• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death Note (Drama)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the Death Note ship sailed when they started making those live-action movies. They were alright, but didn't capture the spirit of the manga anywhere close to what the anime did.

And with the Death Note story in general, I think that it grinds to a halt after a certain event which most people already know about. The characters in the second half simply aren't as interesting. I suppose that the ending though makes up for it.

Honestly, these companies need to realize when enough is enough. Stop milking a franchise forever into oblivion when the story is clearly done. Cowboy Bebop for example had 26 episodes, a movie, some manga, and that was it. Don't overdo a good thing.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
I thought that the Death Note ship sailed when they started making those live-action movies. They were alright, but didn't capture the spirit of the manga anywhere close to what the anime did.

The live action movies actually pre-date the anime. (Or at least the first one does. The second one came out in Japanese cinemas between episodes 4 and 5 of the anime.)

As for the new series... I'm interested in checking this out. Not getting Crunchyroll premium for it though, so I guess I'll be waiting until next week. The fact that it seems to be going a different direction from previous versions should hopefully make it an interesting ride?
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is only recognized by hardcore anime fans in Japan. I think Death Note is fairly well known among non-anime fans.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
(only on Ep. 8 for AoT, so perhaps it will improve…) .

It Doesn't.

Sam Murai wrote:

That is not to say that Araki is a poor director, it's just that the story or script needs to be at least a solid level or beyond, as well, in order for the whole series to work. I'm still not sure if this is a flaw in his approach or just a byproduct of his style, and it seems to have a greater effect on his works than, say, Akiyuki Shimbo (another distinctive director whose works can similarly suffer from middling writing).

I think that more illustrates that, at least with TV anime, directors often don't have much control over what they're directing. At this point Shinbone is just a name & a style SHAFT stick on any crap they get their hands on as a way of conning people into thinking it will be another Monogatari/Zetsubou Sensei/Madoka, imo.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
I never read the manga, but I watched bits and pieces of the anime on [adult swim] and it never really interested me. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it, either. Then I watched the movies, and I loved the movies (especially WHERE the movies end). Since I have no problem watching tokusatsu, and I enjoyed the first episode of Bloody Monday (gotta go back and finish that one), I figured I'd give this a shot.

It bored me to tears. While my roommate and I were supposedly "watching" it, she got caught up on all of the news sites she browses, and I got through quite a bit of story in Tales of the Abyss. We didn't want to give it up without at least a full episode, but we were both relieved when it was over.

I think part of it was the characters not coming across as interesting (Misa was the only one who felt any sort of "realness" to her), and the fact that, while throwing in a lot of stuff, it seemed to meander around and not actually go anywhere.

Needless to say, we won't be watching any more of it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
I stopped reading the review when the plot started being told (the misa misa mention), not ebcause I ahve anything against the review itself, but because the chagnes sound big enough that I have to watch it before getting spoiled.

It's a daily streaming review and I've always been under the impression I'm allowed to give away the plot details in streaming reviews. If the editors say I'm wrong, okay, but I'm particularly not sure what I would talk about with these reviews without doing that. Most of the audience for this show is Death Note fans whose main concern would be how the j-drama changes the story.

[Edited this post a little because I think I might've misinterpreted things first time around. I'm kinda sleepy right now.]

ah, I did not imply otherwise, spoiling the plot is perfectly acceptable, it's just that in this case I would read a review without even watching the show because it was sagfe to assume it would somehow be clsoe to teh manga as other drama adaptations are; but when I read the sentence before mentioned I noticed it was going to be a completely different beast so I'd rather read the review after watching. Smile
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Light's actor, Masataka Kubota, lacks the charisma Mamoru Miyano or Brad Swaile brought to the anime.

Fixed That For You! Razz
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
Light's actor, Masataka Kubota, lacks the charisma Mamoru Miyano or Brad Swaile brought to the anime.

Fixed That For You! Razz

All I want to know is spoiler[if Kubota can do "the laugh" in the final episode…] Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BWLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Death Note was one of the first anime I watched, or well one of the first that I registered as being anime (as in one of the ones they didn't Americanize for the western audience). Like a lot of those early anime I was really into Death Note until I was exposed to more genre fiction, and then I realized that it was just kind of ok. When I heard they were making this I just thought this was just going to be another half-ass cash grabs, but this review made me want to check it out, and I really liked it.

One of my issues revisiting Death Note (apart from the gross gender stuff) was that Light was just a really dull character. I ended up really liking this new Light. I just really like all this new emotion and inner conflict that anime-Light never had.

I agree with Bridges in that new-L isn't as interesting as anime-L, but I think that the changes were necessary, and this series is better for it.
Like many other TV shows of its kind (see Hannibal) the main draw of Death Note was the dynamics and the relationship between the "hero" and "villain"/co-protagonists/leads. New-Light needed a different L from the anime. So, I don't like new-L as much as I liked anime-L, but prefer the dynamics between these new versions of Light and L. The scene where L baits Light through the tv is a good example.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

Fixed That For You! Razz

I completely agree with you there! Very Happy I didn't mention it because I didn't think the English dub was relevant to that discussion, of a Japanese live-action series' adaptive choices. They'd be basing it on comparison with the Japanese dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about the changes, but I feel like it's bad of me to dislike that they're trying to humanize Light. I liked in the Walking Dead TV Show that the Governor had more humanity to him than the comic book version after all.

Light's best friend, this seems like a bit of a strange inclusion, but I tolerate it for now.

Light using the Death Note to save his friend from a petty crook/glorified bully instead of killing a man who is holding a Kindergarten hostage is iffier. On one hand, it's better for humanizing Light because he's doing it to help his friend, but on the other, it makes it kind of petty and strange that a genius like Light would do this instead of solving the problem in his own way.

My single huge problem with this setup is that Light didn't want to do this. Ryuk said that if he didn't the Death Note would go to someone worse. Ryuk is forcing Light into this rather than dropping the book and having Light pretty much make his own decisions. Because of that, Light is... too tragic. I don't see how they're gonna make him into the villain protagonist we all love.

On the acting side, while I thought the actors all did fine, the casting is strange in two ways. This'll sound funny, but on one hand, L is too attractive and Light is too plain. L isn't supposed to be hideous or anything, but he's supposed to look like a recluse and... he doesn't. Light is supposed to be handsome and charismatic, but I don't see that here. I don't see how Misa would fall for him at first sight (or will they change that too?).
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Light is supposed to be handsome and charismatic, but I don't see that here. I don't see how Misa would fall for him at first sight (or will they change that too?).

Well, he also killed the person who killed her parents. That would probably add a lot to his appeal for her. Very Happy
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
So... after one episode I had no idea what they were doing, but figured sure, okay.

But... WHAT?

Ryuk getting involved with the Misa-Misa thing I can forgive solely for Ryuk twerking.

I don't even know what the hell I just watched happen with telenovela villain not-Raye Penber, though. How do they even come back from this?

Choosing to ignore L talking to Near and Whatever. I usually ignore Near in the anime anyways. All that stuff seriously feels like one of those Nickelodeon kid detective shows at this point. Like maybe they'll all team up and go have wacky adventures after this. L drinking juice boxes and watching stupid comedy tv shows? Stop it.

While I was watching this, I was thinking "this feels like someone's shitty Death Note fanfic," and then I realized it literally IS someone's shitty Death Note fanfic, so I paused it, got a beer, and chilled back for the rest. Laughing
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Having watched the Live-Action version of Sailor Moon going into it thinking it was going to be an abomination, but being pleasantly surprised with a decent alternate take on the story, I'm willing to see what this show has in store.

I don't mind changes to story, if they can make it work (Again, almost everything Sailor Moon outside of Crystal pretty much) so I'm willing to see where it goes, I'm liking it so far so that's a good start.

BTW, another change that went unmentioned is that the Kira Investigation Team had a lady detective (who's name I forgot) in place of the memorable Ukita, who everyone remembered, because he was memorable.

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Honestly, these companies need to realize when enough is enough. Stop milking a franchise forever into oblivion when the story is clearly done. Cowboy Bebop for example had 26 episodes, a movie, some manga, and that was it. Don't overdo a good thing.

Of all the franchises, especially JUMP franchises, Death Note is the one you think they're overdoing?
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad start to death note I should say. As for the episode itself I echo everybody else's sentiments on how different this death note is to what I saw on adult swim and I do think it's different in it's own way. As for the characters themselves I'll have to go back to the anime and compare how L, Kira, Misa and the rest act as opposed to their RL counterparts but like I said it's nice to see something new and different once in a while.

I do have a question for any of the mods including Zac if you're able to do reviews for live action death note and the upcoming Attack on Titan movie would you guys consider doing reviews on Tokusatsu shows such as super sentai and kamen rider it's be kinda nice to see more diversity in your reviews and I'd gladly read and enjoy what is you're opinion on the series in a weekly review. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4