show so I plan to check this out. I agree with most that Potter was a bit too coherent though. Like he actually practices a lot which didn't look like the case (I'm behind on like two eps).
Pleinair

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Oookay, just gonna lump these all together since some actually asked, which I didn't expect. I expect harshness, shaming, and dismissal and I got that. But I will be fair and say I was harsh and dismissive of this dub, and my opinions have not changed.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Typical response we have on how hearing the clip of something warrants the "Japanese good, English bad" comment. Just once, I would love to an overwhelming majority of the opposite here.

That's strange, all I ever see are the vehement and excessive support for dubs, in this whole thread I'm the only opposer, which is normal and fine. Even another sub fan here said they liked it.

GaryDAI wrote:
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

It sounded fine to me. What was so awful about it?

Perhaps it was the way it sounded...silly to me (a normal, if somewhat painful side effect of dubbing into English). And I guess I thought Nic should sound less....Ladd. It's not like he's insane (He is a bit, but it's different I think), just damaged maybe. I'm still working through the Manga and the show as it airs, so we'll see on that. I just really didn't like the way they sounded. Chad sounded Okay I suppose, but I have less invested interest in that character.

Raebo101 wrote:
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Too late; I already watched the episode in English. And I ENJOYED IT! OH, THE HUMANITY! Rolling Eyes

Haha That is your prerogative, I suppose. I was upset at first posting, and am sad at so so many that will never hear the original, but to each their own I guess.
I will try and be happy that it will get some more attention.

endallchaos wrote:
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

You're trolling, right? lol

If not, you're probably one of those people that think all English VA's suck and Japanese VA's are gods. lol Laughing

I am very much not trolling, nor a troll. The dub bothered me enough to post about it, as did the Ouran, and the Free! Eternal Summer almost did, but that was a losing battle I didn't care about enough. I post almost never.
I am not a fan of many dubs, but I do like some so it is a case by case basis.
Also, I have no stake in the Japanese VA's, don't know their names or previous works unless a friend (who is a fan of them) tells me and even then my response is "...Cool." So it just has to do with how it sounds to me.
I am a bit tired of some of Funi's actors, finding their voices in everything is tedious, but they can pull off a decent work at times. This just doesn't seem like one of them.

DuchessBianca wrote:
Pleinair wrote:
That was awful.

Sorry but I'm not Japanese nor speak Japanese, with all respect to the Japanese VA's I personally couldn't care less how good/bad they are as I infinitely enjoy watching anime/playing more when I am able to understand whats being said and use all senses when watching. Plus I greatly enjoy Funimation's, Sentai's etc... dubs.

I am not Japanese nor am I great at the language (I rely on subs almost 100%!) but I also don't have an opinion on the Japanese VA's skill level, and I do love to play Video Games in English! It is much more immersive. But anime, this anime, I like in it's original, along with some others.

Hopefully, this will cover my ground and spark NOTHING, and I withdraw my plea, but I would ask, if you end up liking the show, give the Japanese a chance, it is a great great show (so far).
Also, support the Manga! (My real passion lies there anyway.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3