• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About Women in Sports

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Kazamuki wrote:
I'm disappointed in the lack of Attacker You!.

This.

Also seconding Princess Nine.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Loved Yawara! At least what I've seen of it! Hey, Animeigo, if you guys could release the rest of the series, that'd be great!
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Great list, definitely the most iconic sports women anime save for Taisho girls, there is far better women sports anime. With the greatest one being Attack No. 1, it was awesome. Followed by Ace wo Nerae.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
To me, karate, ninjutsu, kung fu, and taekwondo are.

None of those involve tying a knife to the end of a long stick and hitting people.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The poll is kinda....not right IMO. "What Winter 2015 Anime Was the Best?" should be only anime that have actually ended. On-going shows could easily be ruined by bad endings. It also just makes more sense this way. Please do it this way in the future. Rating an anime based on half the show is just ignorant.
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The poll is kinda....not right IMO. "What Winter 2015 Anime Was the Best?" should be only anime that have actually ended. On-going shows could easily be ruined by bad endings. It also just makes more sense this way. Please do it this way in the future. Rating an anime based on half the show is just ignorant.

It's perfectly fine to do it this way. People aren't holding off their opinion on Sazae-san until the Earth is swallowed by the sun and it finally ends. Same for shows like One Piece, no one's watching that show 16 years after it started and are still reserving judgement until the last episode airs.

So if, for example, the JoJo's episodes that aired this winter were the best episodes of anime that aired this winter then it could reasonably be be considered the best anime of the winter.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of Teekyu! on this list.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers Ginban Kaleidoscope. That show delivered with the skating and was every bit as good with its humor and romance.

I'd be surprised if anyone licensed it. Then again, I thought Sketchbook! Full Colors wouldn't get picked up, either.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Japan actually hosted the Olympics in 1998 and 1972 as well.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Put my vote in for Battle Athletes and Princess Nine.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Girls und Panzer also falls under a competitive sport of sorts, depending on whether you think a sport requires purely physical excertion or not, granted, but it was still an anime based around a competition between two teams.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I would put Chihayafuru on the list, especially with its actual game tactics.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I was going to mention Princess 9 -- a series that I'm currently watching -- but Touma beat me to it.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Ginban Kaleidoscope on a list, it hardly shows up anyplace Smile
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm also surprised that Princess Nine isn't here for a number of reasons. First because it's more explicitly about the idea of "women in sports" (as opposed to a sports show where the main character happens to be a woman) than most other entries here.

One of the plot points comes from the fact that most Japanese high schools don't have a girls' baseball team, only a softball team, and how the heroines challenge this by forming a baseball team and brashly declaring that they'll beat the boys to the national championship in no more than three years. It's far from a feminist screed, (the main focus is on the girls becoming better players through their friendship) but that's still a part of the story, and it's more subversive than anime usually gets.

Not to mention that it might be one of the most successful sports anime ever in North America (unless you count stuff involving fictional sports like IGPX.) The genre is really unpopular here, but ADV promoted this show like crazy back in the day, and it won a nice cult following, while male-centered sports shows like Eyeshield 21 and Prince of Tennis bombed completely.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Battle Athletess Victory would fit very well in this list, as well as Princess Nine. BAV covers a myopia of sports from marathon swimming to roller-pulling.

Nonetheless, the Sports anime shows listed are indeed impressive. Too bad that, for obvious reasons, six out of seven of these shows will never see the light of day in the U.S... Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4