• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Master's Mother Isn't Very Impressed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
We're probably not gonna expect a similar response by Delia should Ash get to fulfill the aim to be a Pokemon Master.

If anything, it's been ages since Ash last visited his mother...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Mum know's best. Really it's time to grow up, stop playing with kids toys and games and become a contributing to society adult. You can always go back to playing with kids toys and games when you live long enough to retire and become senial. It's working for me. Wink Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well, then I wonder what a maternal remark to the winner of a Yu-Gi-Oh! Word Championship would like! The mom does have a point in that is important in getting a job. However, it also is dependent on the kid's age.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
We're probably not gonna expect a similar response by Delia should Ash get to fulfill the aim to be a Pokemon Master.
Except in the Pokemon World, you win money for winning battles.

Heck, Brock and co needed buy to buy Ash and co food somehow... Anime hyper
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Typical. I'm 26 and my mom hates it that I still play Pokemon.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mum know's best. Really it's time to grow up, stop playing with kids toys and games and become a contributing to society adult. You can always go back to playing with kids toys and games when you live long enough to retire and become senial. It's working for me. Wink Laughing

I'm well into responsible adulthood, and I STILL enviously follow the news stories of the International Monopoly Tournament. (Of which the US semi-finals are played aboard an Amtrak train on the Pennsylvania Railroad.)
There's "playing", and there's being adult and savvy enough to follow strategy and get some prize money back thanks to all that acquired acumen that's given one an advantage in situation-thinking all those years.
Problem is, you have to play an official-rules game (no Free Parking!) with four to six people refereed with official paperwork forms to first qualify for tournament ladders, and I can never find one anywhere I look. Sad

Don't buy into the scapegoat-frustrated Japanese hive-mind:
Real people have games and lives too.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Lol he got shutdown hard. No prize money for winning?
Foxaika

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

That sounds like the progression is enjoyable youth-->mundane adulthood-->become senile and realize what you enjoyed before was best. Haha
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Don't joke around, sir. You expect me to 360 no scope people while in a wheelchair with reading glasses? Hell no! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

If one can make a living and pay the bills by being a professional gamer, Good on'em I say. But is there a professional Pokemon game that has cash prizes like that? I've never heard of it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

If one can make a living and pay the bills by being a professional gamer, Good on'em I say. But is there a professional Pokemon game that has cash prizes like that? I've never heard of it.

Where did it say he was pursuing it as a profession?
He had the spare time, and he obviously had the skills; it's not like he had to take time off from work to pursue some "pointless" private-hobby tournament.

(C'mon, people, we know Japan's a bit messed up at the moment about people's spare time hobbies, but let's not let their neuroses become OURS.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
That reminds us, do ya guys know that giant sports network ESPN just recently broadcasted an e-sports national college tournament on TV, the Heroes of the Dorm finals? Smile

'Heroes of the Dorm' on ESPN proves eSports are meant for TV

ESPN Airs Video Games, Twitter Freaks Out

First esports tournament on ESPN baffles its regular viewers

Heroes of the Dorm finishes strong on ESPN

The prize?
Tuition for the rest of the winning team's college career.
That's a prize mom and dad would be proud of! Laughing

(BTW, the winning team: Univ of California - Berkeley over Arizona State Univ. That's expensive tuition.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Typical. I'm 26 and my mom hates it that I still play Pokemon.

Just remind mom what's going to happen when she gets too old to care for herself she'll stop riding you then......probably.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Just remind mom what's going to happen when she gets too old to care for herself she'll stop riding you then......probably.
Really, threatening her with elder neglect? She should have drowned you at birth. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
official-rules game (no Free Parking!)
I remember when I actually read a rule booklet and discovered that("What do you mean 'Free Parking' means 'Free Parking' and there's no pot?"). It's probably the only game I know of that warns against house rules with specific examples and reminders that, no, that's a house rule and these are the official rules and always have been at the relevant spots.

But then, how often do people read the rulebook except to remember how many of each bill everybody starts off with?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3