• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen this show, but it's good that we're getting more dubbed anime. I remember having a bit of a WTF reaction when seeing that Flowers of Evil wouldn't get a dub, and this was another of those instances, since as far as I could tell, it was decently popular.

Now, before anyone begins to yell at me, I must direct you to my blog post on the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
I haven't seen this show, but it's good that we're getting more dubbed anime. I remember having a bit of a WTF reaction when seeing that Flowers of Evil wouldn't get a dub, and this was another of those instances, since as far as I could tell, it was decently popular.

Again, Flowers of Evil would've been difficult to dub due to it's animation style. It'd pretty much be the same as dubbing a live-action film, and Sentai generally chooses to leave those sub-only.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yay dubs!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
And aren't the people who are more likely to buy a premium edition already preordered the BD release? Key word being "preorder"...

Wait, a numbered box set? Not one of those "We'll keep printing them as long as people keep buying them" premium editions or "Well, there's a box that takes up more space. That makes it special, right?" limited edition?

A genuine collectible. Interesting. Maybe, I'll wait and see what it includes.

"Due to popular demand" Yeah, the demand was there from the start because, bad dub or not, I hate watching Kyoto Animation shows subbed. Ok, my demand. Complaining, grumbling, call it what you will...

Give me the date, I'll get the money ready. {How did they not see this one coming? The show's been out for awhile and even the Amazon page for it said it was going to be dubbed and it still does}

And now that I know a dub's coming, I can't hear anybody but Karbowski as Dekimori. I could live with Rial as Rikka {and she's pretty much an "in" with the eye patch girls; May as well complete the trifecta} but if you get Christian, I wouldn't complain. Or get her for Morisummer, or you could get Calvello, and of course, Mosier as Kumin.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Then do your self a favor don't buy it Confused

Agreed, and given that they are still proceeding with the subtitled release, AsherFischell even has the option of still purchasing it on physical media "unsullied" by the dub.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the changes-in-heart that Sentai and Aniplex may have with releasing a sub-only DVD first and later on releasing a bilingual disc or BD if a show sells well the first time or if demand brings it about/, but I have grown to dislike the practice, all the same. Why waste my money on a sub-only release of a show that has the potential for a more "full-bodied" release? It creates a Catch-22 event, where you don't want to buy the bare-boned version, but not buying it (and, thus, "supporting the show") may actually deprive you of ever having the version you really want…

It is understandable, yes, but it is messed-up on some level, as well, and I don't know if the quasi- bait-and-switch practice is good for the long-term health of the N.A. market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind that it's being dubbed, but I DO mind that my sub-only Blu-Ray was canceled. Who knows how long I'll have to wait to get the series in HD now.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Great. Just great. This is getting a dub? It really shouldn't, because a show this terrible doesn't deserve a dub. There are much better anime out there that deserve an English dub, and this over hyped insult to humanity doesn't need one.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Great. Just great. This is getting a dub? It really shouldn't, because a show this terrible doesn't deserve a dub. There are much better anime out there that deserve an English dub, and this over hyped insult to humanity doesn't need one.

Now, I love to bitch, complain and use hyperbole as much as the next guy, but insult to humanity? Hitler was an insult to humanity. The subjugation of the people in North Korea is an insult to humanity. The spread of famine and disease in Africa is an insult to a humanity. A tv show that you don't like? Probably not so much. I know that anime is serious business, but it ain't THAT serious.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Haha, hope this release doesn't find itself in the Glitch Disc forum on Fandom Post...
kanonforever

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
If karbowski in it I'll be excited I'm just happy its get a dub
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I vote Hilary Haag as either Rikka or Sanae! I think she'd fit either girl really well. Very Happy But which girl would she fit better? Hmm... Neutral
normajean19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a surprise. I wasn't going to buy this originally, but now I think I'll have to make some room in the budget. All that's left is to wait and find out what's actually in it besides the BD and DVD and hope Sentai gets someone other than Christopher Ayres to direct and script the dub.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
they did have a survey not too long ago asking if people would be interested in Limited Editions. Looks like the answer was a "yes"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I am indifferent towards Chuunibyou getting a dub. I do not plan on watching the series with the dub, but congratulations to those who wanted one.

To be honest, I can live with the bare bones, sub BD set that I pre-ordered at TRSI. I am a bit upset that it will be canceled, but I will probably order one of those numbered, premium sets. I hope the original release date is not pushed back by more than 3 months.

The idea of premium sets from Sentai is very positive. If Waiting in the Summer is eventually dubbed and given the BD treatment, I would pay for a premium set of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6