• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PS4 Is Region Free, But Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
Wii U costs 300 and has the worst online capability of any online console. PS4 costs you 400, and you can still play all your games offline, and do everything else online including netflix, browsing etc.

Oh and the Wii U has a friggin 8 gb hardrive, so yea if you add up costs the Wii U with an external hdd of any reasonable size will end up setting you back at least 350-400 anyway.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
To be fair, Nintendo's Direct isn't until later today - let's see what they have to announce first.

I own a Wii U, but I will also be buying a PlayStation 4 at some point. So I get my good first party stuff, as well as my solid third party.

Either way though, Microsoft have just lost themselves this console generation.

CrownKlown wrote:

Oh and the Wii U has a friggin 8 gb hardrive, so yea if you add up costs the Wii U with an external hdd of any reasonable size will end up setting you back at least 350-400 anyway.

There is the 32GB model. While that still isn't much, I just buy my full games as retail discs.
sonic7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
sonic7 wrote:
It is called a PC my friend. Plays the same stuff, barring a few select console exclusives. Cool

Yes though the PC has always existed alongside consoles and has always played the same stuff except for few exclusives. You're too late to join the PC master race.

Except the PS3 introduced the Blu-ray format, so I could justify having a PS3 for media purposes in addition to gaming. PS4 does not offer any added value for me currently over PS3 or PC for either media or gaming. Wake me when the PS5 has the replacement to Blu-ray and/or a fully immersive virtual world for gaming.

@CrownKlown - My point with the Wii U is it caters to parents, socialites, and families in general (they are a bigger market segment than the hardcore gamer), was first to market, and costs less than the others up front. Online is free (even if the games are not the best on the whole) and you can resell your used games yourself. This usually translates into more short run sales and the staple Mario titles will spike sales come holiday time too.

I do not think for one second Wii U is the best system hardware-wise, that is lunacy just looking at specs alone. I do think consumers make decisions at the margins and will go for the cheaper option or none at all when they see added costs or restrictions with the competition now. If the PS4 or Xbox One have a bunch of hot titles hit shelves next year, people will buy then if they are not completely turned off by some of the additional costs/restrictions now.

I think charging for online multiplayer on the PS4 is going to hurt sales at launch given Sony's shaky online security record and the potential for hardware bugs in the first gen. They can win the war if they make sure online is the best experience for the money and the user data is secure. Sony really needs to prove itself if it wants to charge a fee for online.
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad PS4 is Region Free cause i buy a couple Japanese games once and awhile, having to buy a whole console again would suck, ah the good old ps2 days
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
I just think it's interesting how Sony was applauded not because it was actually great (seriously it was a B- at BEST) but because MS screwed up that badly. We should expect no DRM as a GIVEN, not think of it as a unique thing.

Now just to wait for Nintendo. Their Direct is what I'm REALLY interested in.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
Sony fanboys can no longer complain that the Xbox's online costs. Too bad Microsoft screwed up everything else, so it no longer matters.

CrownKlown wrote:
Wii U costs 300 and has the worst online capability of any online console.

Even worse than the PS3 ? I doubt that.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
1300 yen for 90 days in Japan but $10 for 30 days in North America? That may need to be double-checked, I hope.

The article says $7/30 days in the U.S. These prices are to be expected considering Japan's current tussle with deflation and our infatuation with inflation.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
I'm just glad PS4 is Region Free cause i buy a couple Japanese games once and awhile, having to buy a whole console again would suck, ah the good old ps2 days

Does this also apply for Blu Rays as well? So for example, does that mean we could buy the Manga UK Cowboy Bebop Blu Rays and play this on the PS4?
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Glad they kept the region free, I always play Japanese games but sometimes I get interested in some Us games, I never had legit internet for gaming so the online subscribe doesn't bother me. although I hate it when everyone pays differently for the same service.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Good news for the region free info just in case I want to import games. Disappointed about online. Although I don't really play alot of online modes in games, its the principle of the matter. At least you do get somewhat of a good value with PS+ and I understand they need to maintain severs. So close to a perfect outcome. Will probably wait like Wii U for a bit of a price drop.
itchymas24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
I haven't read it on any.articles yet, and this might be a stupid question but can it play PS3 and PS2 games
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
The PS4 network will not be free, like the PS3, this is a mistake.

but not to shocking.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:

Does this also apply for Blu Rays as well? So for example, does that mean we could buy the Manga UK Cowboy Bebop Blu Rays and play this on the PS4?

On the PS3, the games were only region locked if the developer wanted it (or, in P4A's case, was required to do so). BD were not "region locked" for most anime fans, because the US and Japan share a BD region. I don't believe that a PS3 will play UK/AU BD (or games), and I'd assume that the "region free" on the PS4 is also the same, they're looking more at people importing between US/JP, not other regions. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) with games, but I doubt with BD.

itchymas24 wrote:
I haven't read it on any.articles yet, and this might be a stupid question but can it play PS3 and PS2 games

That was one of the first things announced, that it is not backwards-compatible, although there's supposed to be something released later (an update or something) that'll let you play PSN downloaded games.

Catseyetiger wrote:
The PS4 network will not be free, like the PS3, this is a mistake.

but not to shocking.

Only for online multiplayer games. Everything else is free, unlike XBL which requires a gold account for anything online.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="Dessa"]
Toriko36 wrote:

On the PS3, the games were only region locked if the developer wanted it (or, in P4A's case, was required to do so). BD were not "region locked" for most anime fans, because the US and Japan share a BD region. I don't believe that a PS3 will play UK/AU BD (or games), and I'd assume that the "region free" on the PS4 is also the same, they're looking more at people importing between US/JP, not other regions. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) with games, but I doubt with BD.

Right, I do own a few Japanese Blu Rays and have had no issues with this, which is great. I was curious as to the "region free" because the UK/AU, i.e. Manga UK, has alot of titles available on Blu Ray (that are not yet available on Region A, but that may change by the time the PS4 is released) that are region B and was wondering if the PS4 would be region free and allow playback on all region codes; A, B and C.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Its actually 4.99$ a month anime news network needs to edit that
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5