• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (spoilers)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Aki was never in a Final Fantasy game, The Spirits Within was a stand alone concept.

The fanboys were upset because word came out about a Final Fantasy movie so they were understandably excited, only to eventually find out the movie had nothing to do with the source material. Now while it is true that each Final Fantasy game has a different and independent story they do still all contain common elements. These elements were absent from the movie, it simply had nothing Final Fantasy about it but the name.

Now this has two effects, it angers the fanbase of the Final Fantasy franchise who are looking forward to a movie that lives up to the franchise it's named after and they're a fan of. So when it turns out the movie ignores the staples of the franchise they are understandably upset. Then it also manages to keep away those who know nothing about the game but may otherwise still enjoy the movie. In the end it was really poor marketing on Square's part and they did pay for it. If it wasn't billed as Final Fantasy I honestly believe it would have done better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that the only resemblance between every FF game was the prescence of a character named Cid. I only know of one which was Cid from FF7. And of course Dr. Cid from TSW.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The FF series has other common elements like magical beings you can summon to damage your foes (Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut are regulars), big yellow birds called chocobos you can ride around, little white flying critters called moogles, sometimes two guys named Biggs and Wedge (yes, like the X-Wing pilots from Star Wars) and signature pieces of music like the victory fanfare.
adonais

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
So I'll be the heretic here, then, and admit that I actually liked The Spirits Within better than Advent Children. Why? I think, because, watching AC felt more like watching a computer game than a movie. And much as I love games, I'd rather be the one playing, you know - looking on someone else playing isn't quite so fun anymore (and this was, after all, a movie).

I guess my viewing experience of AC was somewhat limited by not having played the game. But then, FF "The Spirits Within" was quite enjoyable without any background knowledge whatsoever Smile
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
I read somewhere that the only resemblance between every FF game was the prescence of a character named Cid. I only know of one which was Cid from FF7. And of course Dr. Cid from TSW.

There's practically a Cid in every Final Fantasy. In VII, you have Cid who is a pilot. VIII, you have Headmaster Cid of the school, in IX, you have that... weird wallop(?) thing that's Cid. In X, you have Rikku's dad who's name is Cid.

S-E really likes that name for some reason.

Anywho, FF: TSW wasn't horrible, but it isn't something I could watch more than once a year as well. I mean, yes, the graphics were outstanding (when it came out, FFVII: AC kinda beat it with it's top notch CG skills), but the story line... wasn't really interesting. Yes, like many Final Fantasy's, it's about saving the world, but for some reason, this story really made me bored. I'm not really into these enormous love scenes they put in there either. I mean, come on, who else wanted to gag on the kissing scene?

But yeah, my take on this movie is, great, but it seriously needed a more appealing story. I bought the movie out of pity for S-E... or what was known as just "Squaresoft" at that time.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Anime_Newcomer wrote:

There's practically a Cid in every Final Fantasy. In VII, you have Cid who is a pilot. VIII, you have Headmaster Cid of the school, in IX, you have that... weird wallop(?) thing that's Cid. In X, you have Rikku's dad who's name is Cid.

Don't forget the hazmat suit-clad Cid from VI. Or as fans affectionately call him, "The Hotdog". Razz

Besides a guy named Cid some monsters and the Lifestream from VII, TSW didn't have much in common with the franchise, and ultimately seemed like just another Aliens clone. Would it have hurt to add some swordfights and Aki throwing fireballs and whatnot?

You know, if TSW was based directly on VII, Steve Buscemi and Ving Rhames would've been awesome as Reno and Rude. Cool
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Reno and Rude were great in FFVII, I wouldn't have changed their VA's, one of the few things about Advent Children I actually liked.

While it is true that the games are not directly related to one another they do tend to share common elements. There's generally always a mix of fantasy and technology, they often contain summons, similar combat systems, similar story and character styles, similar music, things such as moogles, items and weapons and even characters named Cid, and of course the absence of labelling the planet they're on as earth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well... I saw both movies, and I prefer AC. Better plot, cooler characters and better animations.

Besides, I loved Tifa's fight scene.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2