• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Watered Down Weather

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Personally, I consider Godannar!! as a Perishable Item. It's a major insult to the super robot genre, not to mention a sad attempt at ecchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
Well I don't know about 75 percent of ADV's stuff being crap. Really I've found that most companies go through good cycles and bad cycles. Granted prior to the release of Full Metal Panic, ADV seemed to be a slump, but they've been coming out of it recently (i.e. I'm really enjoying Gantz). And in all honesty Geneon and Bandai have released enough of their own junk (Pilot Candidate anyone?) that I think it's a little unfair to rag on ADV.

But CPM or Media Works they do deserve to get ragged on. Often and a lot.
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Why is it that ADV always licenses the crappy stuff? At least 25% of their library is pure garbage filled with outdated harem hijinx, cliches, and unneeded fanservice.

Starwind Amada wrote:
remember love wrote:
What you hate starwind doesn't mean everyone else hates them.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I never said that what I hate, everyone hates. You just assumed that. That was not what I meant. I was just saying that a lot of their titles are unoriginal and filled with cliches and other tired themes we've all seen countless times before.

Your post implied that you don't like the stuff ADV was bringing out because you were calling it crap and you went as far as calling some of it garbage and I'm stating the just because you think it's crappy or to be garbage doesn't mean that someone else finds it crappy, there bringing it out for a reason because some people like them.

So your basically saying that ADV is bringing out stuff you yourself do not like because I don't think that they are crap. Some of them I may dislike?Yes, but I respect that others may find the ones I dislike quite enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Personally, I consider Godannar!! as a Perishable Item. It's a major insult to the super robot genre, not to mention a sad attempt at ecchi.

Can you explain why? This just doesn't make any sense to me. It revels in colorful super robot-ness in a way I haven't seen since Mazinkaiser. If there's anything it fails at, being a super robot show isn't one of them. Really...what?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
The fight scenes were really awesome and brilliantly animated - I don't see where "repetitive" comes from. Sure, "robot kills monsters over and over", but it's done with so much flair and flashy posing that it's exciting every time.

It's repetitive in the same way that Sailor Moon is repetitive--because it's the same fight moves every time. If they're going to solve every fight with a Heart Breaker followed up by a Soul Breaker, then it's not interesting to me. If I'm going to be stuck watching the same transformation sequences 5 minutes out of every 25, it's not interesting to me.

Quote:

I don't see why you think the story doesn't make any sense, since aside from not explaining what the Mimetic Beasts are (not that it's anything new to not explain what the bad guys are in the early episodes of an anime) and the mysteries of Mira and Club Mariner's return, things are laid out pretty clearly.

It doesn't make sense because for the time being, there's no series story. You have this MAJOR event like aliens invading earth, but all of that's pushed to the back. There are times when that's okay, like in Saikano, but when you have a mecha fighting show, with all of the characters' lives revolving around this, there needs to be an explanation of what's going on, or at least how the current events are tied to the war that happened 5 years ago.

Quote:

I really hope people don't cast this aside as "lol just another tits 'n robots show", because while you'll probably enjoy it the most of you're into robots and/or fan service, it's the great characters that help to put this show ahead of so many others. It's just too fun to miss.

I, for one, am certainly not planning on casting it aside. I wasn't impressed with the first volume, but it has piqued my interest, and frankly, I'm interested to see where it will go from here. People tell me that Godannar gets better once the story unravels a bit more, but since I've only seen the first 5 episodes, I just have to wait and see for myself.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kagemusha"]
Quote:
I'm also tempted to buy Planetes, as the manga holds a special place in my heart, but there's the fear that I'll be horribly disappointed with the adaptation. Can anyone compare the two?

The anime has more slapstick and adds many new people to the fray. It takes itself a lot less seriously at times, like ep. 6. It's an interesting show but I'm ten episodes in and I still prefer the manga. They haven't even mentioned the mission to Jupitor yet. I think you should buy it but it will disapoint you if you expect it to be as good.
marshall_b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I read shelf life for the first time today, I must say I really enjoyed Dong's writing style Smile

it's not patronizing, it's simple ^^ and yet, mannages to be sophisticated. well, I'm sure I sound silly, but I really enjoyed reading his reviews Smile
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
marshall_b wrote:
his reviews Smile

Her Smile
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
marshall_b wrote:
I read shelf life for the first time today, I must say I really enjoyed Dong's writing style Smile

it's not patronizing, it's simple ^^ and yet, mannages to be sophisticated. well, I'm sure I sound silly, but I really enjoyed reading his reviews Smile

Bamboo's master plan is working, dammit! Very Happy

Seriously, though, she's an excellent writer, and I love her work both here, in Protoculture Addicts, and in Anime Insider. I'm glad you like her style as well. Make sure you go to the archives and read her past Shelf Life columns, my friend. Idea
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has lived right across the water from Galveston for 32 years, I feel your pain Bamboo. I may be used to the climate, but I don't like it one bit. I am so thankfull for AC every day.

Planetes vol 2 was fantastic! Especially the Yuri episode. Talk about grabbing you by the heart! I keep reading good reviews about Koi Kaze. It is definitely on my "to buy" list. Same with Kodocha.

Great article, Bamboo! Oh and BTW, I escape to the Denver area at least once a year. You are lucky Very Happy
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Can you explain why? This just doesn't make any sense to me. It revels in colorful super robot-ness in a way I haven't seen since Mazinkaiser. If there's anything it fails at, being a super robot show isn't one of them. Really...what?

Super Robot anime is all about action. And Godannar!! is almost devoid of it. Not to mention that the mecha designs are completely uninspriring. It's like the production team decided to just draw a couple of robots into an ecchi anime title in an attempt to draw in the mecha fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, i never heard of any of these, i really need to buckle down on my anime.... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
Wow, i never heard of any of these, i really need to buckle down on my anime.... Shocked

There's probably a lot of anime you never heard of. I would say that I'm an extremem big fan of anime. But there is still a lot of anime I never heard of. So don't beat yourself up with it, your probably jsut as big as a fan as I am. And if you want to hear about these anime titles the aniem encyclopedia with there reviews will help alot. Just go in there and look at any anime you want even if you never heard of it from someone and see if you'd be interested in stuff like that. That's what I did for some of my newer titles I got in ym collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:02 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Super Robot anime is all about action. And Godannar!! is almost devoid of it. Not to mention that the mecha designs are completely uninspriring. It's like the production team decided to just draw a couple of robots into an ecchi anime title in an attempt to draw in the mecha fans.

This sounds more like Gravion than Godannar, IMO. Wink
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:30 am Reply with quote
remember love wrote:

There's probably a lot of anime you never heard of. I would say that I'm an extremem big fan of anime. But there is still a lot of anime I never heard of. So don't beat yourself up with it, your probably jsut as big as a fan as I am. And if you want to hear about these anime titles the aniem encyclopedia with there reviews will help alot. Just go in there and look at any anime you want even if you never heard of it from someone and see if you'd be interested in stuff like that. That's what I did for some of my newer titles I got in ym collection.

Yeah your right, Im just kind of used to knowing at least one title on a Shelf Life Review. Wink lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3