• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers: Dino Charge Cast Revealed at Power Morphicon 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
The guy stood at the back, behind red ranger and the chick in yellow appears to not have legs and is floating - what is this magic?! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
"This is actually not the first time a team is without a Yellow member, J.A.K.Q, Battle Fever J and Dengeki Sentai Changeman never had a Yellow member. When it was decided that the Kyoryuger's would be required to defeat a dinosaur in order to be able to transform, we wanted the characters to be absurdly strong.

In order to show this, we chose to have more male characters over female characters. Seeing how modern Yellows have been female, we couldn’t have a male Yellow. If the Yellow was a male, the kids would probably think it was feminine and we wanted to avoid that."

This is a terrible reasoning which doesn't make the show sound very promising, if it has a production team that believes something like this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Guile wrote:
"This is actually not the first time a team is without a Yellow member, J.A.K.Q, Battle Fever J and Dengeki Sentai Changeman never had a Yellow member. When it was decided that the Kyoryuger's would be required to defeat a dinosaur in order to be able to transform, we wanted the characters to be absurdly strong.

In order to show this, we chose to have more male characters over female characters. Seeing how modern Yellows have been female, we couldn’t have a male Yellow. If the Yellow was a male, the kids would probably think it was feminine and we wanted to avoid that."

This is a terrible reasoning which doesn't make the show sound very promising, if it has a production team that believes something like this.

The translation I saw basically boiled down to "girls aren't strong enough, so that's why there's only one girl".
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
This is a terrible reasoning which doesn't make the show sound very promising, if it has a production team that believes something like this

It makes sense if you think about it. It should be noted the two females who show up later didn't have to defeat a dinosaur to get their powers, they showed their bravery in other ways.

Kyoryuger was pretty great overall, though the ending did things I didn't like. It had one of the most creative/diverse cast of characters in sentai. From a 14 year old nerd girl who stalks and is obsessed with the main guy to a middle-aged man in his 30s helping his sister and niece struggle to make ends meet after they become widowed. They covered a lot of spectrum age-wise and career-wise, and it had some of the more memorable villains of the franchise.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
Nice diversity in the cast, though Power Rangers has quite often been really good at that. I am sad to see only one female ranger, since there has usually been 2 in the 5 Ranger teams, even when the Sentai only had one.

It was explained why there was only one female by the producer of the show, though it was more about the question on why there was no KyoryuYellow

I know this was not a Saban show, but there have been a male yellow ranger before, in Ninja Storm, and-given- it was a light blue, there was a blue female ranger, too.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Guile wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
Nice diversity in the cast, though Power Rangers has quite often been really good at that. I am sad to see only one female ranger, since there has usually been 2 in the 5 Ranger teams, even when the Sentai only had one.

It was explained why there was only one female by the producer of the show, though it was more about the question on why there was no KyoryuYellow

I know this was not a Saban show, but there have been a male yellow ranger before, in Ninja Storm, and-given- it was a light blue, there was a blue female ranger, too.

In Sentai, there were male Yellow Rangers in
Goranger, Denjiman, Sun Vulcan, Dynaman, Liveman*, Turboranger (not to be confused with Power Rangers Turbo, which is Carranger), Jetman*, Zyuranger**, Dairanger, Kakuranger*, Gingaman**, GoGoFive**, Timeranger**, Gaoranger* **, Hurricaneger*, Magiranger*

*The female member(s) of the team were also not Pink. In Liveman and Hurricaneger, she was Blue. In Jetman, they were White and Blue. In Kakuranger and Gaoranger, she was White. Magiranger had a Pink, but also a female Blue ranger. Gekiranger, Go-Onger, and Go-Busters had a female Yellow, but no Pink (only one female).
**The male Yellow was changed to female for the Power Rangers version

So, we have 16 male Yellow Rangers and 17 female Yellow Rangers out of 36 series total (prior to Kyoryuger, and with 3 series without Yellow Rangers at all). So it's pretty 50/50, but when you look that Magiranger was the last time there was a male Yellow Ranger, and it aired in 2005-2006, that means, when Kyoryuger began airing in 2013, it had been 8 years since there had been a male Yellow Ranger. Given that Super Sentai's target demographic is roughly 5-7 year old boys, unless they were shown earlier series, they've never seen a male Yellow.

Which was the point they were making. Not that there'd never been a male Yellow, but that their audience has only known female Yellows.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
That's how I took it as well. Yellow has shifted into being the tomboy girl of the group, while pink remained the feminine girl of the group. So to younger kids it would probably be weird for yellow to go back to males at this point, or at least until a director decides to.

Also keep in mind given Kyoryuger's outfits, yellow would probably not work anyway given it has a yellow stripe across the chest and would clash too much.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I believe in that same interview, they said that they added the yellow accent because there was no Yellow Ranger.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that Saban is stepping up in the diversity area especially since they now have their first Hispanic Red Ranger and African-American Pink Ranger. I'm excited to see this season since Judd Lynn is back which he can hopefully bring back what Power Rangers used to be: a great storyline and LOTS of amazing action.

Power Rangers and Super Sentai are two completely different shows, I usually compare the each series to its Sentai counterpart in terms of story and action. MegaForce and Super MegaForce has been a real disappointment in a lot of ways mainly with the story and it's countless amount of plot holes but I still enjoy the show a little just to see what happens especially when the Legend War happens, but so far their counterparts are WAY better than what we are watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2