• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Disappearance of Nagato Yuki chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The plot faults of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan cannot be laid at the feet of the anime producers. They are following the plot outline of the original manga fairly closely. The pattern of getting close to conflict then retreating quickly back to status quo was established there and the anime producers would run the risk of disturbing fans of the manga if they strayed too much from its plotline.

IMHO, Haruhi is fast becoming the most likable character in the show, or in any case, the most normal. She has two male friends who are special to her, but neither a romantic interest, so she gives each one the same "courtesy chocolate" to show that she cares. Why shouldn't she? If she did anything wrong w/r/t super-moe Yuki, it was bad timing. She immediately goes on the "make Yuki feel better" quest, even if she felt she did nothing wrong, because it was the right thing to do. And who implicitly criticises Kyon for giving both her and Yuki the same White Day gift, even tho it was obvious that Yuki's handmade gift was the one with deeper emotional commitment. Can we really say that she is being horribly self-centered?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I'm so sorry for the rant guys/gals.

I've seen worse. Some good points there but I am enjoying this apparently much more than you are.
Ep 5 review wrote:
Kyon falls into Nagato's boobs,

And then apparently falls unconscious and just lays there for a full minute it would take for Asakura to run down from upstairs. And needs to be pulled upright. Seriously, who gets knocked out from just falling forward on top of a soft girl? This is just another overused little rom-com plot devices I would put this near the top of my ever-growing list of those I could live without.

Interesting that Haruhi (And Koizumi) doesn't seem to have any problem anymore moving around North High in her native uniform. And was that ever such a big deal in the first place? I would think they would grant a standing visitors pass for a guest of the Literature club if they applied for one.

The high point of this episode to me is that Nagato's explanation of herself as to why she ran off actually made reasonable sense.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Interesting that Haruhi (And Koizumi) doesn't seem to have any problem anymore moving around North High in her native uniform. And was that ever such a big deal in the first place? I would think they would grant a standing visitors pass for a guest of the Literature club if they applied for one.

Funnily enough, that should be getting addressed right at the start of episode 6. (Episode 5 covered chapters 13-15 and the way Haruhi and Koizumi loiter around North High is addressed at the start of chapter 16.)
me_barron

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Just thought of something. Maybe the show is supposed to suck with Yuki in the lead. Maybe it's supposed to be so boring and paint-by-numbers on purpose. This way, Yuki learns that she isn't leading woman material, and Haruhi can take back her rightful place as the lead. This would make sense, right? Otherwise, we're just stuck with another show pulling a Sailor Moon Chrystal.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
I went on the hunt for scanlations so I could see what the future holds for this show, I'm looking forward to the 'disappearance' arc as it should make 'melancholy' fans a bit happier. Couldn't find anywhere that translated chapters after 41 though.

It is a shame that the anime is forced to follow the manga though, it really is stuck having to use all the tried and tested cliches that the manga pulls out pretty much every chapter.

The biggest problem it has is that it is up against Oremonogatari which is doing everything that this show really needs to be doing itself.

Nagato just isn't taking the risks its parent show did and I'm afraid it'll just get lost in the midst of mediocrity.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
ParaSitius wrote:
Couldn't find anywhere that translated chapters after 41 though.

Yen Press have officially released the first 7 volumes. That's 57 chapters. (Volume 8, which covers through chapter 63, was released in Japan just before the anime started.)
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:
I'm so sorry for the rant guys/gals.

I've seen worse. Some good points there but I am enjoying this apparently much more than you are.

Funny thing is that I actually really enjoy the show when Haruhi is allowed to go all out. I don't hate the show but do feel that if Haruhi were the main character (or even Ms. Asahina) it'd make for a far more enjoyable experience.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Funny thing is that I actually really enjoy the show when Haruhi is allowed to go all out.

Actually I think this anime might as well be titled "The Restraint of Haruhi Suzumiya" or something like that.

What I have to wonder is what watching this would be like for someone was hasn't seen or is not even familiar with the original MoHS. It would like like a kinda-ok run of the mill rom-com and nothing more.

However for the rest of us you can't watch without constantly running a mental comparison between this Kyon and that Kyon, this Asahina and that Asahina and et cetera through all of them but most of all this Haruhi and that Haruhi.

So:

Yuki: as I wrote before, Nagato Yuki has disappeared. There is nothing in the present character that is the same except a passing resemblance. What you are waiting for is this character to explode -- for those galaxies deep eyes to open and shift the universe to a completely different (original?) structure. I can't say thats a-gonna happen but what if it did?

Kyon: Do you like him better now without the hang-dog attitude about everything?

Asakura: She sure takes good care of Yuki but why? And will she ever turn lethal again?

Haruhi: Yep, she is still an oddball but apparently a much softer and self-aware oddball. Keep in mind there are hordes of anti-fans around who hated her original character and were/are pretty clear about why. But that ruthless self-centeredness seems to be missing now and she actually can interact with people in more or less a normal way. What would the Haruhi haters think of her now? I find it odd that she hangs out at North High these days is her home campus really that unappealing? As with Yuki we are wondering if she will ever explode into something closer to what she was, but what we have has a quality of presence that is arguably better than what it was.

So I find plenty of reasons to watch this.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
@Chichiryuutei

The anime really seems to being playing up the Haruhi/Kyon dynamic; that's the only possible explanation I can think of as to why the hell they completely rewrote the John Smith scene to have Kyon be an out-of-character loon. I never really got the impression from the same scenes in the manga that she had much of a crush on him.

Also, remember that Mikuru and and Kyon have had a run-in in the past; do you have a reason why she'd start liking Kyon now after not doing so for so long?

@HaruhiToy:

The manga was always open about being based on the Nagato from the Disappearance universe, so going in expecting Nagato Classic was a case of mistaken expectations.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
loving these negative reviews!
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
You know something is wrong when Haruhi is the best part about the show.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 review wrote:
Some Christmas directions are still up in the club, which is a nice detail.

Surely that should read "Christmas decorations"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode #6:

I liked this Episode; it had good flow, some funny moments (Asahina Mikuru's and Kyon's first meeting was smile-worthy, at the very least, IMO), and important character development (Go, Nagato Yuki, go!).

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat May 09, 2015 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 review wrote:
Rating: D

Dude. A little harsh there.

Perhaps it was just that my expectations were more in line with what they intended but I found myself mildly entertained by this episode. I will admit that it wasn't great, but it was at least on par with any episode of well-received rom-coms.

As I wrote a few posts back I see the main purpose of the whole production is so that fans can compare the characters we get to the original series. Kyon has a sense of humor for one thing and seems to be willing to grab the dramatic mike. We saw new things about Yuki and Haruhi.

I don't know where this is going (if anywhere) but I can recognize them laying a foundation for something. Looking at it this way it is much better than a D episode.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well everything in this episode is directly out of the manga so I have no problem with the episode as it is.

It essentially shows the characters thought processes when reacting to certain events. So it establishes a 'baseline' of characters for the viewer to gauge personality changes against later.

but if you've never read the story and are viewing this as a stand alone episode then 'D' would be totally understandable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6