• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does the musical style of anime differ from cartoons?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Western animation still produces plenty of high quality productions that do use music effectively

Disney/Pixar movies perhaps, though I can't think of any TV cartoons with good music.. catchy themes maybe like 80s Ninja Turtles, but that's about it. Probably more nostalgia as well.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Quantity over quality? 200 tracks for what? Are these worth listening on it's own?

I think so, there's a lot of great tracks on the five (or was it six) OSTs they released for the show. They're all definitely worth listening to. Some songs were only played one time in one scene, which is fairly impressive.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote
Yes, it's impressive that someone realised that more produced songs-> more CDs to sell to die hard fans.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
I would have gone with composers tailoring a piece of music to fit a scene perfectly rather than using a random song they previously used, but I suppose if you're a pessimist your view works as well Surprised
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
It would be great if the developed OSTs were just a matter of polishing the series to perfection, but everyone is aware of the fact that anime and it's merchandise must sell. Again I have nothing about that as long as I don't have an impression that next motive is just a matter of squeezing more money from me. For example- "The world the Gods only knows" and Kanon songs. OK. She is the singer. Fairly new one, so one pop song would be enough to prove that. No, it won't. Several songs that sounds exactly the same.

Sometimes the less is better- soundtracks for Noir or Cowboy Bebop doesn't look impressive, but when you turn the on... raine the hats and bow down.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
For example- "The world the Gods only knows" and Kanon songs. OK. She is the singer. Fairly new one, so one pop song would be enough to prove that. No, it won't. Several songs that sounds exactly the same.

I maybe a weird one here, but I don't even care for the songs as much as I care for the actual score. I guess some focus on other things than me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2