• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
I want to know!
You can make it breif if you want, but that sounds interesting.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I prefer the "Soul Reaper" translation better as well. I mean, with the term "Death God" it makes them sounds waaay more powerful than they really are.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
Confused but that's what they are...
...death gods

I guess it's just a different understanding of the term. I liked "soul reaper" at first until I knew what shinigami meant. Soul reaper sounds a bit too "kiddy" to me now.

whatever. It's still a kickass show.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
Well it looks like this "Soul Reaper" and "Death God" Debate will be a hot button when the license comes.
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Well it looks like this "Soul Reaper" and "Death God" Debate will be a hot button when the license comes.

Personally, it's just a minor quibble to me. Regardless of how they translate it, it's not going to damage the story in any way.

I'm sure that since the domestic manga uses "Soul Reaper", it's more than likely going to be called that, at least the dub will. (I say this because I'm sure Bleach will be licensed within the next 2 years.)

But "Death God" could work too. Either way, I'm still waiting for the anime to be licensed here.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Personally, it's just a minor quibble to me. Regardless of how they translate it, it's not going to damage the story in any way.

I'm sure that since the domestic manga uses "Soul Reaper", it's more than likely going to be called that, at least the dub will. (I say this because I'm sure Bleach will be licensed within the next 2 years.)

But "Death God" could work too. Either way, I'm still waiting for the anime to be licensed here.

I agree. I'll still like the show regardless on what term of Shimigami they use in the dub. (I just don't want it liscened until the show is over. I don't want to wait forever until the episodes where I had to stop watching it are released. ~_~) Since I've never watched Naruto (*twitch* Fanboys..so...many.....fanboys...must...escape...swirly...headbands Anime dazed) Nor Dragonball, I can't compare them to either one of them. Bleach to me is refreshing and new. The fights scenes are great the cliffhangers make me want to die! And who ever said that Ichigo's dad is the best in history is SOOO right (and I also agree, he's right next to Yukino's dad from Kare Kano on the "greatest dad's of anime") Only a few drawbacks to bleach however.

1) It seems just a little drawn out. I love this show, buutt it seems like some things are just stretched a little bit. Example spoiler[Rescuing Rukia from the Tower. ] That has take 20+ episodes just to half way complete. They've been good mind you, but it could have been done alot quicker.

Another drawback...Orihime...She...is...annoying...as..crap!! Bleach would be alot better without here because ditzy characters (minus Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, she's too awesome for words Anime hyper) Annoy me. spoiler[Only when she got her powers did she even get remotley close to being ok.]

Other than those 2 problems, I think bleach is a really good show and if you haven't seen it SEE IT NOOOOWWW! (Just don't ANYBODY liscences it until it's DONE!! >.< )
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

I agree. I'll still like the show regardless on what term of Shimigami they use in the dub. (I just don't want it liscened until the show is over. I don't want to wait forever until the episodes where I had to stop watching it are released. ~_~) Since I've never watched Naruto (*twitch* Fanboys..so...many.....fanboys...must...escape...swirly...headbands Anime dazed) Nor Dragonball, I can't compare them to either one of them. Bleach to me is refreshing and new. The fights scenes are great the cliffhangers make me want to die! And who ever said that Ichigo's dad is the best in history is SOOO right (and I also agree, he's right next to Yukino's dad from Kare Kano on the "greatest dad's of anime") Only a few drawbacks to bleach however.

1) It seems just a little drawn out. I love this show, buutt it seems like some things are just stretched a little bit. Example spoiler[Rescuing Rukia from the Tower. ] That has take 20+ episodes just to half way complete. They've been good mind you, but it could have been done alot quicker.

Another drawback...Orihime...She...is...annoying...as..crap!! Bleach would be alot better without here because ditzy characters (minus Osaka from Azumanga Daioh, she's too awesome for words Anime hyper) Annoy me. spoiler[Only when she got her powers did she even get remotley close to being ok.]

Other than those 2 problems, I think bleach is a really good show and if you haven't seen it SEE IT NOOOOWWW! (Just don't ANYBODY liscences it until it's DONE!! >.< )

License it when it's done? Judging on the manga and series' popularity, Bleach looks like it'll be going on for a long while. At least, I hope so...
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Just tossing out this idea here: In the dub once this show is eventually licensed, how about they just use the term "shinigami" and avoid this arguement? The manga leaves certain terms untranslated, so they could still leave it untranslated.

But if they have to translate it, "soul reaper" works much better than "death god." Whatever the original words said, they are much more like reapers than gods. Isn't the point of translation not to just translate the words directly, but to translate the overall meaning of the words into another language? I think that if Bleach was originally made in English, they would certainly use "soul reaper" as opposed to "death god."

So...any bets on who will license Bleach? I'm putting my money on Viz after (another) long rights battle.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I say eather Geneon or FUNimation will licence Bleach. Why Gereon? look at the Destsu is part of the Bleach staff.

And how can someone hate Orihime? I love her and her antics.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Because she has no pactical use. spoiler[She won't battle, obviously, and she's too weak to. Even Ishda said, she has no will to fight THEN WHY THE HECK IS SHE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!?? ] She would be good paried with Ishida, but other than that I honestly can't see why she's in the show at all.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Because she has no pactical use. spoiler[She won't battle, obviously, and she's too weak to. Even Ishda said, she has no will to fight THEN WHY THE HECK IS SHE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!?? ] She would be good paried with Ishida, but other than that I honestly can't see why she's in the show at all.

Because she is a a ditz, and she is a fanboy favorte. Her chest size also helps.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

Because she is a a ditz, and she is a fanboy favorte. Her chest size also helps.

And since she is apparently for guys, and I'm a girl, I see no point of her being there. So how does this defend your "I love Orihime" statment?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

And since she is apparently for guys, and I'm a girl, I see no point of her being there. So how does this defend your "I love Orihime" statment?

I was just telling it as it is, I stll lover her. I always have been a sucker for girls like her.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
s...s..s..soul r..r..r..reaper ::shakes.:: that is just, Ick. Never never never, that is just wrong. And they put that in the manga? dang. I'm glad I saw the anime first then (up to 42). death god sounds way better then Soul reaper. that sounds too evil for my Rukia Chan. well, except for this one time when she did..uh, i'm not going to say. lol, i think that was is episode 39 maybe. i really don't remember. But if they translate it into english in the dub as soul reaper, i'll be pissed. But i also think that they should just leave it as Shinigami that's the best of them all, when all else fails stick to the orignal Japanese word. lol. But yeah, this show is awsome. I just hope hey don't kill it it engish. Cause then I'm just keeping it in Japanese. but I am excited for when it does get licesed. I can't wait for that day. Very Happy I also love the second opening Song. lol, i have it stuck in my head. " Ienai itami kanashimi de kizutsuita kimi mou waraenai nante hito girai nante kotoba sou iwanaide."
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:

I like Death God more, but I really don't care either way. However, I want the subtitles to say "death god" not "soul reaper." For the dub, either way is fine. Of course, using Shinigami would avoid the problem entirely...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3