• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cop/Mafia show suggestions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Excellent show. Based on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, and uses some pretty cool film noire type visual effects that I dug.

Good to know someone else enjoyed it, sometimes I think I'm the only person who's seen it let alone has a copy of the show on DVD.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
Try Heat Guy J. Among other things, it could be described as a futuristic cop and mafia show. The way that the underworld influences the way the city of Judoh operates and the way the police force deals with it is a big part of that show, and I think it's done very well. It's a fascinating take on what future organized crime would be like, and how future police will handle it.
anijunk

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Among the ones already mentioned, perhaps some oldies like

Burn Up!. It is an over the top police series with humour, containing of some OAVs end a TV show from the 1990s en early 2000s.

Dirty Pair, a sci-fi investigating duo. Also over the top and homor, TV series, OAVs and a movie.

And does genre search not give any results?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
How do you feel about bounty hunters and secret agents? If you like those too, then I definitely recommend you try out Gunsmith Cats, Read or Die, and L/R: Licensed by Royalty.

Gunsmith Cats and ROD are my #1 and #2 favorite anime OVAs of all time. And L/R is a secret agent series filled with James Bond and Beatles references.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I find it weird how the entire fandom seems to have completely forgotten Tokyo Tribe 2. Especially since it seems like a show that westerners would really love.The show itself is pretty good,it plays out like an old fashioned yakuza movie and it has atypical art style.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
So it's now 2016. My question: Did 2015 present any good anime of the cop/mafia show sub-genre? (Please, no unannotated listing; thank you.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru pairs a high-school boy with a young woman who is aficionado of bones. It seems the two of them cannot go out on a walk together without tripping over some skeletal remains that leads them on a crime-hunting spree. I found the cases themselves pretty mundane, enjoying the story more as a character study than a mystery thriller. I did find the romantic subtext a bit off-putting, though Shoutarou is a reasonably mature 16 year-old while Sakurako herself is pretty immature for a woman in her early to mid twenties. As is common in shows about amateur detectives, the police are largely portrayed as a bunch of incompetent boobs. You also have to suspend disbelief when it comes to the cops' willingness to let Sakurako muck around crime scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2