• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day [Collector's Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. Must see for all AnoHana fans.

Chiibi wrote:
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. It'
s dead wrong about "adding nothing". Must see for all AnoHana fans.

Don't be an angry fanboy. ...Fangirl. Whichever.

I'm not being angry; I'm stating that it's false to say "the movie adds nothing".
nosotros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. Must see for all AnoHana fans.

Don't be an angry fanboy. ...Fangirl. Whichever.

I'm not being angry; I'm stating that it's false to say "the movie adds nothing".

For us poor and stupid folks who did not immediately arrive at exactly the same conclusion that you did, would you mind explaining your point of view? The reviewer thoughtfully arranged what I would guess is nearly 2000 words articulating hers, so you'll pardon me for saying that your passing remark that the movie is "beautiful" and the review is full of "crap" doesn't really hold much weight in comparison, nor does it add anything to a potential discussion of either this movie or this review.
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope nobody wanting to watch it read this article, because it is full of spoilers, especially what Menma's forgotten wish actually was, and what Jintan could do about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have a feeling I will share the same frustration stated in the review after the first 15 minutes. First, even though I love AnoHana, I really, really hate recaps. Second, I wish the movie were instead the first 15 mins new material, then moved on to a proper epilogue of what happened next, how they got on with their lives.

This would've at least provided some drama or tension and actual plot material. I really wish we could see more of other characters and the most interesting of all for me was Tsurumi Chiriko.

Assuming that the first 15 minutes is where the meat and worthy stuff of this movie is, is misleading. The movie goes back and forth between recap, new material and "epilogy" stuff. It is interesting that you mention Tsuruko because she is, probably, also the most interesting characters to me. I think you would like what the movie did with her epilogue-wise.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It’s hard for me to really say you can watch the film without seeing the series and still understand what’s going on, because overall I felt that the story for Anohana was actually very simple, and that it was the emotional aspects that were complicated. I’m not saying that would save the movie, but I just think that we are kind of at a point right now in anime (and perhaps film) where we can manage to navigate in terms of disrupted plot elements (I know that Baccano is completely different, but in a way I felt that the story for that show would be more complex to figure out compared to only viewing the Anohana movie without seeing the tv show).

Regardless, I do not have this special edition of the film, but I feel like it might be worth it if you are already a fan and want the extras. In a way, this movie feels like a really expensive special feature more than anything.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
nosotros wrote:
For us poor and stupid folks who did not immediately arrive at exactly the same conclusion that you did, would you mind explaining your point of view? The reviewer thoughtfully arranged what I would guess is nearly 2000 words articulating hers, so you'll pardon me for saying that your passing remark that the movie is "beautiful" and the review is full of "crap" doesn't really hold much weight in comparison, nor does it add anything to a potential discussion of either this movie or this review.

Geeze, there is no need to get so hostile. Rolling Eyes

What I'm basically saying is that this movie isn't just a recap of the TV series; it actually has a lot of new footage in both the pasts and futures of all six characters and that is really nice for all fans of the TV series.

Thus I don't get why she says it "adds nothing" because it certainly DOES add things and it's enjoyable for those who want more of AnoHana's universe.

I'm not a reviewer for this site and I don't have time to write 2000 words but I can say that anyone who liked the show, will like this film so go watch it.

Quote:
First, even though I love AnoHana, I really, really hate recaps.

I hate recaps too....but I was pleasantly surprised by this film because it does a lot of new things. It is not like the TTGL movies...that just added a handful of scenes with new animation into a rehash of the TV series.

Quote:
Second, I wish the movie were instead the first 15 mins new material, then moved on to a proper epilogue of what happened next, how they got on with their lives.

Actually you're in luck because it does exactly that.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
You should be careful about accusing people of being hostile when you barge into the discussion calling the review "crap" and "dead wrong"

And hey, even if you're "not a reviewer and do not have time to write 2000 words", well...that just means that maybe you should use the few words you do write more carefully
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's only in her summary of the negatives at the bottom that she says it the film "overall adds nothing".

That's so misleading though. Why would she even say that?

Quote:
You should be careful about accusing people of being hostile when you barge into the discussion calling the review "crap" and "dead wrong"

What nosotros wrote was far more offensive and felt like a personal attack.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she had faith that the reader wouldn't weigh the 2000 other words she wrote so heavily at those 3 at the bottom?

Whatever she meant in the summation, I think she explained whatever issues she had with the movie pretty clearly in the main review itself.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that there are people who think "tl;dr" and just skip to the bottom for the nitty-gritty.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't think any of the reviewers here are writing for those kinds of people. If they don't feel it necessary to read the actually review, then it's pretty much their own fault if they get angry or minterprate something.. They shouldn't really have any right to criticize an article they didn't fully read.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm pretty sure that there are people who think "tl;dr" and just skip to the bottom for the nitty-gritty.

then write a review in a format that people want to read

alot of people and websites think reviews need to be long and thorough

but that is not what most people want

people got places to go and things to do, aint nobody got time for that.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally, loved the movie. Love the TV series and I knew what I was going to be getting into with this movie (recaps). I enjoyed the little additional scenes they threw in between the recaps, as some of it felt like you got more into the head of the characters.

While I would've liked to have of seen a bit more on how they continued to live their lives, I'm kind of satisfied with how it ended (though, I would've like to have of seen spoiler[Anjou confess]..only got teased in the end there). Still, I was in for a nostalgia trip and I wasn't disappointed. Laughing
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
The review is pretty dead on, I would say. Sure, the movie made me emotional, but mostly because it reminded me of the emotions I felt while watching the show. When Yukiatsu has his spoiler[crossdressing breakdown], I was touched because I remembered how it was done in the show, with a lot more time spent on establishing the relationships between the characters and building up to powerful moments like this one. When we were just briefly visiting moments like this in the movie, it felt like a check on a list. It would never work for someone not having his original feelings present, ready to be touched upon. The TV show was a very sensitive one that took it's time with the characters exploring their actual feelings, where the movie just let them state them. Or write them down. I was grateful for the childhood prologue, which really should have been part of the series in order for the ending to work (even) better. And, sure, it was nice to see them spoiler[move on with their lives, deepening their bonds] and whatnot. But, as a narrative, the movie was rather incoherent. I'm still glad I watched it for the parts that added to the series, and the visuals and acting are simply beautiful, for those aspects alone it is worth a watch, I'd say.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Good review.

I watched the TV series and wanted to bring my friend to show the movie in theaters, glad I didn't. She wouldn't have understood a thing. I see the my main concerns with the show were pushed further in the movie all that yelling and crying bit, yeesh.
I think I'll watch for the added bonus bits.

I blame it on Mai Okada for problems I had Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3