• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's Car Planned For Cars 3 Cameo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Everybody knows Lupin's real car is the Mercedes SSK.

Miyazaki only had him slumming it with that Fiat because he prefers a more humble master thief.

The story I've hear was the SSK was hard to draw but staff members owned a Citroen and a Fiat so they were used instead because it was easy to go look at them for refrence.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
shiranehito wrote:
It's great that Lupin's car made it to Hollywood, but Cars 3? Omfg please no. Pixar, please. Only kids like Cars franchise and they really take the money milking up to eleven and beyond. Pixar has been disappointing me in their recent movies since after Toy Story 3, especially ones which serves as sequel/prequel things. I'm still okay with Incredibles 2, but Cars again? Please, no. Unless they're positive they can change my thoughts about Cars.

As annoying as it can be hearing people that companies may make more sequels, there's still a market for certain audiences. The idea of making money may trump story quality.

So long as younger kids make Cars merch a surefire moneymaker, Cars are for them especially.

If Disney weren't exploiting its library for sequels, analysts would squawk that it is squandering resources. And so Finding Dory, a sequel to 2003's Finding Nemo, is coming in 2016. But 3 of Pixar's next 4 releases will be originals. Pete Docter is readying Inside Out, set in the mind of a preteen, for June 2015. A retooled Dinosaur will follow that November, then an untitled movie about the Mexican holiday Day of the Dead.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
shiranehito wrote:
It's great that Lupin's car made it to Hollywood, but Cars 3? Omfg please no. Pixar, please. Only kids like Cars franchise and they really take the money milking up to eleven and beyond. Pixar has been disappointing me in their recent movies since after Toy Story 3, especially ones which serves as sequel/prequel things. I'm still okay with Incredibles 2, but Cars again? Please, no. Unless they're positive they can change my thoughts about Cars.

As annoying as it can be hearing people that companies may make more sequels, there's still a market for certain audiences. The idea of making money may trump story quality.

So long as younger kids make Cars merch a surefire moneymaker, Cars are for them especially.

Actually, although the Monsters, Nemo, and Toy Story 3 sequels were all legal studio-ownership entanglements--dating back to when Eisner threatened to make them himself (Pixar inherited the titles after Eisner's spinoff studio went under and he was kicked out, but they were forced to make original stories to claim ownership)--Cars 2 was Bob Iger's idea.
Seems we were all being a little too harsh in picking on Cars's "bad box office" (a blunder caused by predicting that Cars would "outgross Nemo", which, at the time, was like saying that Big Hero 6 would outgross Frozen...), and Iger felt a little too picked on in the schoolyard. He wanted to prove that the Cars marketing and characters were still popular with the audience, for the same reason he jammed Tiana into the Princess marketing after we all picked on Princess & the Frog...So there, meanies, nyeh! Razz

Quote:
If Disney weren't exploiting its library for sequels, analysts would squawk that it is squandering resources. And so Finding Dory, a sequel to 2003's Finding Nemo, is coming in 2016. But 3 of Pixar's next 4 releases will be originals.

Namely, because they've already finished cleaning up all those nasty Circle 7 sequels that Eisner threatened to make. (Actually, they rather liked Circle 7's Monsters-sequel script, but no, lawyers said Pixar's had to be an original drafted work.) Eisner talked about another Incredibles and Bugs' Life, but never got as far as a draft story.
So take a deep breath, whiners--It's OVER. Except for Lasseter apologizing for Cars 2, of course. Oh, and in the real world, the Planes spinoff is doing nicely with the demographic, thank you, but that's not theirs either.

enurtsol wrote:
A retooled Dinosaur will follow that November,

Erm, nnnnnno:
"The Good Dinosaur", a whimsical story of civilized dinosaurs meeting that hairy new creature for the first time. (Or at least that's what the story was when they had to delay for changing directors.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
But 3 of Pixar's next 4 releases will be originals. Pete Docter is readying Inside Out, set in the mind of a preteen, for June 2015.

That's not really original. Herman's Head already did it. Rolling Eyes Also, Cars 2 made money. It just had the worst RT score of any Pixar film.

Quote:
(Actually, they rather liked Circle 7's Monsters-sequel script, but no, lawyers said Pixar's had to be an original drafted work.)

Couldn't Disney just buy back Eisner's ideas?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
A retooled Dinosaur will follow that November,

Erm, nnnnnno:
"The Good Dinosaur", a whimsical story of civilized dinosaurs meeting that hairy new creature for the first time. (Or at least that's what the story was when they had to delay for changing directors.)

That's because director Bob Peterson couldn't figure out his 3rd act, so as Pixar does, moved it back 18 months under another director. Who knows what it will be now; who has the time and money to afford moving all that past work.

GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:
But 3 of Pixar's next 4 releases will be originals. Pete Docter is readying Inside Out, set in the mind of a preteen, for June 2015.

That's not really original. Herman's Head already did it. Rolling Eyes

That's not what's meant by originals; otherwise Shugo Chara wouldn't be neither.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Just want to note that I find it amusing that the headline references Lupin III and the actual article does NOT mention Lupin at all and instead makes it (painfully) clear that Lasseter is making a tribute to MIYAZAKI (even picking the NON-Lupin cars) rather than really making a Lupin reference. Heck, from the sound of things I'd think Lasseter picked it because it was Miyazaki's first car rather than anything to do with it being in the Lupin film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Heero: Well, he already made the Lupin reference in the first Cars, though he denied it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
John Lasseter, you're awesome for bringing Disney back to respectability again with the Disney Revival era still kicking off really strong and the upcoming Big Hero 6 looks to continue that good will as well.

But seriously though, I would say that it's arguably a fact that Cars remains to be Pixar's worst franchise in terms of quality and while the first one is debateable on whether or not it is good, the second one is undeniably terrible and now we have a third one coming out? Boo! I rather go watch The Incredibles 2 instead!

Poor Lupin III, if you want to appear in a future Pixar film, Cars 3 would be considered bottom of the barrel.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
But seriously though, I would say that it's arguably a fact that Cars remains to be Pixar's worst franchise in terms of quality and while the first one is debateable on whether or not it is good, the second one is undeniably terrible and now we have a third one coming out? Boo! I rather go watch The Incredibles 2 instead!.

So, what's the true root of the murderous Cars franchise hate (and sins-of-the-father transferred onto the Planes franchise), here?
Was it more "Cars 2 stunk"--which, to be fair, it did on its own--or "You shoulda done an Incredibles sequel, and you're a mean poopyhead if you sequelize anything else first!"? C'mon, be honest.

(We know much of the Cars 1 hate was hypnotized into the public after the press got hold of it--When Disney promoted that Cars's opening would "outgross Nemo" and nothing obviously would, and the press, waiting for the other shoe to drop and finally report that mythical Pixar's First Flop, went hysterical in the headlines about how Cars had "flopped" in its first week.
When Jack Black had a flash Friday opening the next week with "Nacho Libre", the press cheered that "Cars down in its second week!..The king is dead!"--Er, oops, better wait until the Sunday numbers: Cars returned to be #1 the second weekend, and the press had to amend their stories as if the Pixar hit was some sort of interloper ruining Black's fun--"Nacho was defeated by Cars' stubborn hold at the last minute!"
The public, meanwhile, kept trying to reconcile their confused memories of the movie with the constant stories of what a "flop" it must have been--"Well, they said it didn't do well at the theaters...Er, yeah, what's so great about talking cars, anyway?? Confused ")
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

But seriously though, I would say that it's arguably a fact that Cars remains to be Pixar's worst franchise in terms of quality and while the first one is debateable on whether or not it is good, the second one is undeniably terrible and now we have a third one coming out?

Because it keeps selling merchandise.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@EricJ2

I would say that it's a mixture of both. Cars 2 is awful and is undeniably Pixar's worst film and even I think the first film wasn't that good and felt that it was Pixar going backwards, not forward and this world just doesn't make any sense at all. Also, out of all of the films in Pixar's library, is anyone really clamoring for a sequel to Cars? Everyone is more excited for The Incredibles 2 to come because since it isn't based on any source material, the possibilities were endless but with Cars, it really doesn't have much to justify doing more sequels.

@enurtsol

As Mr. Enter would say, Pixar isn't a toy company, it's a film company! Shouldn't their main concern is making a film that everyone wanted to see and not how many toys it can sell?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@EricJ2

I would say that it's a mixture of both. Cars 2 is awful and is undeniably Pixar's worst film and even I think the first film wasn't that good and felt that it was Pixar going backwards, not forward and this world just doesn't make any sense at all. Also, out of all of the films in Pixar's library, is anyone really clamoring for a sequel to Cars? Everyone is more excited for The Incredibles 2 to come because since it isn't based on any source material, the possibilities were endless but with Cars, it really doesn't have much to justify doing more sequels.

Basically, after the string of Up and Toy Story 3, it was the fans howling, "What? Pixar made a regular film? One that ISN'T going to be nominated for Best Picture? No fair, meanies, they can't do that to us!"
(They can do whatever they want, fanboys. Unless, of course, Bob Iger dictates otherwise from the top, as in this case.)

By the time we got the paper-thin, painfully mediocre and more-male-bashing-than-Frozen "Brave" the next year--which wasn't exactly their fault either--we had gotten USED to the idea of Pixar mysteriously not being nominated for Best Picture. (And ironically, they ended up robbing their "annual" Best Animated away from the one Disney that deserved it.)
But we still blamed Cars 2 for it. Evil or Very Mad And took out our hostilities on Monsters University.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

@enurtsol

As Mr. Enter would say, Pixar isn't a toy company, it's a film company! Shouldn't their main concern is making a film that everyone wanted to see and not how many toys it can sell?

Everybody wants merch money, even anime.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
@EricJ

Cars 2 is a complete step down from Up and Toy Story 3 and really, if this was from DreamWorks, it wouldn't be surprising but coming from Pixar? I thought Pixar would have more dignity in their films but all that this proves that they're not that different from any other film studios after all. In fact, why wasn't Cars 2 nominated for a Razzie instead? It deserves that instead for being Pixar's first rotten movie.

As for Brave? I was intrigued by the trailers but when it came to watching the film, you're right that this film is painfully mediocre by Pixar standards because what we got instead was a female version of Brother Bear and I really hated that film and the fact that Brave robbed Wreck-It Ralph that Best Animated Film Oscar that year may have played a role of Monsters University not getting nominated for the Oscars because of the huge backlash against Brave at that time.

As for Monsters University, the fact that it got inferior reviews to the classic original Monsters Inc. and that it was an unnecessary prequel, it's no surprise there that it wasn't considered although the fact that Despicable Me 2 and The Croods got Oscar nominations despite that they have even more inferior reviews to Monsters University also baffles me.

Lastly, male bashing in Frozen? You really believe Mayim Bialik's idiotic comments that really makes me feel like she really hasn't watched the film and got the main point? Believe it if you wish but I call bull crap on it.

@enurtsol

Yeah, that's unfortunately reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2