• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VI Ported to Smartphones, Square Enix Open to Porting VII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Final Fantasy VI was way overdue for a proper re-release. I am finally glad that it is being looked into. I too, think it is the best FF game in the series which got terribly sidelined due to FF7's mainstream appeal.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I feel like you missed the point. Everything you need to know about FFVI's character's is tied up in that ending. There's nothing more that needs to be told. It's a perfect ending.

Really? I felt there were some loose ends in that story that never got tied up.

spoiler[Shadow's story: Aside from some dream sequences that cover bits and pieces of his past, we still don't know to this day who Shadow really is. People have long speculated that he is Relm's long lost father. But nothing came out of it.

Locke and Celes: Just good friends? Or did they actually become lovers?

The Returners: Banon and his fellow Returners were never heard from after the world's destruction and nothing was touched upon whether or not they survived. They were an important part of the storyline during the events in the World of Balance. I don't understand why they were written out.
]
Even if those things were a big problem they wouldn't change the fact that ending is quite beautiful and gives a spotlight to and summaries each character extremely well.

But why are these problems. Do you guys need everything spelled out to you in extreme detail?

I don't want to know who Shadow is. Him being mysterious is what makes his character interesting. It's what adds punch to the scene where he chooses to return to the airship, because we don't have a firm grasp on his feelings, but we see some emotion. There's enough there to have an idea on his backstory with Relm if you want it which makes it cool because you have to pay attention. I don't need the origin of every character and it sucks and takes away when everything is explained about something that's supposed to have an air of mystery.

I don't need to see Locke and Celeste kiss or whatever to know that's where it's going. There's enough for me to know and imagine the rest.

The other Returners just poping up in the ending would be tacky because it would come off as "oh we forgot about you guys so we'll stick you in the last minute". I forgot about them myself and the story was unaffected.

The ending is great. Every character gets something which is not true for 7,8,9,10,12. And it leaves thing uncertain just like the character's future actually is. I wouldn't want anymore FFVI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Running Wild

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
I want HD FF6.

Just not on a phone.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Final Fantasy VI was way overdue for a proper re-release. I am finally glad that it is being looked into. I too, think it is the best FF game in the series which got terribly sidelined due to FF7's mainstream appeal.
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I feel like you missed the point. Everything you need to know about FFVI's character's is tied up in that ending. There's nothing more that needs to be told. It's a perfect ending.

Really? I felt there were some loose ends in that story that never got tied up.

spoiler[Shadow's story: Aside from some dream sequences that cover bits and pieces of his past, we still don't know to this day who Shadow really is. People have long speculated that he is Relm's long lost father. But nothing came out of it.

Locke and Celes: Just good friends? Or did they actually become lovers?

The Returners: Banon and his fellow Returners were never heard from after the world's destruction and nothing was touched upon whether or not they survived. They were an important part of the storyline during the events in the World of Balance. I don't understand why they were written out.
]
Even if those things were a big problem they wouldn't change the fact that ending is quite beautiful and gives a spotlight to and summaries each character extremely well.

But why are these problems. Do you guys need everything spelled out to you in extreme detail?

I don't want to know who Shadow is. Him being mysterious is what makes his character interesting. It's what adds punch to the scene where he chooses to return to the airship, because we don't have a firm grasp on his feelings, but we see some emotion. There's enough there to have an idea on his backstory with Relm if you want it which makes it cool because you have to pay attention. I don't need the origin of every character and it sucks and takes away when everything is explained about something that's supposed to have an air of mystery.

I don't need to see Locke and Celeste kiss or whatever to know that's where it's going. There's enough for me to know and imagine the rest.

The other Returners just poping up in the ending would be tacky because it would come off as "oh we forgot about you guys so we'll stick you in the last minute". I forgot about them myself and the story was unaffected.

The ending is great. Every character gets something which is not true for 7,8,9,10,12. And it leaves thing uncertain just like the character's future actually is. I wouldn't want anymore FFVI.

These were issues with me back in 1994 and they're still issues with me today.

Maybe you don't care about how the game turned out but there are some of us who do care. I never liked the "Leave it up to your imagination" excuse that many producers and developers use to avoid tying up loose ends. It's a copout and a slap in the face to those who dedicate their time and effort to play the game and be immersed in everything the game has to offer. If you don't have a desire to finish what you start, you shouldn't have bothered to start it in the first place.
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
We ask for Secret of Mana 2 and get Secret of Evermore instead.

Secret of Evermore is a good game.
Running Wild wrote:
I want HD FF6.

Why? HD is nothing but a gimmick!

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun:
Quote:
FF 6's ending was an hour long Gatsu,

Like I said. Half of that hour was spent with those multiple shots of the airship.

Rahxephon:
Quote:

And then you wonder why old-time Final Fantasy fans weren't keen on VII's ending, either. Rolling Eyes

Kabakaba:
Quote:
Secret of Evermore is a good game.

Secret of Evermore is a button-mash knock-off of Mana, but whatever floats your boat.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
But hour long ending of 6 is herald. It's part of why 6 is an old timer classic. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone argue aginst.

But I guess you guys are the type of people who need everything filled in and spelled out for you. The kind of people Kojima is trying to appease with MGS these days. There's a series that sucks because of how hard it tries to fill and explain everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Secret of Evermore is a button-mash knock-off of Mana, but whatever floats your boat.

It's fun. That is what floats my boat. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon:
Quote:
But I guess you guys are the type of people who need everything filled in and spelled out for you.

I like Grandia 2's ending, and that goes for a "fill in the blank"-type angle, too. It's just that it works, because it's about re-establishing that cosmic equilibrium which is typically unbalanced in RPGS. But the world already got blown up in FF VI, so what's left, now?

Quote:
The kind of people Kojima is trying to appease with MGS these days.

Lemme guess another MGS 4 hater.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
FFVI isn't even fill in the blank. It's not very ambiguous at all.

It's clear who Shadow is. They put it in enough things for you to find, you just have to piece them together.

It's clear what the relationship between Locke and Celeste is, you don't even need to question it.

It's clear that the Earth will get better in the end.

There's very little ambiguity here. It just dosen't say 100% and it dosen't need to.

GATSU wrote:

Lemme guess another MGS 4 hater.
It is a pretty awful game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon: You want to actually see them have a happy ending, not just a, "Whew, we barely made it out of there!" ending. And you don't get MGS 4, because you just don't know what it's like to get old.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Are these serious posts anymore?

Man you've just kind of opened Pandora's box by saying I don't know MGS4.

GATSU wrote:
And you don't get MGS 4, because you just don't know what it's like to get old.

1. Are you serious?
2. how old are you, were'nt you complaining about women only liking douchebags. That sounds like a young man's complaint.

and 3. What? This is MGS, this is not some nuanced story about getting old. The extent of that is Snake complaining about dying and being old, that's it. It's not deep or anything, it's just a thing. If you're relating to it and think that this is some deep poetic and nuanced storytelling then god helop you. And regardless, if I was old or not, it's not like the concept is at all hard to understand. The game uses it so simply that only an idiot wouldn't get what it's trying to say.

But MGS4, MGS in general is the perfect example of trying to answer everything.

Take for example Vamp. People in MGS have powers. It's a thing. MGS is fantasy military and for basically every game up until 4 people just went with it. Except now, Kojima feels the need to answer it because I guess for some reason people just have to know. And he does it such a half assed way. Oh it was just nanomachines? Which now opens all these other plotholes. So now we've taken away the mystique from Vamp. I guess he was just a dude dopped up on crap.

But what about that hand? Well MGS3 had kind of already given an answer, you just had to piece stuff together. He's the son of the boss and the Sorrow. The Sorrow has powers(were they also just nanomachienes now) and maybe Ocelot has latent psychic powers. Ok whatever it dosen't make sense, but in MGS's dumb world it does. Cool, I get it and I've accepted it. Oh, but everyone needs a super clear answer. So lets just ruin everything. Remember the Boss? She had a cool sacrifice, lets try that again with Ocelot. he's been pretending this whole time! He's actually very noble. haha what? How does this jive with previous appearances? And thanks Kojima, you somehow made a dumber plot with the "actually he hypnotized himself". That is such a stretch where in a series where the ideas of genes and powers is already so silly the hand thing made sense.

There's other characterizations and story plots I don't like, but they don't have to do with what we're talking about. PW does though, because it's further desire to explain everything takes a crap on Big Boss, Boss, and MGS3 in general.

In MGS3 it was pretty clear Big Boss became the guy he is in MG because he felt sour about the Boss. Thats what the damn cutscene where he refuses the medal is all about. Yet we've now had two games try to do what the one cutscene did all because the missing links or whatever need to be seen.

In PO we find out actually Volgin was in on Snake Eater? Ok that dosen't make sense. And the rest of the game is a lame story that dosen't really add anything.

Then comes PW where we actually find out no the Boss was set up and it really was a hit. Which of course takes away from her just being the really noble soldier who took on this mission that would kill her and her reputation. No it wasn't just a mission gone bad, the government planned it all thanks to Coleman, this villain we didn't need.

And then we've just had emo Big Boss who I guess got over the Boss or maybe he did'nt. Who knows? it keeps changing, but I do know that HE IS NOT A GUN.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
did you consider that spoiler[the Returners died after Kefka destroyed the world?]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon:
Quote:
2. how old are you, were'nt you complaining about women only liking douchebags. That sounds like a young man's complaint.

Let's just say old enough.

Quote:
If you're relating to it and think that this is some deep poetic and nuanced storytelling then god helop you.

Again, you really don't get it, until it happens to you.

Quote:
Remember the Boss? She had a cool sacrifice, lets try that again with Ocelot. he's been pretending this whole time! He's actually very noble. haha what? How does this jive with previous appearances? And thanks Kojima, you somehow made a dumber plot with the "actually he hypnotized himself".

Actually, the Boss was annoying, and frankly, all I could think of was good riddance.

Quote:
Which of course takes away from her just being the really noble soldier who took on this mission that would kill her and her reputation.

It's not the first or the last twist in MGS, and you know it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
The word is called retcon, not twist.

Anyway I'm done arguing with you. You are as nonsensical as can be.

There's nothing to get, the fact that you are using an inane "you're not old enough to understand aging" for a game that literally beats you over the head with what aging means in the most non subtle and non deep way is quite honestly retarded.

There's nothing to get and it's not even an actual defense.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
WitchWatcher wrote:
did you consider that spoiler[[the Returners died after Kefka destroyed the world?]]

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Gray area.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon:
Quote:
a game that literally beats you over the head with what aging means in the most non subtle and non deep way

That's because, like life, that shit is unexpected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3