• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Industrial Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...is that an archetype that's been around for years?

Yeah. I'm sure it's not the first example but Lina Inverse is one of the most infamous.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine is any good. I've been thinking of playing it but I'm not really sure if a online free to play game would be a good game compared to other games in the series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
2009. And I was referring to how Last Hope was originally a 360 exclusive and the American version tweaked out the anime art to appeal to the American-focused Xbox audience. The Japanese menus were later restored in the PS3 port of the game.

...Part of me wants to say "I just don't believe it." The other part, well, you can probably imagine what it's saying. I figured that's what the PS3 version was for, but I didn't realize they changed the battle portraits and the menu for that reason. I thought that was intended to be part of the game to begin with. Even 2009 was anime paranoid. Good god. :0
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad we haven't seen any other messes like Star Ocean for 360. In this day and age, there is absolutely no reason to try to Westernize a JRPG. Is anyone who would be turned off by anime art going to be playing a game with a half naked 12 year old looking catgirl in the first place?
Sleverin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
Does anyone know if Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine is any good. I've been thinking of playing it but I'm not really sure if a online free to play game would be a good game compared to other games in the series.

I haven't played it, or even heard of it until now, but looking it up it sounded pretty interesting. Very JRPG grindy though, one of the reviews noted. I would like to point out however that F2P doesn't mean a bad product. Those games, from what I understand, make more money than their subscription based counterparts, as people are impulsive in buying in game items. DDO is a good example of a F2P game doing well, and I think there are quite a few more. I myself don't want to play F2P games more because I don't like being locked out of potential core features, or having to spend a bunch of money just to reach endgame, when I could just have it all there through subscription fees.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:

It's...okay. Pretty easy to play but there are some dungeons that you'd probably have to team up with some other people to get through. I played it when it was in its beta but I didn't find it interesting enough to keep going with, I'm not really into MMOs or paying IRL money for costumes. And from what I've looked at online I don't think the english version has had many of the Japanese version's special events either.

I think it's good to try if you want an SMT game with character customization and being able to interact with other fans but overall it's average.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Japan doesn't really make that many (non-VN) PC games. You may get the occasional port of a console title, but the vast majority of the Japanese market is VN and western-made titles.

I haven't been keeping track lately but aren't there still fighters, shooters, and platform doujin games?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Considering much of what Atlus has done with all the religious and occultist symbols, hell they should do a game that has themes containing conspiracy and Illuminati craziness. Hell Bioshock does it's wonder of driving past ideology in making a game. I need to give that game a sit through.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Considering much of what Atlus has done with all the religious and occultist symbols, hell they should do a game that has themes containing conspiracy and Illuminati craziness. Hell Bioshock does it's wonder of driving past ideology in making a game. I need to give that game a sit through.

Except that some of the really good Atlus games have some great narration and don't need to become another Metal Gear. Demons and all the Jungian imagery and such is a good use of the West interacting with the East, let's not foul it up with conspiracy theories.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Todd, I recommend you read this interesting articles about what Takumi Naramura (La-Mulana) had to say about the state of the Japanese indie scene and the difficulty Japanese developers have getting their wares distributed even through channels like Steam.

In short, there's still plenty of red-tape out them making it difficult for devs to get their games across lest they hand them out to big companies or publishers that would take control of all the assets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2