• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Awesome People of Color in Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
No love for roshia sushi?

Or is Simon excluded because of the Russian stereotypes?
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Pandora Hearts! An anime reboot that follows the manga would be perfect!
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Yu Yu Hakusho needs a remake/reboot. I think it's fine as it is and the English dub made it more memorable. I do want a Kenshin and Soul Eater reboot. (I'm holding out on finishing the Soul Eater manga in hopes of the anime coming back, mostly because I prefer to see anime than read manga)
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Look, the sentiment is nice, but the last thing anime needs is that pseudo-social justice that has already made it's inroads into comics.

I'm Latino and I don't care that most characters are Japanese because it suppose to be a reflection on it's society. But I don't want to start seeing people complain that a show set in Japan doesn't have characters that have the same skin tone as people from Africa and that it's someone white people's fault.

Finally the more I hear the term "People of Color" the more its starts to sound as racist as the usual racist words.

Good for you, but I'm also Latino, and I'd like to see more people like me in shows because I'd rather the media didn't pretend I didn't exist.

Also, that "pseudo-socia justice" gave us a new-and-improved Carol Danvers, Khamala Kahn, Spider-Gwen, a new-and-improved Red Sonja, a totally awesome new Batgirl book, and everthing Kate Leth has worked on. You're welcome to read Frank Miller, but I'm not going back. No thans.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Would Nadia count? Looking up the city that she is from on Wiki, apparently the people from that region are genetically tied to Western Europe and North Africa. In either case Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East is considered Caucasian even by the US census bureau. She has dark skin, but that is actually common in parts of Spain, Italy, and other southern parts of Europe. Hell even the Japanese depcition of European and Americans has becoming a running joke because depsite blond hair and blue eyes being found in Europeans, that is far from the most common set of traits.

In addition like someone pointed out, even Japan you can go from very fair skin to really bronze/dark complexion in Okinawa.

So I think this was a poorly thought out execution. It especially comes off as poor taste, when your tag line is about anime not getting diversity right, yet you make this articles solely on the judgement of people being "dark" in complexion. So to you diversity merely relates to ones appearance?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, let's be perfectly honest, most media doesn't get ethnicities right due to the fact that most of it is as white as a chalk mine. These choices are great because not only do they all feel like fully realized characters, they're also key players in their respective series. They're either major supporting characters or outright main characters.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
People actually still believe race exists in the 21st century? This makes me shake my head...

Intragroup genetic diversity is so much higher than intergroup genetic diversity, to the point that it's statistically insignificant.

The concept of race is a fiction that serves simpleminded people who feel some irrational need to sort people into "groups"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Even if race doesn't exist, ethnicity does.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
A little disappointed that Mr. 1 from One Piece didn't show up. I guess I didn't really expect him to, since he is a relatively minor character for a show that is 650+ episodes long, but still, that guy was super bad ass.

As far as anime purchases go, I'm with angelmcazares in that I would have liked a distinction between series and individual sets(I made 9 different purchases for Ghost in the Shell if you include the compilation movies, the 25th anniversary edition, the SAC import sets, and all of Arise, for example). In any case, I had a pretty solid year financially, so I actually purchased somewhere close to 65+ series and almost 100 individual sets. Shocked
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Quote:
Boseman will be the live-action film franchise's first proper super hero of color, after secondary characters Lt. Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes/War Machine and Nick Fury.

Guess you forgot/hadn't seen Captain America 2. Falcon is another secondary hero that appeared in Marvel's main series of movies.

It's the only one I haven't seen! I keep waiting for it to show up on Netflix but it looks like I need to just rent it on Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
abdul's proper romanization is and will always be abdul, because of paula abdul, any other romanization you see it's just avoiding a lawsuit.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Anthy Himemiya's exclusion from this list is criminal.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Well at least they included Casca.

and they included nadia as well which i totally agree. though that girl from macross/robotech is another story. sure she had her parts , but of course the main girl in that series who helped in the SDF1 more often was the other one though as fans of the old robotech series known as "the old sour puss". even to this day that line still makes me laugh and makes me wonder what he actually said for the uncut version of macross since getting it is insanely hard now that ADV is persona non grata .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dark skinned anime characters don't always have an ethnicity ascribed to them. Considering how unnatural anime characters often look I don't even consider ethnicity unless it's specifically mentioned.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Cyborg 009 has Jet/002 (a Latino), Geronmio/005 (a Native American), and Pyuunma/008 (an African).

Actually, Jet is Italian-American not Latino. In episode 26 they had a profile info listed on the screen and it said nationality is Italian-American (イタリア語 アメリカ人).

http://i.imgur.com/S49QOHb.jpg?1

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12