• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Diet Members Form Manga/Anime/Game Caucus

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling this is mainly just going to help the greedy ass publishers that are basically strip mining the industries true talents for all they're worth.

Well in any case the Japanese entertainment industry, especially anime is already facing a lot of problems in terms of how it handles it's labor and production schedules, and I swear it seems to deliberately go out of it's way to shirk and/or drive away any new opportunities to expand it's markets so Japan's economy being in an overall recession doesn't help matters much. Like some people in this thread though I can't help but feel like they've basically done it to themselves by just having bad short term oriented business models set up that look like they're really starting to crash down even faster than I imagined. I've always thought the premium package $80 dollars for 2 episodes Blu-Ray market (good luck selling those anymore if the recession starts to cut really deep) was a stupid business model that drove down industry standards, drove more people towards piracy or at best reverse importing and PVRing, led to impractical production schedules ("we'll fix it for the Blu-Ray release!" shouldn't be seen as a good thing in any entertainment industry, except now they've even managed to convince enough idiot fanboys that it's a natural part of the process and that they're improving the product and adding extra content as opposed to what's really going on in that they're just releasing for a price what people should gotten in the first place on TV but didn't due to incompetent production schedule management) and placed far too much emphasis on packaging, event tickets, and marketing tactics rather than having a show actually just stand up to basic critical scrutiny and be plain old well made.

I at least thought though that the current industry had the next year before the obvious stress fractures in it's makeup started crumbling and panic buttons like this started getting pushed, but it looks like it's going to happen pretty much right now after all.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Hoppy800 wrote:
This caucus is needed especially with the Olympics coming, we don't another Bill 156, keeping creativity as unabated by censors as possible is very important especially in games as the Western market is being tainted by extremist left views and this is leaving Japan (and other Eastern nations like South Korea) becoming the last frontiers for creativity.

S.Korea already has something a lot worse than Bill 156 as even mild depictions are criminalized there. People have been arrested for Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)

uh, evidence configspace?? I never heard of it, and I can't find anything on that on the web.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
"we'll fix it for the Blu-Ray release!" shouldn't be seen as a good thing in any entertainment industry, except now they've even managed to convince enough idiot fanboys that it's a natural part of the process and that they're improving the product and adding extra content as opposed to what's really going on in that they're just releasing for a price what people should gotten in the first place on TV but didn't due to incompetent production schedule management.

And isn't it so much fun when the unfinished version of the show somehow gets released on disc in North America?
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
uh, evidence configspace?? I never heard of it, and I can't find anything on that on the web.

Looks like he told you a year and a bit ago about it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This caucus is needed especially with the Olympics coming, we don't another Bill 156, keeping creativity as unabated by censors as possible is very important especially in games as the Western market is being tainted by extremist left views and this is leaving Japan (and other Eastern nations like South Korea) becoming the last frontiers for creativity.

Wasn't that the one that made Lolicon illegal? I don't see how that is a bad thing, they should of included that back in 84.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Wasn't that the one that made Lolicon illegal? I don't see how that is a bad thing, they should of included that back in 84.

Nope. It simply narrowed what could be published in magazines aimed at readers under 18. Many say it mostly has effected shojo publications as they deal with more issues that skirt the edge. The main effect seems to be an increase in self censorship by magazine publishers.

Magazines for people over 18 were not effected at all. Also not effected were actual photographs and prose as they were exempt.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why do I get the feeling this is mainly just going to help the greedy ass publishers that are basically strip mining the industries true talents for all they're worth.

Because you did not read the article?

They talked with the creators about how to cultivate new talent and improve working conditions.
One proposal is about tax breaks for the creators.

It looks to me like they are more concerned with the artists than the publishers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2