• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds 1994 Japanese-American Mega Man TV Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mega, Mega!, Sorry, still have the action figures.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I haven't seen much of this show, but it looks neat, it's cool to see Discotek pick up some American cartoons. Very Happy I wonder how they were able to pick this up.

They most likely got it from Capcom, who I believe has all rights to their cartoon adaptations which would make sense with the way they have released some of them in the past (first episode on the PS2 version of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, the entire Street Fighter cartoon on Blu-ray as part of that game's big anniversary box set).

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Now if this does well enough for D-tek to Justify saving the Darkstalkers Cartoon as well as the Darkstalkers, Megaman, & Sonic The Hedgehog OVAs, well that would be just awesome!

If Discotek's smart, they wouldn't go anywhere near that one. The show was the least popular of the three (only running for one season unlike Mega Man & Street Fighter) and judging by the very cheap prices on Amazon, it was not much of a seller when ADV had it.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:14 am Reply with quote
I'm glad this title is being relicensed cause the DVDs for it are scarce to come by. I only remenber seeing like a couple episodes of this show, though I wouldn't mind watching the whole series when Discotek releases their own DVDs of it, cause I find animated adaptations of a video game to be entertaining regardless of wether its good or not.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Is this the show with Gutsman's ass?
With all intents and purposes, yes, so much...dun dun...>_>
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Please tell me they'll get the Upon A Star OVA next.

Somehow I liked that a lot better, if only because Mega Man was the right age/size and it felt more like the games despite being shoveled into a "Let's learn about Japan" shtick.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Is this the show with Gutsman's ass?

It is. Rolling Eyes

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
kabakabafruit wrote:
27 episodes? Confused

Isn't the number supposed to be 65?

Nope, only 27 episodes were made (the show got high ratings, but apparently ran into budget problems).

I recall it only airing on the weekends Just checking Wikipedia, I see it was posited as a weekend morning cartoon that local stations could pick up in syndication so that part makes sense. There was two seasons worth of roughly 13 episodes each (though the second season had 14). They weren't pushing this as a five-days-a-week thing though I'm sure they were heading there.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yes!
penguintruth wrote:
"Super fighting robot... Mega Man!"

Soundtrack as later heard in the Westwood dub of DBZ!

Super ighting robot Mega Man, Super ighting robot Mega Man, Super ighting robot Mega Man. this bring back my nostalgia Anime hyper

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Glad to see this get saved I have the first ADV Kids set, but never was able to track down the second. So glad to see the whole thing avalible again.

And yeah, its a pretty cheesy cartoon, but its fun.

Now if this does well enough for D-tek to Justify saving the Darkstalkers Cartoon as well as the Darkstalkers, Megaman, & Sonic The Hedgehog OVAs, well that would be just awesome! Deff gonna get this when it comes out early next year.

Yep, between SSB4 & this, today is a good day to be a Mega Man fanboy!
Darkstalkers : We the Darkstalkers! no thanks DX
the rest I agree.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
oh dear, irony appreciation levels are through the roof!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
I recall it only airing on the weekends Just checking Wikipedia, I see it was posited as a weekend morning cartoon that local stations could pick up in syndication so that part makes sense. There was two seasons worth of roughly 13 episodes each (though the second season had 14). They weren't pushing this as a five-days-a-week thing though I'm sure they were heading there.

Which they did since it aired over here on weekday afternoons at 2:30 on the former WB11 where I first watched it (along with Samurai Pizza Cats) during summer break.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Good lord that cover-art.

Anyway, that cartoon was realy bad. It wasn't anything like the games. Rush talked like Scooby Doo, Blues was evil and working for Wily for no discernible reason when he's a good guy in the games. They tried to make Roll some "girl power" stereotype but still made her weapons like vacuum cleaners and cooking pans which might have been a parody of the whole 'girl power' thing I dunno, but it was pretty silly and self-defeating of the whole issue.

I'd rather they release EXE and Ryuusei uncut and subbed here, but I guess that's too wishful thinking.

From what I've seen of EXE, it ain't much better. I personally can't watch EXE because of how much more lighthearted it is than the game's plots.

This cartoon, though? This takes me back. I'm totally gonna buy this once it's released.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't what "Mega Man" show TitanXL was watching,but it sure wasn't the one I remember. One of his immense errors was that Mega-Man was working for Dr. Wily. He wasn't. He was working for Dr. Light who created him. In this series,Dr. Wily was Dr. Light's assistant. But something went wrong with a robot they were developing and it went haywire.
Dr. Wily got angry,stole the plans and the robot they were developing and became a criminal. It was Proto Man who was working for Dr. Wily,not Mega Man. In the series,he started off as Rock,a robot Dr. Light created along with Roll. They were both kidnapped or in this case,robotnapped by Dr. Wily. He attempted to turn them into evil robots,but Rock saved both him and Roll from that fate by lying to Dr. Wily.

Dr. Light transformed Rock into Mega Man to fight against Dr. Wily and his robots. One of the American Mega Man's most memorable abilities was his ability to mimic the powers of his adversaries. He had a neat blaster that was useful,but he also had a function that could copy the powers of his opponents. And that was an extremely useful skill which saved his neck a bunch of times.
I also think TitanXL got Roll wrong as well. Yes,she was a robot designed for housework but she was pretty useful in a fight when it counted. Her vacuum attachment was strong enough to take robots apart. She was also pretty good in a fight. TitanXL also complains about Rush sounding like Scooby-Doo. Well,the American company responsible for this series was Ruby-Spears. The owners of this studio helped create "Scooby-Doo" It's not terribly surprising that a little bit of that would influence the character of Rush.

It's good that Discotek is rereleasing the old series. I'd love to see another American version of "Mega Man" if it were possible. I doubt that someone like TitanXL would like it,but I would.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Man Discotek is on a roll for some old classic fun.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't what "Mega Man" show TitanXL was watching,but it sure wasn't the one I remember. One of his immense errors was that Mega-Man was working for Dr. Wily. He wasn't.

Blues is the Japanese name of Protoman.

Snomaster1 wrote:

TitanXL also complains about Rush sounding like Scooby-Doo. Well,the American company responsible for this series was Ruby-Spears. The owners of this studio helped create "Scooby-Doo" It's not terribly surprising that a little bit of that would influence the character of Rush.

I remember reading in an interview somewhere that the "Rush as Scooby-Doo" thing was an order from Capcom or something. The director of the show didn't come up with that idea. This bolding thing is fun.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Duuuuuuude, I watched that Mega Man show when a kid. I took a look at some clips on Youtube to refresh my memory and did not realize how cheesy the show was. And yet I loved it when I was younger. Anime hyper

Slightly off topic but Discotek just announced today on their Facebook that they got the rights for Dr.Slump movies 1-5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well,it's interesting to hear from you,GVman. I didn't know that the Japanese name of Protoman was Blues. I thought it was a nickname of Mega-Man. I also didn't know that Capcom wanted the Scooby-Doo thing. I thought that Ruby-Spears did it on it's own. I don't know if this show ever got to Japan. They'd be amazed at this show and the changes Ruby-Spears made to this.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure who it was who told the production staff to Scooby-Dooify Rush, so don't take my word that it's Capcom's fault. I am about 95% sure that the production staff was ordered to do it, though.

I'm kinda shocked that you've never heard that Proto Man's original name was Blues. Oh well. On another note, Proto Man has also been called Break Man in some of the older translations of Megaman games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3