• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Reconguista in G's 2nd Video, Story, Cast, Staff, Designs Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm looking forward to this. I watched Gundam Seed, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't always my cup of tea. This reminds me of Eureka Seven (beyond the character designs) and that is a wonderful thing!

There are plenty of Gundam shows that blow Seed out of the water. If you liked Seed, you'll probably love some of the others.

not quite. as good as 00 was , both seed and seed destiny still have a popular fanbase in the otaku community.

Unfortunately there is a big problem.

With Bandai Ent now non existent & six feet under like ADV Films and considering it was the main MO for any gundam series, the chances of this series ever getting to the US is also non existent.

Sure it might be possible if its popular BUT so far , not one company have licensed any gundam titles at all after they gave up the ghost.

not to mentioned that no one has licensed Gundam AGE or Gundam Build Fighters, which isnt a good sign for the franchise in the US.Especially now that Unicorn is finished its run.

So yea, while its good news over there, for the US gundam fanbase is another story which will unfortunately give the fansubs groups a lot of excuse cause lets face it. Bandai's demise has literally mean the end of anything gundam in the US. at least officially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:52 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Sounds interesting, and I like the mecha designs a lot, but I never did care for Kenichi Yoshida's rather distinctive character designs.

Regardless, I'll be watching. I'm curious to see what Tomino does with his newest entry in one of my favorite anime franchises.

One thing I'm curious about though. Back when this was announced as G Reko, didn't he specifically say he didn't want to use the word "Gundam" in the title? I wonder what caused the change? At the time, he even seemed to suggest that G Reko wasn't necessarily going to be a Gundam show at all, but that obviously didn't end up being the case.

Probably the Bandai marketing department caused the change. This was always intended to be a Gundam show by association only, in that the show would take place in the follow up to Universal Century. There's still signs that this isn't your typical Gundam fare, starting with the fact that the main mobile suit isn't called a Gundam.

jr0904 wrote:

not quite. as good as 00 was , both seed and seed destiny still have a popular fanbase in the otaku community.

Unfortunately there is a big problem.

With Bandai Ent now non existent & six feet under like ADV Films and considering it was the main MO for any gundam series, the chances of this series ever getting to the US is also non existent.

Sure it might be possible if its popular BUT so far , not one company have licensed any gundam titles at all after they gave up the ghost.

not to mentioned that no one has licensed Gundam AGE or Gundam Build Fighters, which isnt a good sign for the franchise in the US.Especially now that Unicorn is finished its run.

So yea, while its good news over there, for the US gundam fanbase is another story which will unfortunately give the fansubs groups a lot of excuse cause lets face it. Bandai's demise has literally mean the end of anything gundam in the US. at least officially.

Both previous Gundam series had huge presence in YouTube and official subtitled versions of each were actually available at the same time as the broadcast. BF was actually uploaded in HD also. Neither licensing nor fansubs are required for one to watch a Gundam show these days.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
Probably the marketing the department caused the change. This was always intended to be a Gundam show by association only, in that the show would take place in the follow up to Universal Century.

Yep. Unless the show gives me good reason to do otherwise, I plan on watching this as if it were not really Gundam at all but a completely unrelated Tomino mecha show.

And if they have gotten him to cut-and-paste this series into the UC Gundam timeline against his wishes, I wonder what he's getting in return...? More Byston Well OVAs on the way, perhaps? Razz
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
darkhunger wrote:
Probably the marketing the department caused the change. This was always intended to be a Gundam show by association only, in that the show would take place in the follow up to Universal Century.

Yep. Unless the show gives me good reason to do otherwise, I plan on watching this as if it were not really Gundam at all but a completely unrelated Tomino mecha show.

And if they've gotten him to cut-and-paste this series into the UC Gundam timeline against his wishes, I wonder what he's getting in return...? More Byston Well OVAs on the way, perhaps? Razz

I wouldn't go that far. As I said, this was always intended to be a follow up to UC, even way back in 2011 when the show was first announced. Tomino just didn't want this to be a traditional Gundam show or even be called Gundam in the title.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
While I dig the new Gundam design, the humans are really fugly. Still, the show looks interesting as a whole.
lyingskies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Takuya Satō as Ruin Rii
A Capital Guard Academy trainee

The Takuya Satō in the article is linked to the director and not the seiyuu. Should be this one.

Also,

Quote:
Grimoire

Mass-produced mobile suit used by the pirates

Quote:
The High Grade kit for the Gurimoa will also come this year for 1,400 yen (US$14).

Spelling inconsistency.

Just a heads up~
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Gonna have to wait and see who's in charge of writing before getting hyped but thisis looking pretty decent so far. Love Kenichi Yoshida's designs, the mechs look cool and Yuugo Kanno getting more composing work is always awesome after his great work on Birdy, Psycho Pass and currently Jojos.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
With the first trailer, we couldn't get a good look at the Gundam so I wasn't sure if liked it. But not we finally get a good angle on the head, and it's pretty cool, if a little funky. And for some reason, I love that little bit at 0:45 with the cut-out wedge of the pilot moving along with the mobile suit.

I'm really looking forward to this just from the looks of it. Yoshida's one of my favorite character designers, so I'm interested in anything he's involved in. He's also a pretty great animator (see: Eureka Seven ep 26), so it'd be awesome if gets to do some of that too.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Cant wait to watch this Gundam
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm taking the wait and see approach with this new series.

Its all about the story to me, only thing i was little concern about Mysterous mobile suite aka Gundam "choose" its new pilot. Which sounds bit corny to me. Maybe its because I like army story type shows like Votoms and older Gundam series. Not superheros in super mecha all the time. Gundam Wing had compelling story, though i wasn't into the near invincible Gundam mobile suits and their pilots.

My first impression of looking at new suit is it bit too streamline, it looks like it has a "smile" on its face/plate.

It will properly grow on me, but just having watch Gundam Unicorn, its going be hard act to follow.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic, but that summary makes it seem like it can go very, very wrong.

... and then it turns out the space pirates ARE ACTUALLY DESCENDANTS OF ZEEEOOOONNN

please please please dont suck, G-Reko Sad
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that Tomino stated himself that this series is not meant to be a hardcore mature series but something more accessible to kids.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
You can make something that's accessible to children but still competently written.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
You can make something that's accessible to children but still competently written.

Like Build Fighters.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Keep in mind that Tomino stated himself that this series is not meant to be a hardcore mature series but something more accessible to kids.

I've heard the complete opposite actually.

Keep in mind Tomino also marketed Zeta, Victory and Ideon for children too and look how those turned out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3