• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika Screening in LA This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugmenot
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Someone's selling a hand drawn picture by Satoshi Kon on eBay. It's painted on a catalogue from some spanish film festival. It seems Satoshi was one of the special guests.

It's around 12 bucks now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320052739084
The Spatula

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Woah, an opening that's actually only a couple miles away from where I live. Cool. Very Happy

I'm down for meeting up with any of the cool people here at ANN. I could do Thursday and/or Saturday. I'm probably going to take the bus up from where I live since it's cheaper than parking, unless anyone wants to carpool from my place - PM or email me if you're interested.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:

[list][*]If you have seen any of Satoshi Kon's work, you owe it to yourself to see more. He will not disappoint. (Unlike a certain other high-profile anime director who had a movie come out last year. *coughhowlsmovingcastlecough*) Wink
To be fair, Miyazaki-san has directed 8 movies for Studio Ghibli, 1 Lupin III film, and 1 TV series, whereas Kon-san has only directed 4 films and 1 TV series. While I'm sure he won't disappoint with Paprika, it's a little unfair to compare Kon-san, who's still a relatively new director, to Miyazaki-san, who has been directing films for many years now. And even when he's at his worst, Howl's Moving Castle still manages to be highly entertaining, even if it's not perfect. I say wait till Kon-san gets to his 8th film before you pass judgment on which director has a better track record. In any case, I'm glad Paprika will be screening in LA so it can be nominated for an Oscar now. I know it'll be a long shot for it, but it'd be great if it were to win an Oscar. Having two anime films win an Oscar, one a classic family film and another a psychological adult film that breaks the stereotypical image of anime would really help people start to take notice in anime. It would at least hopefully help people to get over this stereotypical image that all anime is childish commercialized cartoons. But I'm confused. Is Paprika being licensed by an American company or is the Japanese company distributing the film themselves?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
konohamaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Quote:
If you have seen any of Satoshi Kon's work, you owe it to yourself to see more. He will not disapoint. (Unlike a certain other high-profile anime director who had a movie come out last year. *coughhowlsmovingcastlecough*) Wink

I can not think of any film I have been this anxious to see.
Kon's works never fail to leave me awestruck. It would be wonderful to see this film get Oscar-push kind of exposure in the U.S.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who was a little "disapointed" in Howl's Moving Castle. Anime cry
Rakushun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
To all Los Angeles anime fans:

As someone who has already seen Paprika (at the Hawaii International Film Festival last month), I have the following advice to give:

(I also relay a bit of advice from the director himself: Don't try to analyze what you're watching while you're still in the theater. Doing so will only ruin the experience.)

As another fan who saw Paprika in Hawaii, I also advise everyone in the LA area who loves anime OR movies to see it. It will not disappoint either group.

I agree that it should be enjoyed first, but that doesn't mean it can't be analyzed later. The incredible art and creative sequences are really enhanced by CGI. The camera perspective moves freely and does things that most anime couldn't do until now. An anime lover would pick these up right away.

A movie lover might love Paprika for different reasons. For starters, it references a number of classic movies. Camera motion allows Kon to leap between completely different scenes without getting lost, and a lot of the movie seems aware of perspective. The movie also blends at least two stories, Atusko/Paprika's and the detective's, and carries both to a satisfying conclusion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Kouji: Technically, Sony's an international company which has roots in Japan.
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I assume I'll be going on saturday, as I work every other morning (why couldn't it be in the evening? 10am is so inconvient) and I actually do have saturday off, for the first time in months. Yay.

I'm probably going on Saturday morning as well, since I'll be shopping and/or hungover on Friday. Wheeee Paprika!
JRR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
hee, im new here.. first post.
I LOVE Kon´s work. I wish I could see Paprika.. However it looks like ill have to wait till it comes out in the cinemas next year (I live in Europe.. Sad)
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
I was planning to see this sometime before Sunday, so seeing it with fellow ANNers on Saturday morning might be fun. I was just going to use whatever parking is available, since downtown driving makes me crazy and I want to end the painful experience as soon as possible. Too bad it's so soon from now and L.A. is so freakin' big, or else some kind of car pool to save $$$ could be arranged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'am jealous of most of y'all. I sure hope this one will come out on limited realese nationwide. I really want to be able to see this in a theater. In fact it would be a shame to miss it in one! Surprised

As far as an Oscar, I don't think it will happen, but it would be nice. Even though I haven't seen it, if it holds up to everyone elses reviews, I would be surprised if it doesn't get nominated. But I won't hold my breath either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Don't feel too bad. The theater it's playing in is out-of-the-way and kinda ghetto. It's like the rest of L.A.: good exteriors to hide a
mediocre interior.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
One additional piece of advice: The big "official" website is up (in Japanese), linked off the Sony Pictures JP website in the encyclopedia. RESIST THE URGE TO VISIT UNTIL AFTER YOU SEE IT. It has, looping in the background, the highly intoxicating main theme song from Susumu Hirasawa. Hearing it beforehand will remove some of its impact. And it's a BIG impact. You will want this after the movie, if only to relive it.

The Paprika OST came out in Japan today, so it's not the only option anymore if you have the cash to spare (or can drop a hint to the right person on what you want for Christmas.) Wink

Kouji wrote:
To be fair, Miyazaki-san has directed 8 movies for Studio Ghibli, 1 Lupin III film, and 1 TV series, whereas Kon-san has only directed 4 films and 1 TV series. While I'm sure he won't disappoint with Paprika, it's a little unfair to compare Kon-san, who's still a relatively new director, to Miyazaki-san, who has been directing films for many years now. And even when he's at his worst, Howl's Moving Castle still manages to be highly entertaining, even if it's not perfect. I say wait till Kon-san gets to his 8th film before you pass judgment on which director has a better track record.

True, Miyazaki has been directing movies far longer than Kon has, but I still reserve the right to mention that the most recent movie by the most famous anime director in the industry wasn't quite up to his par. Twisted Evil

(To be completely honest, I do prefer Kon's work over Miyazaki's work.) Very Happy
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread or not, but I'll be there tomorrow (sat), and I definitely look forward to meeting fellow ANN members. Smile

I'll be the short hobbity one with the massively curly hair and Furuba bag. See you then!
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably see it tomorrow (sat) as well. Let's hope I don't get lost though...
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Plans changed for me; I won't be able to make it until Sunday. Sad Oh well, I'm sure there'll be plenty more anime screenings in LA in the future. (BTW, if anyone else goes on Sunday, I always carry around a little black Lain bag so you can recognize me that way.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4