• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Fusion Slated for CW, Nickelodeon This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
A Dub SHOULDN'T be the exact same as the Japanese and it's perfectly understandable that a few small details would be edited for the kids over here.

Quote:
a few small details

>_> A few small details wouldn't have made that interview some dub watcher did with the creator as awkward as it was when the creator had to keep correcting them on their plot facts because all their information was based on the dub version which heavily changed lots of stuff.

Divineking wrote:
Normally I wouldn't that worried about the Nickelodeon airing. Legend of Korra aired on there and arguably had roughly the same depictions of violence than Xros Wars did on a regular basis

Digimon's way more violent than Korra. People actually get hurt, impalement, on-screen death x_x Xros Wars is probably going to be more heavily edited than the earlier series.

Polycell wrote:
Just looking at a picture of Mervamon, it looks like they'd just need a shirt and maybe paint on some longer shorts to get her to the Daisy Duke standard. However, given that her Digimon Wiki page mentions "sensuality" quite a few time in the lede, I could easily be underestimating the work involved.

Most of her attacks are sex/fanservice-based x_x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0W3ueD_jPU

Even her partner isn't much less sexualized.
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Digimon's way more violent than Korra. People actually get hurt, impalement, on-screen death x_x Xros Wars is probably going to be more heavily edited than the earlier series.

Uh, no. People in Korra actually got hurt too, and it got pretty morbid at times, spoiler[plus Amon's death in the season 1 finale].
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:

Yes the Digimon dub does change quite a bit. I don't regularly watch dubs, but having seen both in this case, I preferred the dub. Also name changes are really completely inconsequential. So they can go right ahead and do that for all I care.

Tamers, Frontier and Data Squad didn't change all that much from their opposites, aside from changing (or adding) some jokes and the name changes. Plot was pretty much the same. The only major edits I recall was complete cut of Sexy Dynamite in Frontier and the editing of the blood out of Savers.

That aside, Tamers got away with a lot as it was near when they transferred the license from Saban to Disney.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

I've seen the japanese version of Xros Wars. Most of the violence happens towards the Digimon and not the human characters which would be where any major censorship would be an issue. Since they fade into pixels and don't bleed everywhere the soccer moms don't care as much.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Crispy45"]
zeo1fan wrote:
A Dub SHOULDN'T be the exact same as the Japanese and it's perfectly understandable that a few small details would be edited for the kids over here.

Quote:
a few small details

>_> A few small details wouldn't have made that interview some dub watcher did with the creator as awkward as it was when the creator had to keep correcting them on their plot facts because all their information was based on the dub version which heavily changed lots of stuff.

Excuse me, what are you citing? You're not providing any context for this.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
UGH!! I don't get it, do you people (and by "you people", I mean mostly zero1fan since he keeps doing this) have something against the, "no excessively quoting" rule or something?
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Yes the Digimon dub does change quite a bit. I don't regularly watch dubs, but having seen both in this case, I preferred the dub. Also name changes are really completely inconsequential. So they can go right ahead and do that for all I care.

Tamers, Frontier and Data Squad didn't change all that much from their opposites, aside from changing (or adding) some jokes and the name changes. Plot was pretty much the same. The only major edits I recall was complete cut of Sexy Dynamite in Frontier and the editing of the blood out of Savers..

Savers also has a lot of fanservice edits.
R. Glover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
They aired Dragonball Z Kai and Dragonball GT on Nicktoons. Is this more violent than either of those? There were edits, of course, and I imagine they'll do what they feel is needed here too - I don't think the title is too out of place at this point, though.

But they're no longer on Nicktoons, making DBZ Kai Vortexx-exclusive (at least on TV and Kabillion).
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
UGH!! I don't get it, do you people (and by "you people", I mean mostly zero1fan since he keeps doing this) have something against the, "no excessively quoting" rule or something?

Who's zero1fan? Razz

Is my name really all that hard to remember?

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The excessively-quoted posts have been removed. Please read this to understand why your post was removed and how to further avoid it so you don't waste your time only to have said posts removed in the first place.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
spoiler[plus Amon's death in the season 1 finale].

Did he? You know, it was really unclear. Laughing That's the problem, you can't be direct or actually show anything on screen. Digimon doesn't have that problem so it's going to be more of an issue with censors. Korra is extremely tame by comparison from what I've seen so it's not a good comparison. Digimon is a lot more direct and unapologetic about it's content.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Is my name really all that hard to remember?

Is the "not excessively quoting" rule that hard to remember?
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Digimon is a lot more direct and unapologetic about it's content.

Digimon is one of the least objectionable anime I've ever seen.

Besides that, directly showing intense conflict does not make a show superior. While I have issues with the writing of that ending, the aforementioned scene in Korra is very powerful, because of how it's implied. Making that possible is far more skillful then just showing it, as it leaves the scene up to the audience's imagination.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Will there be different edits for The CW and Nick like there was with DBZ Kai?
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Did he? You know, it was really unclear. Laughing That's the problem, you can't be direct or actually show anything on screen. Digimon doesn't have that problem so it's going to be more of an issue with censors. Korra is extremely tame by comparison from what I've seen so it's not a good comparison. Digimon is a lot more direct and unapologetic about it's content.

Eh I wouldn't say Digimon is really that "unapologetic" in terms of violence when as mentioned earlier said violence is pretty much only directed towards the Digimon and since they "die" by fading into pixels I doubt it's gonna have soccer moms up in arms or anything if it's mostly left untouched. Some of said violence does have it's serious reprecussions in the show from time to time, but if Tamers was left mostly in tact(and that had waaaaaaayyyyy more objectionable content than this incarnation) this probably won't be that censored violence wise. Well again provided they create a slightly less edited version for the Nick airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3