• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miku Company President Gets Defensive Over Claims of Miku's Decline

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the statement in this article.
'after a peak of 77 songs in 2012, Miku's output has since declined to a mere seven songs this year. '
...what is it referring to? Does it mean 7 songs made some kind of ranking or something? I'm kind of unfamiliar on what 'JCast' is exactly. Embarassed The way the article was worded made it sound like 'miku only made 7 songs this year' which wouldnt make any sense as hundreds of songs are uploaded to nico every month.

Google Translate can't even get the friggin' numbers straight, but based on that it looks like they either mean "number of songs that reached 5 million views this year" or "number of songs produced this year with 5 million or more views" (subtle difference). Not clear whether they mean Miku songs or all Vocaloid songs.

In any case, if it's true that there's "an upward trend in views of the entire Vocaloid library, and the number of new posts of Vocaloid songs has stayed constant" then it's pretty easy to see what's going on. The new songs aren't overwhelmingly popular anymore because there's a huge backlog of old ones competing for their attention. That's inevitable, and certainly doesn't mean the fandom is dying. It's just not really a fad anymore.

(To the above post: Vocaloid is a music synthesizer, not a band. There are thousands of independent artists using it.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
I'm not really surprised... I haven't listened to Hatsune Miku since 2011.

Hey, some of us have PS3's, not PSVita's, and didn't get hooked until 2013. Mad
(And that's only ONE GAME in the US--We don't even have Diva F2 yet, let alone three years of arcade games. She's only just this year achieved name recognition in the West, and Japan may be giving up on "their" trend a little too soon.)

And hooked like a trout, which is something I can't say about many other pop singers, E or J--Most US fans will point out that Miku's Voca-voice is unique compared to human singers, and for me, that's already put her a few points over listening to AKB48.

That said, there's so much of Miku and the other Vocas about, I tend to focus mostly on the songs that show up in the Playstation games. Life's too short to go looking into how many hundred songs or albums there are out there by any number of heretofore nameless J-groups at the moment, and then judging which ones I want on my iPod.
That's the problem of not having MTV anymore to create song exposure.

EyeOfPain wrote:
7 professionally produced Hatsune Miku songs, perhaps?

Crypton originally imagined that they would bring all these independent songs and artwork out of the Internet/otaku woodwork, and that "Anybody can create Miku!"
Well, everybody did, and now we've pretty well settled the trend into the pigeonholes of who's professional and who's not.

Fans recognize that Livetune, for ex., does Miku's happy, optimistic up-tempo songs (Yellow, Decorator), and Wowaka does her suicidal-timebomb "live fast, die young" songs (Rolling Girl, World's End Dance Hall), another group does her gynophobic humiliation-fantasy "man-eater from hell" songs (The World Is Mine, Ah...Yes), and it's just become a question of personal taste. Whichever anime-character persona you believe Miku represents, the other songs just seem out of character for her.
(The same problem the equally manufactured Monkees faced, when fans could tell which hit was a Boyce & Hart song, which was a Carole King or Neil Diamond song, and which was one of Mike Nesmith's.)

They sound so much like new singers, that it's basically divided the audience into what singers they prefer, which means that Vocas are facing...pretty much the same ups and downs as any other human singer.
I guess that means they've finally arrived, in a way.
Izu0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
I prefer Gumi, IA, Oliver, Kaito and Gachapoid
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
On an anime-related note, you can tell Miku's become her own distinctive voice as a performer when you can tell, even without having to look it up (or read the subliminal credits) that that's her voice on the Yamishibai Ghost Stories second-season ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMk53Oqg_E

(I could tell right away it was Vocaloid, but thought, "Naahh..." Smile )
Lovely

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
She also does the ending for the first season. Kinda surprised me when I first heard it.

Aaaaaanyways, that said, though I do enjoy vocaloid music, Miku's particular voice/tone is one that I've never actually been that fond of. I'm personally glad producers are branching out to the others! (yay IA!)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
When Miku was new, there's a lot that people want to try with her that hasn't been done before. But after some time, almost everything has already been tried. So unless they wanna keep doing what somebody has already done before........

As with any musician, a period of activity is usually followed with a period of inactivity, trying to do something new again.
McDoogle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I'm a bit confused about the statement in this article.
'after a peak of 77 songs in 2012, Miku's output has since declined to a mere seven songs this year. '
...what is it referring to? Does it mean 7 songs made some kind of ranking or something? I'm kind of unfamiliar on what 'JCast' is exactly. Embarassed The way the article was worded made it sound like 'miku only made 7 songs this year' which wouldnt make any sense as hundreds of songs are uploaded to nico every month.

It's the number of songs that achieved at least 500,000 views on Niconico. They're using that to measure how many "hit songs" are coming out. There are still hundreds if not thousands of Miku songs coming out all the time, but what the original article is trying to say is that only 7 songs were really smash hits this year down from 77 in 2012, which is showing a lack of interest in Miku now.

I for one don't really think that's the case. I think that what's happening right now is that a lot of veteran producers are shifting away from Vocaloid and into more real-life singers as supercell and livetune.kz did, and new producers are just starting to pick up the slack.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
7 songs released? What are they on about? That article itself is nothing but BS! Rolling Eyes I've got well over 2000 songs in singles and albums from well over 110 different artists with a wide eclectic genre and STILL counting! Obviously J-cast has never seen KerenT.jp. where just from the 1st of September to this posting date (09/Sept/14) there are 115 individual vocaloid songs released the majority of which are Miku, and that just on Karen-t. Lots of artists release their own music on their SoundCloud accounts, PiaPro, Blog sites, or Youtube accounts. If vocaloid was "falling out of favour" like this report would have us believe, then why are all Miku's concerts being sold out within days of ticket releases still? J-Cast is just bollox and they should f***-off. Laughing

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
nightcore34

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Hey, new here but I listen to Hatsune Miku everyday, vocaloid especially, but I think it's more of the fact that people are switching from Miku to other vocaloids in order to give the others a try.
RandomMikuFan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Itoh has every right to be critical of the original article, because its analysis was completely idiotic.

It counted the number of videos with X number of views. But videos that have been on NND for a couple of years are obviously going to have a lot more views than those that have only been on for a few months. You can run the same analysis on any type of videos, and you'll find the same pattern.

In fact I did do the analysis for both NND sports videos and R-18 videos, and I got the same results, big decline for 2014 compared with 2012 and earlier (I thought I saved the numbers, but can't find them now.) The drops were even bigger than for Miku.

So unless you want to believe that interest in sports and sexy women are also in major decline in Japan, I think you can ignore these claims for Miku.

(Full disclosure - Miku fan and former statistics grad student)
Brutannica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Several posters in this forum have pointed out that the article didn't make much sense. They're right, I'm wrong; I mistranslated. The numbers in question aren't the total Miku songs each year, they're the total number that have reached 500,000 views on Nico Nico Douga each year. Whoops.

I'm sorry. Thank you for pointing this out! I've fixed the mistake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2