• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eleven Arts Reveals U.S. Theater Lineup for Evangelion 3.0 Screenings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

Columbus! It's actually my area! Decent theater with lighting and a parking garage.

Now whether I make time to go see it and IF it's a good time, that's a different story!

(I could see myself skipping simply because of the Blu ray release looming sooner rather than later next year.)

The days of Cleveland being the only place in the state to have this kind of showing are finally over...

Nothing against Cleveland, btw. It's just not my sector of the state and I don't care to drive long distances just to see a movie!

This will be about the fifth or sixth anime feature I've actually caught in the area since I've lived here.
About time we got more showings!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Kind of excited to see two theaters close to me (farmington hills and bloomfield, MI). Does it run all day or just at a select time? With those two venues being so close together I wonder if one will have the subtitles and the other dubbed? The Maple is playing Madoka Magica: Rebellion on Dec 6 as well! They don't have any info on their site yet.

Probably only one day, one time.

That's the way it works with most theatrical anime screenings that aren't movies distributed by Disney...

Sad, but true. Only the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films will get decent distribution and even then it's a lot less than Big-Budget Hollywood.

Even Disney's cut back a bit on those I think... Ponyo probably got the largest rollout of the Ghibli releases they've done States-wide.
I can remember having to see Howl's Moving Castle at an art theater next to downtown Columbus in a village called Bexley. The good thing about their exhibition is that they had BOTH the dubbed and subbed versions of Howl's Moving Castle (and I watched both -- the only time I've done that for a theatrical feature). I don't even recall seeing advertising for the sub of Ponyo. I think they only carried the dubbed version locally, and that got carried locally at more convenient movie theater locations -- at least in my area.

You have to make time and see the films when they're there because they don't stick around after that one second.
delariean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Showing in Houston at the Alamo....down at the bottom in small print, they are showing the dubbed version....

might see it...might not...
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Sweet. Just down the street from me in Fairfax. I'll have to collect some friends and get on that. Very Happy
Adamb15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
[expletive] worst time of year to take vacations, dammit all.

doubleO7 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I see tehy forgot Nebraska. Weird, since we Tugged our way to get a successful screening of Wolf Children last month...Youd think Evangelion would be a large enough audience for it to be automatic

They didn't use Tugg for Eva. They partnered with Eleven Arts like they usually do, and EL, for the most part, always starts off with the same theater lineup before occasionally adding requested locations from Eventful.

I think what they mean is that they thought funi would take notice of how many anime fans used Tug for Nebraska, and use it as a tool to estimate viewership.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Kind of excited to see two theaters close to me (farmington hills and bloomfield, MI). Does it run all day or just at a select time? With those two venues being so close together I wonder if one will have the subtitles and the other dubbed?

That's really strange to have two theaters in the same part of metro Detroit showing it, but nothing in Atlanta or Chicago (I guess the latter will be road-tripping to Kalamazoo?)

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to see if the Anohana movie plays within 300 miles of me. Not counting on it.
CorbeauKarasu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why they skip Chicago so frequently. Isn't ACen the nation's third biggest convention?
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
No Philly, no DC? Why?
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie just last weekend, the guys at Cinemex surprisingly did a few all day matinees at least in certain major movie theaters in Mexico City during February of all of the 3 reboot Eva movies and I saw all 3 in one haul subbed to spanish.

The 3.0 movie was such a complete sellout (people were standing in the aisles because the room was soo full) that they ended up opening another hour for the 3.0 movie in the last minute.

I guess they didn't expect the Eva movies to sell out so well, the cinema was full to the top during all 3 movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2